“Clean, convenient, and friendly staff”

Worldmark Birch Bay
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Blaine
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I had been very apprehensive of our stay based on the reviews. Yet, our experience could not have been more different! The staff was very cheerful and friendly. I was greeted several times by various employees. My husband and I stayed in a studio in an undesirable location. The unit was larger than at another property (Camlin) and it was facing the units of another building. Big deal. Overall it was quiet and comfortable. And most importantly, it was spotless.
And we did get a call from the staff shortly after check in to see if everything was alright which I always think is a nice touch.

There was a ceiling fan to cool the room and no oven. There was a gas grill which worked out perfectly otherwise we would have had to eat out....I don't know why some have remarked it is outdated. The decor is contemporary, there was an ipod docking station, and a DVD player. The TV was not a flatscreen, but not a deal breaker. All of the items that are typically stocked in the units were there.

We even went for the owner's education update. It was a painless meeting with no pressure, just the sharing of information by cheerful staff. Also, our rep mentioned they will be doing some refurbishing in November. We left impressed and not disappointed.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lololas
There are newer reviews for Worldmark Birch Bay

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We arrived after driving through four states to enjoy the first stop of a much needed vacation. As we walked to our condo I noticed that the hallway carpets were spotted and dirty and the common areas were not well maintained. Once we got in the condo it got worse. The pictures shown of this location in the World Mark catalog must have been taken somewhere else! The furniture in our room was old, dated and completely filthy. There were brown spots of who knows what on the couch and the arm rests of the chairs were dark with grime. The floor in the kitchen was dirty along the edges and the entire place was old and in need of updating. The stereo (boom box) and TV's were all from the 80's and the kitchen was not as well stocked as other World Mark locations I have stayed in.

I went to the balcony to check the view. There was none. Our view was of the parking lot and garbage dumpsters. I might also mention that this location has no air conditioning so in the summer you have to keep the windows open. Our room was located over the swimming pool so the sound of kids screaming and splashing was heard throughout the day. In the early morning hours it was not the pool we could hear, it was the garbage trucks emptying dumpsters in the early morning.

I can't imagine what they were thinking when they designed this building. I have been to several other World Mark properties and have always been pleased. This was a tremendous disappointment. We packed up as soon as we possibly could and left town! Fortunately the staff at check-in was understanding and helpful.

Room Tip: Go to Seattle.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Elia G
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Dirty dishes,dirty everywhere,food left from other peoples stay in furnature and behind the garbage can, fruit flies in the bathrooms,electrical issues,hole in bath tub, bedroom fan was broken,along with my family apparently picked the week all the outside maintance was sceduled being woke up early to pressure washers and loud noises, made this vacation NOT so relaxing! also i should thrown in when i requested a roll of toilet paper the house keeper rolled her eyes at me and made it seem like she really had to go out of her way. excuse me family of 4 for 10 days on 2 rolls of one ply! and holy crap were the beds extra firm.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Chris W
Reviewed 23 June 2012

My partner and I have stayed at many WorldMark properties across the country, being long time WorldMark Trendwest members. We are very easy going, no need for luxuries, and very forgiving and understanding. But we were so disappointed when we arrived at the WorldMark Birch Bay Resort near Blaine, Washington and the British Columbia-Canadian border.
The hotel building is designed very poorly and user-unfriendly. The reception lobby is hidden in the center of the building making it hard to find. The idiot architect designed the entire building to minimize any kind of water view, and made sure every unit will look out at the parking lots or other units, also minimizing any privacy or patio lanai enjoyment. Nobody was on their decks except to BBQ and go back inside, even on a nice sunny day. BEWARE, some units have NO view at all, facing building walls completely. Very undesirable units.
Both elevators were slow and outdated. Carpeting in units and hallways were old and run down. Old style TV, absolutely no resort-style feel at all. More like a Motel 6, bare-bones. We stayed only one night and were so glad we didn't book an entire week. Dirty seagulls swam in the pools, leaving feathers, poop, and grime floating on the pool surface. Gross. Birch Bay itself, is unswimmable, very shallow, and lots of warning signs to beware of pollution and toxins. Fun. We were lucky to have a sliver of sunset view from our deck, between the other buildings, overlooking the parking lot, vacant lot, and beyond the heads of the two men beating up an old lady. Beware of car break-ins, park vehicles out in the open, not under the hotel building. We heard car alarms at night, I ran out to check my car twice in the middle of the night when I heard the alarms.
Very few restaurant choices nearby, including the (hiss!) very UNFRIENDLY Birch Bay Teriyaki next door to the one overpriced Bay Center market, so bring your provisions.

Room Tip: Hope and pray for no viewless wall view units, so depressing. Expect to see the parking lot from ev...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank kimo767
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My wife and I have been with Wyndham since the end of the last century. We always expect the best - but this time we were let down. First - the good stuff: The location is great. The staff was courteous and friendly. The problems: This resort is old and shows it. The carpet was way past its prime. The dining room table was big and round and took up so much space that we had to remove the barstools in order to sit down for a meal. The televisions were old CRT models from the nineties. Our room (426) overlooked the parking lot and we could see just a bit of the water over the building between us and the beach. Neither of our remotes for the televisions worked until a maintenance man came up just before 11 PM to reprogram them. They needed a code. Another maintenance man had to come up and fix the garbage disposal unit that was stuck. The Wi-Fi at this resort was just pathetic. A number of my favorite sites would "time out" on my iPad. What made this even worse was that you have to pay for WiFi. What a rip. On the last night we were there with our kids who had come down from Canada (our son and his fiancé from Seattle had already left) and my wife had a roast in the oven - when we heard a very loud CRACKING noise. Diane went to the oven and - yes - the pyrex baking dish had cracked. So - we turned off the oven and left the oven door open to let everything cool down and about ten minutes later the baking dish EXPLODED! I called the front desk and explained how this had ruined our dinner and the last night with our family and did they have any suggestions. The answer was... "you can go to Jack in the Box." When we checked out I was told by a very friendly staff member that I could air my displeasure at one of those member meetings - you know - the ones where you're pressured into buying more points or signing up for a new program. I can just imagine the reaction my remarks would have in that setting. Of course - we won't be going back there - so sharing my experience at Birch Bay while I'm staying somewhere else would be pointless.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Bruce S
Reviewed 13 April 2012

The resort needs some upgrades, and the pool is outdoors and was very cold with all the wind, I wish they had an indoor pool since 10 months out of the year its very cold there. The front desk staff we not friendly and one was a little rude. All the other worldmark resorts have been nicer and better experience then this one.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank branlaine
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We are staying here as I write this review. First off, I must mention that we are Platinum Wyndham memebers and we are use to very fine facilities everywere we go. This is not one of those. It is a good facility but really needs some bright paint, some updated furniture and replace the old worn and dirty appearing carpet. We were in a 2-bedroom unit #319 that had a good view of the parking lot. The staff was friendly and helpful and I have no complaint what-so-ever about their competence. The living room seems dark and in need of more lighting. The gas fireplace works only part of the time, the range top in this unit is not securely fastened to the range itself, The place has a dingy feel to it although it has everything one needs. The kitchen is well stocked.

Room Tip: This place is okay, just nothing special and does not meet up with Wyndham's usual great standar...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank 81DaleB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blaine
Sandcastle at Birch Bay
Hotel Bellwether
#9 of 27 in Bellingham
Semiahmoo Resort
#1 of 3 in Blaine

Been to Worldmark Birch Bay? Share your experiences!