“The gold course is open!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort

Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carson
“The gold course is open!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

I have reviewed this spot many a time. I guess it's our favorite place for a quick trip. Proximity from PDX is less than 40 minutes. The property is always evolving and this time in a positive way. The ownership has changed and it was bought out by Boniville resorts. There is a rustic feel to the rooms and I'm sure the old St Martin building is on the list to go away. The golf course is beautiful and has the front 9 open and for $31 with a cart is a good price. Most recently the restaurant opened for breakfast and lunch and the fare and service were great. I still prefer the bungalo bar for food and atmosphere. Fried chicken is da best and it's so funny that the locals think your from huge city when just from liitle ole Portland. For the price Carson hotsprings and the Bungalo beat out Bonville and Skamina hands down if you take that short trip down the road.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Mraschio
Linda H, Guest Relations Manager at Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Thank you for the feedback. Just to set the record straight Bonneville Hot Springs is not the owner of Carson Hot Springs, the same management team runs both properties. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Pendleton, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We were on the second floor - 49 steps up from the parking lot. Basically clean but not spotless. Behind the mattress by the headboard needed a vacuum. No television but sitting on deck in front of the room reading was very peaceful and quiet. We played on their golf course which had just opened. No markers were up yet and no pull carts available. Had to take a cart - thought it was overpriced. I had a soak, wrap and massage. The soak ended up being my feet in the tub only. Those tubs were filthy. No way was I sitting in it. The massage was okay. My husband went on a good hike on the trail behind the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ORCon
Pasco, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

This was our first trip to a Washington hot springs and it will not be our last! Our stay started with a phone call that explained the hot springs and the resort. The person Lanna, that we spoke with told us that it was rustic, in the forrest, and that it would be quiet. The hot springs soak and wrap were great--nothing over the top with the physical surroundings but the water is hot and so very healing--the wrap is warm and just what is needed after the soak. Everyone was nice and helpful. All ways ask question if you are not sure. We both also did the massage and they were over the top-great! Ask for Debbie or John--both were great! You need to take things easy and just relax here. The room is relaxing without a TV, you can walk, take pictures, talk, read, or just enjoy being in the forrest-there are lots of birds to see and hear. Our stay was very much enjoyed! Will go back again!

Room Tip: Top floor is great for seeing birds, the sun, the moon, and just listening for the sounds of nature...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jewelsone
Eastern Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I visited the spa for a soak, wrap, and massage. I am not a day spa person so I have no basis for comparison, except I saw no glass tiles and smelled no spacial spa fragrances. What I did have was two very relaxing, rejuvenating hours in a basic, natural, and relaxed place. The staff was welcoming, and easy going, directing me to my own huge antique tub. I soaked to my neck in mineral water as hot as I wanted for half and hour, left alone in the quiet, simple, historic bath room. After, my attendant Bernice directed me to the wrap beds and covered me comfortably in cotton, flannel, and wool, warm enough to allow me to sweat well for another half hour. It was a simple and natural room; quiet, clean, and peaceful. My massage was preceded by a quick rinse off shower. The massage was for relaxation. I did not ask for any therapeutic treatment so I don't know if that is an option. I had a little soreness from vacation activity that was worked out by the end of the hour long massage. Overall It was just the kind of experience that I find relaxing: time alone in a natural environment with no pretense or expectation. If your needs are also simple, then you will find this rustic experience enjoyable

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank taylorcalm
Vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

April 4 2012 - Brought a friend from Alaska out to Carson HS for a soak and a wrap. I had a gift certificate that was still valid (according to the date) however I was told I could not use it because of a change in ownership. We decided to stay because we were there and had made the drive from Vancouver. When we entered the bathouse there was no one there to greet us. The attendant did come in a few minutes and showed us to our baths and then said she would be back in 25 minutes to do our wraps. Having been there several years ago myself I knew what to expect but the bathouse did not appear as clean and even more delapitated. The attendant never checked on us nor did she return. We got out -long after the 25minutes, we waited & waited finally a massage therapist happened to be walking thru so I stopped her and asked is she could find our attendant. Instead, the front office receptionist came in and said she would do our wraps....by this time we were cooled off, one of the cots looked like they still had used blankets on it and the other had sheets that looked liked they had been shredded in a wringer wash machine...we opted out of the wrap - got dressed and left.
.......Bonneville's clean and upscale spa is only $5 more for a soak and wrap.......

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank T C

Travellers are raving about these Carson hotels

Portland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

If you're looking for a therapeutic, rustic and relaxing experience, you'll be in the right place. The linens were new, clean and comfortable. The tubs were the same old clawfoots with room to spare and the hottest water you could want. Comments concerning the faucets don't take into account that the water is full of minerals including sulpher which isn't kind to chrome (or silver jewelry). The rust on the tub and the faucets doesn't make the water any less therapeutic. The womens side of the baths has windows that let in diffused light while you rest in your wrap. This is done either, loose, medium or tight - your choice. None of the men who went with us chose to do the baths so I can't tell you how it is on that side.The sauna and shower after your soak was a nice finish. The tubs are separated by shower curtains hung on old (probably original) painted pipes attached to the ceiling which creates a little room for you to relax in. The walls have old bead board and the ceiling has new pine boards that give you something to let your mind wander over while you're soaking. The new owner is working on improving and repairing the site but I hope they keep much of the current site as it's so full of character.

Bringing a pair of pool slippers/thongs will keep your feet off the cement floor and can be used in the shower. They have plenty of towels so you can leave yours at home if you wish. The little dressing room is cozy with bins to put your clothing in. There are no lockers so leave your personal items somewhere safe. There is a hairdryer provided but bring your own shower supplies (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel/soap) and deodorant. The baths are segregated into women and men so you aren't together during the soak/wrap if you're there as a couple. Cost is $20 plus WA tax. Be sure and bring some extra cash to tip your bath attendant. She's the one that will fill your tub and wrap you for your rest. Of course she then cleans up after you too.

Overall, this place is worth the drive up the beautiful Columbia Gorge. If you drive I-84 on the Oregon side and take the Bridge of the Gods (toll bridge $1 each way) and can get there in about 45 minutes depending on traffic. The drive on the Washington side (Hwy 14) is a beautiful, winding drive which was a great way to view the Oregon side of the gorge as well as stunning visitas of trees and mountains right next to the road. We stopped at Skaminia Lodge to have an outstanding lunch to make this a day of indulgence.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
22 Thank Jeanette H
Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

The Hotel rooms are new, rather dark despite the window and kind of stuffy, unless you use the very loud fan hooked up on the "radiator." More importantly there are no refrigerators. They started at $75 which is a pretty normal price but still seemed overpriced to us. There wasn't a soul there (Mon and Tues) but they should at least include one visit to the tubs with the room price. The hotel layout makes you walk the length of the building to go down to the parking lot

The Baths are open 9-4 and since it's summer, we would have preferred to take a hot mineral bath at night. Men and Woman are in separate bath houses, and each house has an, "attendant." For a 20 buck visit, The attendant puts you in an individual tub surrounded by a curtain, and reminds you not to talk. They also time the amount of time you stay in the bathtub soaking. You are asked to get out after 25 minutes, then they wrap you in a towel and give you 25 minutes to sweat. We felt pretty good after the sweat, but there's no freedom in the set up. You are more or less ushered out in less than an hour, which is not what I think most people want in a Spa Experience, even if it is cheap.

The whole ambiance is not really, "bath friendly,' or at all social. We went with friends, so we at least wanted to chat quietly while soaking. I think they need to change their set up if they want to draw more people in.

1. The baths have to be open at night.

2. People need to be able to stay in the tubs as long as they like.

3. The rooms are kind of depressing and dark. NO refrigerators, nothing on the wall

4. At least one bath needs to be included with the price of the room

All in all, it Carson is in a nice area of the Columbia River Gorge, but if given the choice, we would prefer Hood River, or somewhere else.

5. Going for just the baths is not worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for the large room on the end of the second floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank gfran2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carson
Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#7 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!