“Nice resort but stay away from the aggressive timeshare marketing reps.”

Worldmark Birch Bay
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Blaine
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Nice resort - felt like I was down at the Oregon coast for a bit. The property only has very few units - penthouse category that really has water front. They charge $5.95 /day for internet unless you are a platinum WM owner.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Altezza
There are newer reviews for Worldmark Birch Bay

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We went in the fall, so it was off season and quieter. The condo was nicely decorated, well furnished and supplied, and very comfortable for 4 people. The location was right on the water. There are nice spots on the grounds that would be welcome retreats in warm months...little picnic and shaded sitting areas outdoors. Nice pools and hot tubs, etc. Staff was very helpful and friendly, even the housekeeping and maintenance staffs. Many cute towns and sights nearby, and Canada right at the doorstep. Biggest downside I could see was very few rooms have any type of a view...only a few face the water all the other rooms face a parking lot or (like ours) overlooked a trailer park.

Room Tip: If you want a view, you'll have to do some big negotiating....if you want quiet, ask for a room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ann H
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Nice, clean and spacious rooms. We have stayed here about 5 times for weekend getaways with and without the kids. If you bring the kids, the pool is open all year, so lots of fun for them. Nice and close to the border, as well as being a great location if you want to shop in Bellingham or Burlington. For us Canadians, it's a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Choose a west facing room, you will get a bit of a view. Bring your own pillows, the pillows at thi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Silvana222
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Pretty good size rooms. Walls are extra thin so you hear everything. Definitely a party place, bars all around and people bar hoping. Weird people walking around, one yelled out at us while we where on balcony. Room was kinda dirty, housekeeping didn't clean very well. In fact last people who stayed there called and asked if they left so etching in the closet. It was still in the closet. Not a place I would want to stay at again, not just because of the room, but because nothing really to do here.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank John S
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Thank you all for sharing your experiences at the Birch Bay location. My husband and I are looking into taking our parents away for a few days, and really would like to find a local getaway. We currently reside in the greater Seattle area, and looking to explore a more local getaway. I don't think we'll visit the Birch Bay area, so I'll do more research in Washington, and see what I come up with... Again thank you for saving us a trip up north.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank snd1996
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed at the location for 4 nights and 5 days. Let me start with the good:
If you are planning of visiting Canada, this location is about 15 minutes from the border. We took a couple of trips to Vancouver. On site, the staff we engaged with were very friendly. In the room, it appeared like it had been repainted and I was happy to see that everything was cleaner than expected. We had a partial view of the water due to our room being on the side of the building. I recommend taking a stroll along Birch Bay Dr during sunset is beautiful. Also, maintenance was polite and accomidating when we could not get the shower working in the master, apparently it requires a good tug.

In the area of the Worldmark location, I felt like there was not much to do. *There are a few local restaurants (most we did not want to venture into) and a lot of places to purchase liquor. No nice gift shops. *For families with children, there was a waterslide place and gocarts about 5 or so minutes for each other. *About 13min from WM there is a cute small town off of Peace Portal Drive. *Going back towards I-5, 7-10 min down Birch bay Lynden Rd there is the Market Grocery store, it has a fantastic variety of goods. We drove everywhere, Seattle (2hrs) to Tulalip Casino and Outlets (1hr+), and to Vancouver (56min).

The BAD: I have to agree with others about the look of the building, not all the pictures posted are of this location. The views are limited, we had some, but mostly of the grass sitting area, garbage and parking lot. The garbage trucks come early and twice in a week. The elevators are slow. In the room, you can hear people, banging on walls, walking above you, and sometimes talking. Sound carries in this area, so be prepared not to sleep. Whether from WM grounds or the surrounding hotels, EVERY NIGHT I heard some version of drunken people singing, arguing and carrying on way past 12am. I don't think there was any security for WM grounds. I don't recall seeing them and they did not enforce the curfew. On the 3rd night I slept in the daybed, the next morning I found 1 small bite on my leg and thought nothing of it. I slept in the bed again the next night before we left and I found two more bites. We asked if pets were allowed in the rooms, and if a pet had been in the room before us? We were told only specific pets are allowed, but we got an uncertain answer if a pet had been in our room. We noticed that people without a service/helper dog were bringing in pets. We did not use the wi-fi service, I think the cost was $4-5 a day.

This was the most undesirable WM site I have stayed at, it was average, nothing to make me want to stay again when visiting Washington.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank smw247
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We arrived at the location with 2 small kids eager to check in only to be told our name was not on the reservation. I was told I had to contact the owner of the condo and ask them to call reservations to find out what the problem was. It seemed to me that this should have been something the lady at the front desk should have done, she was not very accomadating. It was finally discovered that indeed there had been a mistake by their reservation department!! Then when my husband got there he went to the same front desk to ask what room we were in and the front desk told him there was no one registered there under my name. It was really ridiculous. If this is how Worldmark handles their business we would not want to purchase in their time shares.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank fiveakids
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blaine
Sandcastle at Birch Bay
Hotel Bellwether
#9 of 27 in Bellingham
Semiahmoo Resort
#1 of 3 in Blaine

Been to Worldmark Birch Bay? Share your experiences!