“They are making a turnaround”
Review of Semiahmoo Resort

Semiahmoo Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Blaine
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The old resort failed but the new owners and management are turning this property around and you will not be disappointed. The room was clean, quiet and the new beds are most comfortable.

The walking paths along the seaside are delightful with uncluttered views, clean air, and a peaceful sense of solitude.

Room Tip: If you intend to take advantage of the miles of seaside trails, no need to book a water view room...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Cobber-Bear
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Guest,
You have certainly titled your posting very well. Semiahmoo resort golf and spa is a great destination for getaway.

Thank you for the great rating as well. The collective team of owners and management has a common goal to return the resort to the same high standards and beyond.
As you have experienced, the team is merely focused on creating the environment for relaxation and rejuvenation. We are pleased that we met your expectations.

Thank you for being part of our journey and we look forward to your next escape.

At your service,

Assistant General manager
Semiahmoo Resort Golf and spa

There are newer reviews for Semiahmoo Resort

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We had a girls night at Semiahmoo I celebration of a birthday. Our first impressions of the room were great and we were all in love with the view. The rooms were the perfect size and we never felt cramped. The beds were super comfy! We opted to have dinner in our pjs and ordered room service. The gal who delivered the meal was wonderful! Unfortunately the food was disappointing. The menu items had great potential but the burgers were dry and the crab & avocado sandwich lacked flavor. We suggest adding mini fridges, DVD players and a tea option to the rooms. The resort is beautiful and we enjoyed the small quiet rooms tucked away for reading and games. When we checked in we were not told we had continental breakfast included our room purchase, it would have been nice to know that so we could plan accordingly. We ended up missing it. Overall we really enjoyed our girls night at Semiahmoo. The staff was super friendly, the views are spectacular and the beds are comfy.

Room Tip: The Water view is worth it!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank tiffnene
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Semniahmoo Resort Golf and Spa for your recent “Girl’s getaway week end’. There is certainly good reasons it is the Washington Seaside destination.

Truly, your experience with room service was very much the exception and not the rule. Yet I have shared your comments with our restaurant management team, culinary Director and executive chef.

I truly appreciate your detailed review and do hope we have the opportunity to Semiahmoo resort again. Please contact me prior to your arrival as to make sure your next food and beverage experience is worth a five star rating.

With best regards, I look forward to you staying with us again.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

My girlfriend and I were down at Semiahmoo for a relaxing weekend. We'd stayed here before and enjoyed it and took advantage of a promotion to come back. We knew that there was new ownership and that the resort was getting a facelift and were curious to check it out.
The exterior has been painted and the color is bright and reminded me of colors I saw recently on my trip to the East Coast.
The staff is very friendly and helpful and eager to help out. Packers Oyster Bar is the only restaurant open on site and offers breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's improved a lot under a new chef and we were highly impressed - I've written a separate review on it.
Our room was a water view and we loved it, the windows open and you can hear the wind and the waves! I suspect our room is one that may be awaiting completion of an upgrade as we noticed a few holes in the wall and ceiling of the bathroom that had been patched up. They looked like old screw holes that were patched and filled in, there was no impact on our visit but visually they were hard to miss.
Our room was also equipped with a Keurig coffee maker and some Starbucks coffee. I hadn't tried this type of coffee maker before and after making coffee the two mornings I think I'll stick with my traditional drip model. There was a nice sized flat screen tv in our room and a couple of comfortable chairs, a small side table and a desk. We would have liked to have had a mini refrigerator in our room as we had some wine with us and we prefer real milk/cream for our coffee so it would have been nice to store those items rather than filling the ice bucket constantly to chill our items.
We noticed that the beds had been upgraded to a nice thick but soft and inviting mattress. They were very comfortable and we slept soundly both nights.
On one of the evenings, a staff member had started a little campfire on the beach for patrons to roast marshmallows and make smores. They provided the ingredients, roasting sticks (rods) and blankets as well! They also had some lit torches around the fireplace so that guests could see where they were going and so avoid missteps. It was nice touch and we enjoyed our roasted marshmallows.
We took advantage of the indoor tennis court and borrowed racquets and tennis balls from the Spa. A couple of the lamps in the court didn't seem to be fully on so lighting was a little off but that didn't prevent us from getting a good workout. We headed from the tennis court over to the pool and hot tub and enjoyed our time there as well.
Overall we were happy with our visit but with more renovations to be completed we can imagine that it will be a fantastic place to visit and stay when everything is finished. We look forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: The water view rooms are wonderful for sights and sounds of the ocean.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gord L

Dear Guest!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your Semiahmoo Resort Golf and Spa experience. Although you provided two very well intended (and valuable) constructive comments, I can certainly tell that you overall, you had a fantastic experience. You certainly cared enough to provide such incredible detail.

You are certainly correct those cosmetic opportunities will be addressed during the upcoming renovations.

I truly hope to see you again in the future. In the meantime, please know that the entire Semiahmoo Resort Golf and Spa team remains grateful for your posting of a review on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

we have enjoyed this resort for the last 20 Years or so, coming between 4 and 5 times a year. Enjoying the Spa and amenities. And always enjoying the dining and Room Service. WE have come so many times that we know which rooms we like. We had reserved a KIND GROUND LEVEL, NO HANDICAPP room. We arrived by 2 in the afternoon, so early enough to get a good room, they put us in the HANDICAPP ROOM! I The difference being there is no sitting area and the bathroom is different and smaller. OK we need to go to the Front Desk and change this. We went for drinks and appys for HAPPY HOUR, and 2 hours later for dinner at Packers. Its OK nothing great, but ok food and ok service. In the morning we always have ordered room service, but there service was terrible! My husband received his 3 egg omelette with 2 slice of wet bread(no toast at all) no butter and NO Jam I ordered the FRESH FRUIT AND GRANOLA. I received a few slices of honeydew and a couple of blueberries and NO GRANOLA a little cup of watery yogurt! our COFFEE for 2 was one small cup. Tried to call Room Service, they never answered, so we called the FRONT DESK, she said she would take care of it. I got LIP SERVICE. I CALLED FOR A 2ND TIME THIs time I asked to speak to the Manager she said she would send down the manager of Room Service. Again another 30 minutes and just LIP SERVICE. She finally comes another 30 minutes later, and brings my Husband some Toast. and still forgets the GRANOLA, ! WE SHOW HER THE MENU, and she goes ohh I didn't know that was on the menu. At this point we have talked to a number of people and waited over 75 minutes to get some GRANOLA. We do enjoy the location of this place and the just being on the ocean and you don't have to drive anywhere when you go for dinner. Maybe in a couple of months they will work out the kinks in this place and it can once again be a 5 star resort. We are not sure if we will try again, it has been one of our favorite couple holidays. They really need to pick it up in the service area!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trish R
Ousmane D, Assistant Genenral Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Guest,

First, please allow me to express my most sincerest apologies for the experienced you had at Semiahmoo Resort Golf and Spa

Trust in the fact that not only was your experience the exception and not the rule, but it is very contradictory to our genuine levels of service and commitment to exceeding the expectations of our guests.

I will certainly research the situation that led to your dissatisfaction and take corrective action.

Many of the experiences you encountered, most specifically those pertaining to our food and beverage and front desk staff, are most concerning to me. Our staff is solely committed to ensuring that we meet and even exceed the expectations of all our guests. Bottom line, we failed to do so.

If you have a moment, please contact me directly as I would very much enjoy learning more. There is nothing more important that correcting a deficiency as we travel down the road in pursuit of perfection.

Your loyalty to Semiahmoo is one to highlight. 20 years of making us your destination is making you family and I personally intent to make family members always welcomed.

Truly hope you will contact me directly at 360-318-2036 or via e-mail at odiop@semiahmoo.com, so I can take appropriate corrective action.

With gratitude for your constructive comments, I look forward to hearing from you and remain at your service.

Assistant General manager

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stopped over at Semiahmoo overnight, so that we could carry on the next day. Hotel has changed hands, so it's still in revamp mode. Rooms are quite nice, we had a parking lot view, as we leaving next day, so no need for ocean view. Perhaps if we stayed longer we would have spent the extra money for the view. Spa was very good. Had a pedicure done and the esthetian Chere was so nice to talk to; we gossiped like old friends. Needs a few more items on the spa menu, but I'm sure that will come in time. Happy hour was pleasant, service was a little slow, but that too will work it self out. Grounds are beautiful, nothing like an autumn walk first thing in the morning. Will definetly be back, even though I can probably see my house across the water. Looking forward to our next jaunt. Good luck Semiahmoo, you are a diamond in the rough.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank l72thomas
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Guest,

It is wonderful that you found our resort to be wonderful destination for your nice little getaway.in every way (sans the guest that was smoking in our 100% non-smoking hotel).

I truly appreciate all your kind comments and your five star rating. While reading your comments I was able to see that you find serenity, comfort and high level of service at the spa and enjoyed the resort’s setting.
I presume that your next visit will be longer than overnight and you will enjoy the resort and its activities to the fullest.

I reiterate my gratitude, I remain at your service and hope to see you at your next escape!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Returning to the Semiahmoo was a thrill. Nice to see that the place is well maintained. Rooms are very comfortable, including the king sized bed. Stayed as we attended an Assembly at the Blaine H.S.. The 15 min ride to the Semiahmoo from the H.S. was very convenient. The restaurant staff in both the Great Blue Heron and Packers were wonderful! A nice welcome, service and, by the way, the food was delicious. The homemade coconut pie was the very best! We'll be back soon! We're hoping you keep us the "specials". Price was just right.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank livvie-tom
Ousmane D, Assitant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear guest

I truly appreciate all your kind comments, especially your appreciation of our service in. Exceeding your expectations has always been our determination. Semiahmoo resort has a great team of employees that truly enjoy what they do. It is always gratifying to read words such as yours that highlights them.

With gratitude and forwarded invitation to return!

Semiahmoo Resort Gold and spa

Reviewed 25 October 2013

My wife and I had a very nice return to Semiahmoo Resort. From the first encounter with the staff their hospitality was exemplary. They were very responsive to our needs and requests. We enjoyed some tennis on their refinished indoor tennis court plus some exercise in their fitness center. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves for dinner at Packer's with live music followed up by a game of Scrabble (we had forgotten our board but it was included in Semiahmoo's stash of board games). We were both very pleased with the newly purchased king size bed in our quiet room. In fact the bed was so comfortable that we slept much longer than we have in recent memory. Breakfast was another delight, especially the amazing hot chocolate followed by a short walk on their pier. Yes, we recommend Semiahmoo Resort.

Room Tip: We enjoyed staying on the top floor overlooking the water.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank billakadad
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and five star rating. It is much treasured.

I am very happy that you enjoyed everything from our tennis court to the service provided by our staff. Certainly our culinary program has been an innovation for several guests like you. Comfort is key, reason why we made it a standard under Coastal hotel group to have the best bed possible.
I am hopeful that you will make Semiahmoo your destination again!

Be Semiahmoo!

Semiahmoo Resort Golf and Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Blaine
Ocean Promenade Hotel
Worldmark Birch Bay
#2 of 3 in Blaine
South Surrey
Pacific Inn Resort and Conference Centre

Been to Semiahmoo Resort? Share your experiences!