“Very pleasant,small but packed with flavor.”

Camano Island Waterfront Bistro
Price range: US$15 - US$45
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Pacific Northwest cuisine fresh from our culinary farm to table... Our Chef Kris Gerlach has years of culinary experience and is dedicated in providing quality PNW cuisine to our customers. Locally sourced from farmers, ranchers and fishermen whenever possible...the same folks who take the same care in creating the ingredients we use, as we do in creating the dishes we prepare. We believe in respecting the ingredients by letting the natural flavors direct our dishes and menu.
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

The bistro provided breakfast at the B&B.It was most pleasant to choose from their menu instead of a plain continental breakfast. Lunch and dinner menus were flavorful and well designed. Very courteous and attentive staff.

1  Thank peggy s
Susan H, General Manager at Camano Island Waterfront Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Peggy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review...we appreciate any and all feedback!

We love that our guest get choices...for us it must be special and we are happy that you enjoyed the choices. Our staff was over the moon excited for your comments so, again thank you!

Have a very lovely Summer and we hope to see you again!

Susan

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We put my sister and her husband up here about 15 years ago, the rooms were charming and they accommodated a kosher breakfast for my brother-in-law. The charms of the rooms were accentuated by a nice view of Saratoga Passage with the potential for whales swimming by. We had not been there since.

A good friend where we live now on Camano Island spoke very highly of the restaurant, so my wife and I decided to give it a try on a Friday evening with a potential for a view of the sunset over Saratoga Passage. I called, but was diverted to an answering device that invited me to leave a message with a call back number and they would return the call - I did, with a message of time and number of diners. No return call came. We decided to go anyway hoping to not miss the sunset.

When we arrived, the hostess claimed that no messages had been received, but they could seat us anyway - there was no one seated in the dining area which has a very nice river rock fireplace and a 6-foot wide sliding glass door to a deck with access to a view of the Passage that you can see if you look carefully at the banner picture on their web homepage. We were seated in the corner by the fireplace as the "window" seating was reserved - it did not matter much as there was a very limited view outside anyway.

The menu looked very inviting, including one of our favorite appetizers, crab cakes ($14), which we ordered with a glass of Pinot Grigio ($8) for my wife and an IPA ($4/bottle) for me, both of which were quite tasty. The crab cakes came - three (we only expected two) in a very nice presentation. Service was relatively quick. They were so highly spiced that the delicate flavor of crab was entirely masked - my wife could not finish hers. Later, during my entree, the spice gave me hiccups and GERDS to the point I had to pause my dining (during which my food got cold) until it passed.

The hostess came by to acknowledge our message had been found - that was nice of her.

Then, we ordered soup and entrees. They have signature seafood chowder ($8) that turned out to be excellent. My wife started to order the Chicken Tikka Masala ($20), but the server cautioned that the dish was highly spiced in an East Indian manner consistent with the owners’ cuisine preferences. She chose the Salmon ($27) and I the Coquilles St. Jacques ($26), both of which were excellent, but came with spicy vegetables and a rice pilaf laced with tarragon. Dessert was a chocolate layer cake (ladies must have their chocolate) in a nice presentation, but was very ordinary in taste.

While we were dining, the room filled with guests, mostly couples, who all seemed to have a good time and enjoyed the noticeably quiet atmosphere. Absent the impressive fireplace, the dining room atmosphere is cool and sterile with nice, small paintings on the walls. The large wooden bar in the foyer seemed to attract no one while we were there. Our VISA was readily accepted for the $140 bill, including tip (20%) - a tad "spendy" as they say locally.

All in all, with due respect to our good friend, it is not a diner place that we are likely to return to as the cuisine did not "leave [my] palette dancing" as advertised only burned out and exhausted. They are alleged to have a nice brunch - we will save that to another day, perhaps in the warmth of summer when outdoor dining may be an option to give us access to the lovely views.and excitement of passing whales.

2  Thank CamanoCarl
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We wanted to take my elderly mother in law out for a special dinner. She had been very sick and we wanted to something special. My husband, myself, our daughter and my two granddaughters decided to give this place a try as it was close to my mother in laws home. The minute we walked in I felt like we were looked down on because we brought our granddaughters. These girls are 4 and 6 and the best behaved little ones I have ever the pleasure to be around. They are quiet and polite and there was no reason for the attitude we were given. We were seated immediately seated in a separate dining area from the rest of the guests and the evening went downhill from there. The food was very slow to arrive and most of it was literally not edible. The pasta was the only thing anyone could eat, and the rest of us went hungry. There was an elderly gentleman in a chefs suit, covered in sweat that kept walking through the dining area to go outside. It was a little unnerving to think this man was cooking our food as he looked sickly.
The final disappointment of the night was the pie. My mother in law was so excited to see that they had pecan pie on the menu, only to get a piece of pie that she literally couldn't cut the crust of. She asked me to do it, but I couldn't do it either. We had to break it apart with the tines of a fork. It was just shy of rock hard. Needless to say, it was also not edible. This awful meal cost us nearly $200, and most of us left hungry. We will not be back. So disappointed!

2  Thank Christine H
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Nice view. Very nice staff. Food is a bit over rated. I expect top quality for the price they charge. I would go back for a glass of wine and the view. Not a meal however.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We'd just left our kids' (middle-aged) newly acquired vacation property on Camano, and it was lunch time. I hit the "restaurants near me now" app on my iPhone and once I'd sorted out that Coupeville was on a different island physically "close" but a very long way away by road, the logical choice was this bistro.

Terrific choice. My wife orders fish and chips often and with high expectations; both her fish and fries lived up to them. I had to help her with the fries, of course, and they were perfect; skin on russets properly fried and with great flavor and texture. The fish was fresh and moist, with the lightly battered crust crisp as well. Since I knew I'd have to help with the fries, I ordered light from the vegetarian items (E. Indian), and the dosa and lentil soup was likewise excellent.

Good wine selection at decent prices, even if the server presented them backward to what we'd ordered, but since there was little doubt about which was which it wasn't a problem for us to switch. Otherwise the service was excellent and attentive on this quiet mid-week afternoon.

The bill listed my $8 dosas at $12, so after I'd paid with my credit card I found a menu and asked why the upcharge. The waitress didn't seem flustered, or even surprised, but did apologize, then handed me four one dollar bills out of an envelope she had in her apron, which meant I still paid tax and tipped on the larger amount. I'll read the bill carefully next time I'm here, and whether this was an honest mistake or someone skimming, it did not take away from our terrific lunch in this very pleasant spot. Some reviewer suggested the prices here were a bit high, but certainly at lunch time the prices are excellent. Some of the best fish and chips ever for $10? Tough to beat that.

In summer when they serve on the porch overlooking Saratoga Passage, this place must be just about perfect.