“What an experience! It deserves my two hours driving…!”
Review of Semiahmoo Resort

Semiahmoo Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Blaine
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I had outstanding relaxation experience. My room was very clean and neat all the time. Customer service of front desk, restaurant, Spa and room service were outstanding!
For Spa, thank you “Denae” for your lovely service, the body wrap was out of description, not to forget your sweet smile and professional service.
Food & Wine! OOH LAA! What can I say! “PierSide Kitchen” is a different scenario! I felt I was watching a ballet show! They work in harmony, respect, and each one enjoys what he’s/she’s doing! I was there in a peak time, and I watched, thinking they will miss up something, but .. None! Everything was perfect.

The servants, managers and chefs were “outstanding”. Even security! Who would think security are friendly and smiling!
Heart full smiles are what each individual welcome you with…
Great job “Semiahmoo” , keep up the good work… !!

Alia.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Merida H
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Alia,

Your posting is on the list for the most refreshing one! We felt that we were reading the example of an epic culinary and service related stanza. Let me borrow your “OOH LAA” that reminds me Cisco Morris, the enthusiast, and passionate master gardener from Seattle. The newly open Pierside Kitchen is certainly an experience by itself. We will make sure to share all your accolades and description with the entire team as they are a token of encouragement, loyalty and support.
The outstanding service of Denae at the Spa has been echoed and we are pleased to have her on our team!
Thank you for your cheers and we look forward to welcome back soon!

Best Regards,

Semiahmoo resort Golf and Spa

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We've been going to Birch Bay for years but never took the time to go to this resort! What a mistake! It is wonderful! The room we stayed in was huge and very clean! We were very impressed. The folks at the front desk were friendly and prompt! We brought our dog and yes you have to pay $25.00 a night for your pet, but they supplied our pup a pet bed that was clean, didn't stink from other pets, they also supplied some poop bags and a water dish.Oh and yes they also provided a huge dog biscuit for her. So our pup was just as spoiled as we were! The hotel has wonderful amenities! This place is wonderful for families, couples! The grounds are well manicured with an accent of natural vegetation on the sea side. There are many activities for kids and adults. You can see eagles soaring, blue heroins and seals. This place is great for a romantic retreat, get away with the family and having fun on the beach. They also have an amazing pool, spa, tennis courts. So if you get bored it is entirely your fault! So go visit and enjoy! Cheers!

Room Tip: We didn't have an ocean view room but we were barely in our room so it didn't matter!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Guest
“Total Relaxation”. You could not title your posting any better.
Thank you for your posting and 5 of 5 rating on tripAdvisor. You certainly depicted all the great aspect of a great time at the resort. Even the puppy felt welcomed and spoiled. We are very fortunate to be your chosen destination and as you said, we are family and couple destination for retreat.
We look forward to you welcoming you back in the near future for a relaxing getaway.

Semiahmoo Resort Golf and spa

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Planned on a nice Friday evening visiting and dining.
The visit was great, weather turned out beautiful.
Dining was horrible. Got seated on the patio outside Pierside restaurant, but ordered off Packers menu. Ordered Fish & Chips and Crab Sliders.
Ordered a beer and a mocha coffee.
One waitress after another came out to ask us what we wanted.. we had to keep telling them we had already ordered. (all in we had 5 different)
Beer took about ten minutes to come, mocha took about twenty.
Food came in a about 48 minutes, COLD!
Fish was cold, fries were cold, I bit into my slider and the bun was rock hard.
Managed to find a waiter (i think) he was wearing something noone else was.
He had the audacity to tell me that because I'm sitting on the patio, food gets cold quicker.
WAIT! It just came out and everything was COLD!
So, now its been about about an hour and 27 minutes, supervisor came to talk to us. Said that they were sorry, I said that I'm not really interested in eating anymore as I didn't know how long we'd be waiting this time.
She said that they would remake our order, I was not really interested, but went with it.
Food came out fairly quick this time and was hot and warm.
Then another waitress came out with the bill.
Now it had been well over two hours.

Every waiter/waitress/server/restaurant I know would have comped everything in hope of having a return guest after such horrible service. I shouldn't have even seen a bill, or if I did, should have said 00.00$ with a note.
I even told the supervisor that I wanted to come back when she initially spoke with us.
Not now.
I paid the bill and left a tip! I shouldn't have.
Will tell everyone I know to avoid. Very unfortunate. Too many excuses thrown at us the whole time. You are in the business of customer service and people come there to dine, not wait 48 minutes to get ice cold food, then endure an over two hour ordeal with excuses being thrown at them.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mike L
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear Mike L

Although we pride ourselves on creating memorable experiences for all our guests, every so often (very much the exception and not the rule), we admittedly fall short of exceeding the expectations of our valuable guests.

Please allow me to apologize for the lack of notable service received during your dining escape at Semiahmoo. Your comments are quite valid and well placed, and for this I am grateful that you took valuable time out of your day to provide such great detail in regards to your experience at the restaurant.

Let me reiterate as I often mention on TripAdvisor responses that It is always a pleasure to receive wonderful accolades (such as your comments regarding your “visit being great” ), it is those comments that are more constructive in nature that help us to improve.

I too am disappointed that we failed to exceed your expectation. Would you be so kind, at your convenience, to contact me directly to discuss your experience further in hopes of taking internal corrective action and moreover, to regain your trust and loyalty to Semiahmoo resort . I can be reached at 360-318-2036 or via e-mail at odiop@semiahmoo.com.

With best regards, I remain at your service.

Semiahmoo Resort Golf and Spa

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Prior to the re-opening in August, 2013 a friend and I stayed here and particularly enjoyed our dinner at Packers. Then, the May 17th good weather caused wanderlust for a day trip and we chose Semiahmoo's two-and-a-half hour drive north from Seattle.

Little did I realize that we arrived on the opening day of their new restaurant the Pierside Kitchen and the re-do of Packers Bar. We decided on the simpler fare of Packers and were not disappointed. Sitting at a little round bar-height table in the newly appointed casual atmosphere hearing unobtrusive music, we enjoyed an unobstructed water view looking over to White Rock, B.C. My Neah Bay wild fresh salmon BLT with fries was delicious. His Beer Battered Cod Fish & Chips with coleslaw tasted equally good. For dessert we enjoyed the Ice Cream Trio.

Besides the spectacular "end of the spit" view location, a gracious server, good food, the lovely common areas and friendly helpful staff made a day's outing worthwhile without staying overnight. Next we'd like to attend one of their Friday night beach, bonfire barbeques beginning on Memorial Day Weekend until Labor Day.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being a loyal guest of Semiahmoo resort and we are pleased you decided to explore and join the vision and culture the new ownership and management team have for Semiahmoo. Posting on TripAdvisor and giving us a great rating is more than appreciated as well.
The “make over” is a 9 million dollars renovation and covers many areas. Of course the physical nature of the resort after being closed for a year was number one on the list. We just reopened a fully renovated the famous Packers Oyster bar, build and opened a new restaurant Pierside kitchen, rebuild a grand porte-cochere to give you a sense of arrival with if I am not mistaken the only revolving door in Whatcom county. The spa and health club went through a significant uplift with new carpet and stay of the art Precor exercise machine and a new set of furniture to lounge around our yearly heated pool. The second tier of the renovation has been refreshing the guest rooms. They are in transition as we speak and we plan on having them all complete by end of fall. All this has been done and continue being completed without impeding on the guest experience which is principal for us.
The natural environment and beauty of the setting are conductive to enjoy the serenity.
To continue sharing with you, we developed also a culinary program that revolves around supporting the local farms and businesses, offering fresh, local and healthy products with a good flair of French cooking. Wait…. I cannot tell you all here, you are certainly going to return and experience more as we are developing our Spring and Summer programs to welcome not only couples but families as well.
Your next gateway will be another “surprise”

We remain loyal to deliver the utmost service,

Semiahmoo resort Golf and Spa

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Great location, great views and poor handling of oysters. We just ate at Pierside. It's only been open for about 10 days. And you can tell. They still have a lot of ''bugs" to work out. We were here on a week day night and although they had several events going on, service in the "pierside" was slow. The oysters we ordered were dry and on the top shell except for one. Manager offered to order us more. But the way those were prepared we didn't want the same as we had before.
The fish and the pizza we had were very well prepared. But be prepared to wait. I would try this place again in about a month. Giving them time to work out their "bugs". Don't think I will ever order oysters here again.

Room Tip: We didn't stay here so we don't know about the rooms. Sorry.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Guest

As a resident of Blaine, you are certainly local support to newly introduced to public restaurant that opened Friday may 16th (3 days prior to your visit). We appreciate your comments and posting on TripAdvisor. Your experience seems to be isolated and for that reason we express regret for not creating a lasting memory of the restaurant.

How about giving me a call or email when returning to Pierside kitchen? I pledge that your next culinary journey will be one that will satisfy your palate.

I look forward to your visit sooner than a month from now. Please contact me directly at 360-318-2036 or via e-mail at odiop@semiahmoo.com.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Clean, comfortable room. Loved the super plush towels in the bathroom. However the bedding didn't quite measure up to "luxury spa" quality, as the brown blanket on the bed looked like it had been laundered many times. The biggest problem we encountered was with our cell phones - so close to the Canadian border, our service was either nonexistent or picking up the Canadian network. The front desk staff was very friendly, and eager to please. Overall, a good experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent visit to Semiahmoo resort. We agree that the setting is amazing.
Thank you for mentioning the new towels we just put in circulation, they are really “plush”. We just upgraded this week our bedding set and we look forward to your next visit so you can enjoy many more amenities that Semiahmoo resort is offering.

At your service,

Semiahmoo Resort Golf and Spa

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed here on a Living Social deal. Room was ready when we arrived; however, there was no where on-site to dine without waiting until 8:00 or 8:30. Maybe an additional service they should provide is asking when reserving a room if the client is planning on dining on the premises. After driving up from the Arlington area, the last thing I wanted to do was get back in the car to go and eat somewhere else. Staff at the front desk was helpful, but a little too laid back when we were obviously not happy with the times available for dining. We ended up going to Birch Bay.
The rooms were comfortable enough, but the easy chair had very worn spots on the arms and the ottoman/coffee bench had a large hole in it that one of my earrings actually fell thru and I had to really work to retrieve it. They may be trying to do too much too quickly and need to find ways to keep the customers happy!

Room Tip: Ask to make your dining reservation when you reserve your room, and also ask for a room that isn'...
1  Thank Velvet21

Dear guest,

It is always wonderful to hear such positive accolades, but it is even more beneficial to hear of your constructive comments.

Thank you for the comments regarding the dining options. As I have mentioned in few of my responses to other postings, the first phase of rejuvenation of the resort is complete. At present you have the infamous Packers Oyster bar that is open and a new restaurant Pierside kitchen.

As you noticed the aging in the room as much as we have a record rating for cleanliness, is being addressed. We have started refreshing our guest rooms last week, carpet change, wall paper change, furniture change, etc, without once more impeding into the guest experience.

Thank you once again for your posting and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Blaine
Worldmark Birch Bay
Hotel Bellwether
#9 of 26 in Bellingham
South Surrey
Best Western Peace Arch Inn

Been to Semiahmoo Resort? Share your experiences!