“Hopeful R&R”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Blaine
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed at the location for 4 nights and 5 days. Let me start with the good:
If you are planning of visiting Canada, this location is about 15 minutes from the border. We took a couple of trips to Vancouver. On site, the staff we engaged with were very friendly. In the room, it appeared like it had been repainted and I was happy to see that everything was cleaner than expected. We had a partial view of the water due to our room being on the side of the building. I recommend taking a stroll along Birch Bay Dr during sunset is beautiful. Also, maintenance was polite and accomidating when we could not get the shower working in the master, apparently it requires a good tug.

In the area of the Worldmark location, I felt like there was not much to do. *There are a few local restaurants (most we did not want to venture into) and a lot of places to purchase liquor. No nice gift shops. *For families with children, there was a waterslide place and gocarts about 5 or so minutes for each other. *About 13min from WM there is a cute small town off of Peace Portal Drive. *Going back towards I-5, 7-10 min down Birch bay Lynden Rd there is the Market Grocery store, it has a fantastic variety of goods. We drove everywhere, Seattle (2hrs) to Tulalip Casino and Outlets (1hr+), and to Vancouver (56min).

The BAD: I have to agree with others about the look of the building, not all the pictures posted are of this location. The views are limited, we had some, but mostly of the grass sitting area, garbage and parking lot. The garbage trucks come early and twice in a week. The elevators are slow. In the room, you can hear people, banging on walls, walking above you, and sometimes talking. Sound carries in this area, so be prepared not to sleep. Whether from WM grounds or the surrounding hotels, EVERY NIGHT I heard some version of drunken people singing, arguing and carrying on way past 12am. I don't think there was any security for WM grounds. I don't recall seeing them and they did not enforce the curfew. On the 3rd night I slept in the daybed, the next morning I found 1 small bite on my leg and thought nothing of it. I slept in the bed again the next night before we left and I found two more bites. We asked if pets were allowed in the rooms, and if a pet had been in the room before us? We were told only specific pets are allowed, but we got an uncertain answer if a pet had been in our room. We noticed that people without a service/helper dog were bringing in pets. We did not use the wi-fi service, I think the cost was $4-5 a day.

This was the most undesirable WM site I have stayed at, it was average, nothing to make me want to stay again when visiting Washington.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank smw247

Reviewed 5 July 2013

We arrived at the location with 2 small kids eager to check in only to be told our name was not on the reservation. I was told I had to contact the owner of the condo and ask them to call reservations to find out what the problem was. It seemed to me that this should have been something the lady at the front desk should have done, she was not very accomadating. It was finally discovered that indeed there had been a mistake by their reservation department!! Then when my husband got there he went to the same front desk to ask what room we were in and the front desk told him there was no one registered there under my name. It was really ridiculous. If this is how Worldmark handles their business we would not want to purchase in their time shares.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank fiveakids
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We had a great stay in our 2BR condo. Before we even got to our condo, the staff was very accommodating, making sure we had everything we needed. Very comfy, with lots of room and everything we needed for cooking, swimming, and just hanging out. The view from our 2nd story condo was simply spectacular. We loved the pool too.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the water will afford you a terrific view of the sunset.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DonnaHarrington
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We had a beautiful two bedroom unit which was very spacious and comfortable. I am not sure why this location is so popular, because it seems like the surrounding area has seen better days in terms of amenities. The resort has limited views, however it is easy to walk across the street and experience some spectacular views of the bay.

The location was good for us as we used the resort to commute to Vancouver each day which took about thirty minutes.

There is a great coffee shop right off the exit heading into Birch Bay. There was a good Bible Study going on that I was able to jump in to on a Sunday night. I had good fellowship with a group of local believers.

I must sing praises regarding the staff at the resort as they went out of their way to be helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank perpetualtravel
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

One of the nicest places to stay in Birchbay, great service, excellent rooms wonderful staff!
With a cool Indoor/outdoor hourglass shape pool and fitness center and two. Jacuzzi's to enjoy! Just across from via at Birchbay

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank hostelbirchbay
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We decided to go spent two nights up at BirchBay. When we arrived the staff was very nice and got us right into our room. Our room was on the 4th floor facing the parking lot but had a small view of the water. Our first night we walked down to one of the few resturants by the resort and the food was ok but the service was bad! When we decided to go back to our room and rent a 3 dollar movie to watch we had the people in the unit below us banging on the celing at us. The second day we went to find some stuff to do and roamed around everywhere, not much open in the off season. So back to finish our last night we decided to rent a few movies and after the first movie the phone to our room was ringing "around 8pm" it was the front desk saying the people below us were complaining. So we walked quiet on egg shells for the next few hours and the phone started ringing again. The front desk saying the people below us are complaining again. I got fed up and went down stairs and told the front desk we were checking out. I was not going to pay for a room to relax and have some annoying people keep complaining about us walking in the room we paid for. So basically the front desk said "do you want me to check for a room on a lower floor for you?" When I said no they told be to be safe driving. So basically to sum it all up. The room was decent the fireplace didnt work but was a nice room. The front desk staff was nice but called non stop and said they even stood outside our door to listen for us being loud the first night and didnt hear anything. So I am guessing it is a very cheaply build building and the people under you can hear everything. Most unenjoyable vacation I have ever had!!!!!

Room Tip: Penthouse is the only room with full water view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Matt W
Reviewed 12 November 2012

My wife and I were apprehensive about our stay based on some of the reviews, and were very pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable our week spent there turn out. Our unit (316) had expansive views of the bay, was comfortable and bright, clean and well-appointed, and everything worked well. There were a few maintenace issues that did not detract from our enjoyment and which we only reported to the staff upon our departure as being minor. The staff was simply wonderful. We found a good grocery store (The Market) a couple of miles away, and the Teriyaki Cafe at the end of the street was great. I can't believe we didn't have more seafood restaurant options unless you went to Bellingham !! We ate twice in Blaine, and the Thai food is pretty good (I lived in Bangkok). Enjoy !!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dugger2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blaine
Sandcastle at Birch Bay
Hotel Bellwether
#9 of 27 in Bellingham
Semiahmoo Resort
#1 of 3 in Blaine

Been to Worldmark Birch Bay? Share your experiences!