“The peaceful views”
Review of Semiahmoo Resort

Semiahmoo Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Blaine
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My Husband and my self have stayed here 4 times over the past 5 years and every time it has been outstanding!
The staff is polite and accommodating but not intrusive. the onsite pub has great food ant reasonable "resort cost". The Spa! the wonderful pools and massage and pedicures! 5star all the way!
lots of beautiful places to walk if the weather is clear the views of the Pugent sound are like no other. This property is on a jetty of land so there is water all around for a ocean girl like me, Pure heaven!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Guest!

It is a delight to read your description of Semiahmoo being “heavenly”. 5 star all the way could have been another title so thank you for sharing the experience via TripAdvisor.
Once more doing the eloge of the staff is something we look forward to read when receiving feedback.
We look forward to continue reaching our potential and make your escape to your resort ‘”a pure heaven”.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed 3 nights over Memorial Day weekend. I golfed all day so while I took a look at the resort facilities I made no use of them. I ate and drank at the Packers Bar the three nights I was there. The staff behind the bar was terrific. The place was very busy yet they never failed to catch people's eye, engage in conversation when appropriate or ignore the wait staff coming for drinks. I had custom drinks, salad dressings and dips for the fries based on my whim. The staff actually seemed to enjoy the working environment. Or they are great at faking it, but it made my nights fun. Try the desserts as well. The Rhubarb Tart was especially good. There was good music 2 nights. The room was large and comfortable. I had a balcony room with parking lot view. I did not care about that as I was not there for the room.

I may return with my wife next time. She would like the resort services and there are numerous public spaces inside and out to just sit and zen.

I want to criticize what seems to be a growing industry practice. I was quoted a $128 room rate. On top of that I expected the usual taxes. I just left my last morning without paying attention to the bill but saw on the emailed bill that I was charged a $15 "Resort Fee" for each of the three nights. I just did a dummy online reservation to see where this may have shown up in the booking process. It shows up just before the final payment under a link called "View Price Breakdown". But it does not say "Resort Fee". It just says "Fees" before "Room Tax". So the "Fee" is kind of deceptively ambiguous, suggesting not the fault of the resort. So shame on me for not having been more careful during the booking process but shame on the resort for this hard to find, deceptive practice. It won't stop me from returning but it leaves a bad taste. I would have more respect if they put the fee up front with an explanation of how they justify it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank jmstravel
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing about your recent stay at Semiahmoo Resort.
We love to hear about positive experiences, and loved reading about your experience in Packers Bar. I am happy to hear that you received the warm and engaging service we pride ourselves in delivering to our guests. Thank you for sharing such high praises for our culinary staff. Our staff is committed to making each guest feel as welcome and cared for as you felt during your stay.
I am sorry you were felt deceived by our resort fee. Allow me to explain our reasoning for the fee, and some of the amenities it allows us to offer. Our Resort Fee enables us to offer amenities such as daily newspapers, weekend movies and bonfires, sports and recreation equipment, and our pool and health club facilities. By offering our resort amenities at an all-inclusive fee, we can offer a better value to our guests, rather than charging a separate fee for each activity and/or amenity. We are sorry to read that the fee left a "bad taste" for you, and will consider your experience and feedback as we move forward and continue to strive for complete guest satisfaction.
Thank you for taking the time to review your Semiahmoo experience. We do hope you return with your wife to share some of the experiences that make Semiahmoo such a special place.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

With ownership changing hands a couple times over the years at Semiahmoo I really didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. The property is in great shape having experienced a mini makeover. Rooms were priced right, the restaurants were serving fresh food with good staff and the grounds were in great shape making for an enjoyable Seattle getaway weekend. Bravo on all fronts!

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent visit to Semiahmoo Resort! we are happy to hear that you were pleasantly surprised during your stay. As you mentioned, the property has been undergoing an extensive renovation without disturbing the guest experience. A new restaurant and a beautifully revived bar, our grounds refreshed, and our entrance enhanced with a newly constructed porte cochere. Last month, we began a renewal of our guest rooms, which are receiving new carpet, wallpaper, furniture, restroom fixtures, to name a few. These enhancements are all part of our commitment to restore Semiahmoo Resort to the four diamond destination resort so many guests treasure.
We hope that our property and staff continue to surprise and delight you during our renewal.
See you soon,

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I had outstanding relaxation experience. My room was very clean and neat all the time. Customer service of front desk, restaurant, Spa and room service were outstanding!
For Spa, thank you “Denae” for your lovely service, the body wrap was out of description, not to forget your sweet smile and professional service.
Food & Wine! OOH LAA! What can I say! “PierSide Kitchen” is a different scenario! I felt I was watching a ballet show! They work in harmony, respect, and each one enjoys what he’s/she’s doing! I was there in a peak time, and I watched, thinking they will miss up something, but .. None! Everything was perfect.

The servants, managers and chefs were “outstanding”. Even security! Who would think security are friendly and smiling!
Heart full smiles are what each individual welcome you with…
Great job “Semiahmoo” , keep up the good work… !!

Alia.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Merida H

Dear Alia,

Your posting is on the list for the most refreshing one! We felt that we were reading the example of an epic culinary and service related stanza. Let me borrow your “OOH LAA” that reminds me Cisco Morris, the enthusiast, and passionate master gardener from Seattle. The newly open Pierside Kitchen is certainly an experience by itself. We will make sure to share all your accolades and description with the entire team as they are a token of encouragement, loyalty and support.
The outstanding service of Denae at the Spa has been echoed and we are pleased to have her on our team!
Thank you for your cheers and we look forward to welcome back soon!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We've been going to Birch Bay for years but never took the time to go to this resort! What a mistake! It is wonderful! The room we stayed in was huge and very clean! We were very impressed. The folks at the front desk were friendly and prompt! We brought our dog and yes you have to pay $25.00 a night for your pet, but they supplied our pup a pet bed that was clean, didn't stink from other pets, they also supplied some poop bags and a water dish.Oh and yes they also provided a huge dog biscuit for her. So our pup was just as spoiled as we were! The hotel has wonderful amenities! This place is wonderful for families, couples! The grounds are well manicured with an accent of natural vegetation on the sea side. There are many activities for kids and adults. You can see eagles soaring, blue heroins and seals. This place is great for a romantic retreat, get away with the family and having fun on the beach. They also have an amazing pool, spa, tennis courts. So if you get bored it is entirely your fault! So go visit and enjoy! Cheers!

Room Tip: We didn't have an ocean view room but we were barely in our room so it didn't matter!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Guest
“Total Relaxation”. You could not title your posting any better.
Thank you for your posting and 5 of 5 rating on tripAdvisor. You certainly depicted all the great aspect of a great time at the resort. Even the puppy felt welcomed and spoiled. We are very fortunate to be your chosen destination and as you said, we are family and couple destination for retreat.
We look forward to you welcoming you back in the near future for a relaxing getaway.

Semiahmoo Resort Golf and spa

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Planned on a nice Friday evening visiting and dining.
The visit was great, weather turned out beautiful.
Dining was horrible. Got seated on the patio outside Pierside restaurant, but ordered off Packers menu. Ordered Fish & Chips and Crab Sliders.
Ordered a beer and a mocha coffee.
One waitress after another came out to ask us what we wanted.. we had to keep telling them we had already ordered. (all in we had 5 different)
Beer took about ten minutes to come, mocha took about twenty.
Food came in a about 48 minutes, COLD!
Fish was cold, fries were cold, I bit into my slider and the bun was rock hard.
Managed to find a waiter (i think) he was wearing something noone else was.
He had the audacity to tell me that because I'm sitting on the patio, food gets cold quicker.
WAIT! It just came out and everything was COLD!
So, now its been about about an hour and 27 minutes, supervisor came to talk to us. Said that they were sorry, I said that I'm not really interested in eating anymore as I didn't know how long we'd be waiting this time.
She said that they would remake our order, I was not really interested, but went with it.
Food came out fairly quick this time and was hot and warm.
Then another waitress came out with the bill.
Now it had been well over two hours.

Every waiter/waitress/server/restaurant I know would have comped everything in hope of having a return guest after such horrible service. I shouldn't have even seen a bill, or if I did, should have said 00.00$ with a note.
I even told the supervisor that I wanted to come back when she initially spoke with us.
Not now.
I paid the bill and left a tip! I shouldn't have.
Will tell everyone I know to avoid. Very unfortunate. Too many excuses thrown at us the whole time. You are in the business of customer service and people come there to dine, not wait 48 minutes to get ice cold food, then endure an over two hour ordeal with excuses being thrown at them.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mike L
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear Mike L

Although we pride ourselves on creating memorable experiences for all our guests, every so often (very much the exception and not the rule), we admittedly fall short of exceeding the expectations of our valuable guests.

Please allow me to apologize for the lack of notable service received during your dining escape at Semiahmoo. Your comments are quite valid and well placed, and for this I am grateful that you took valuable time out of your day to provide such great detail in regards to your experience at the restaurant.

Let me reiterate as I often mention on TripAdvisor responses that It is always a pleasure to receive wonderful accolades (such as your comments regarding your “visit being great” ), it is those comments that are more constructive in nature that help us to improve.

I too am disappointed that we failed to exceed your expectation. Would you be so kind, at your convenience, to contact me directly to discuss your experience further in hopes of taking internal corrective action and moreover, to regain your trust and loyalty to Semiahmoo resort . I can be reached at 360-318-2036 or via e-mail at odiop@semiahmoo.com.

With best regards, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Prior to the re-opening in August, 2013 a friend and I stayed here and particularly enjoyed our dinner at Packers. Then, the May 17th good weather caused wanderlust for a day trip and we chose Semiahmoo's two-and-a-half hour drive north from Seattle.

Little did I realize that we arrived on the opening day of their new restaurant the Pierside Kitchen and the re-do of Packers Bar. We decided on the simpler fare of Packers and were not disappointed. Sitting at a little round bar-height table in the newly appointed casual atmosphere hearing unobtrusive music, we enjoyed an unobstructed water view looking over to White Rock, B.C. My Neah Bay wild fresh salmon BLT with fries was delicious. His Beer Battered Cod Fish & Chips with coleslaw tasted equally good. For dessert we enjoyed the Ice Cream Trio.

Besides the spectacular "end of the spit" view location, a gracious server, good food, the lovely common areas and friendly helpful staff made a day's outing worthwhile without staying overnight. Next we'd like to attend one of their Friday night beach, bonfire barbeques beginning on Memorial Day Weekend until Labor Day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being a loyal guest of Semiahmoo resort and we are pleased you decided to explore and join the vision and culture the new ownership and management team have for Semiahmoo. Posting on TripAdvisor and giving us a great rating is more than appreciated as well.
The “make over” is a 9 million dollars renovation and covers many areas. Of course the physical nature of the resort after being closed for a year was number one on the list. We just reopened a fully renovated the famous Packers Oyster bar, build and opened a new restaurant Pierside kitchen, rebuild a grand porte-cochere to give you a sense of arrival with if I am not mistaken the only revolving door in Whatcom county. The spa and health club went through a significant uplift with new carpet and stay of the art Precor exercise machine and a new set of furniture to lounge around our yearly heated pool. The second tier of the renovation has been refreshing the guest rooms. They are in transition as we speak and we plan on having them all complete by end of fall. All this has been done and continue being completed without impeding on the guest experience which is principal for us.
The natural environment and beauty of the setting are conductive to enjoy the serenity.
To continue sharing with you, we developed also a culinary program that revolves around supporting the local farms and businesses, offering fresh, local and healthy products with a good flair of French cooking. Wait…. I cannot tell you all here, you are certainly going to return and experience more as we are developing our Spring and Summer programs to welcome not only couples but families as well.
Your next gateway will be another “surprise”

We remain loyal to deliver the utmost service,

Semiahmoo resort Golf and Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Blaine
Hotel Bellwether
Worldmark Birch Bay
#2 of 3 in Blaine
South Surrey
Pacific Inn Resort and Conference Centre

Been to Semiahmoo Resort? Share your experiences!