“what a disappointment”

Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carson
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Other than the room being clean but nothing special,this has to be one of the worst experiances Ive had,and I travel alot.I feel their website is deceiving by not being clear on what your getting,then by the time you drive all the way up there your kind of stuck.They dont tell you(even when I called to make reservations)that the price of the room doesnt include using the "mineral spa",which seems rediculous considering theres really no other reason to go up there,especially this time of year.The spa consists of seperate rooms for the men and women with 8 bathtubs in each.The hours for soaking are crazy,from 9am till 6:45pm.I stopped by the spa after hours,what most people would consider the best soaking time,to see if it was open,and it was..But not to the public of course,its was open for the staff and there friends?There staff had no clue how to operate whats suppose to be a relaxing experience.This place could be so much better but I think its been lost to the hidious golf course they built.Lets face it-the type of people who enjoy a gift from mother earth such as a natural hot spring arent living on the same planet as those who enjoy the resource vampire we call a golf course-

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
24  Thank mike z

Reviewed 17 February 2013

We wanted a quiet, romantic weekend at a hot springs resort... we had a terrible time and felt very misled by their web site and by the staff person we spoke with on the phone when we made the reservation for our hotel room. The room was ok... think best western/motel 6 but what we didn't know was that to use the "spa facility" it was an extra charge. And the spa rooms were segregated men & women seperate. My partner said the men's bath house had a bunch of old style bath tubs set very close toghether, no privacy and the attendant cleaning tubs while he was trying to relax....

My experence on the women's side was basically sitting in a bath tub, closed in on all sides by white plastic shower curtains clipped together with an attendent asking every 5 minutes if I was done yet. At one point the attendant began to clean the tub next to mine and I had to get out due to the fumes from the chemical cleaning products she was using... next came the "spa wrap"
which consisted of lying on a plastic mat on a cot and being wrapped in over bleached itchy sheets and an old wool blanket placed on top of me.

Not at all relaxing.... the staff were arguing and talking loudly and hurrying all the women to hurry up and get out....

Also terrible ambiance, bright lights, bare bulbs hanging from ceiling.... it had the feel of a third world hospital emergency room....

Also no real massage tables and I question if the person doing the massage is actually a licensed massage therapist.

Staff were not able to answer questions and I overheard the other women stating their dissatisifaction one guest said "This is just a bath tub, I could do this at home and relax".

We won't be back... the sad thing is there is so much potential but it really missed the mark.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the hotel.... might be ok for just a day visit if you want to sit alone in a tub
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
23  Thank Amy R
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed in hot tub suite. Ceiling tiles were filthy, some replaced with painted card board. Old stove and debris scattered around entrance to room. Pry marks on the door jam, you could see in room when door was closed and locked. Curtains looked like they were just purchased from Wal Mart. Wrinkled with the fold marks still present. Dirt build up around bed from lack of cleaning. You could hear creatures in the ceiling at night(dead mouse outside door in am). Spiders and webs in some of the corners. We did look in the window of the standard rooms in the other building, they are the ones shown on the web and appear to be in much better condition. 240 BUCKS! Really got stung on this room!

• Stayed: September 2012
18  Thank Denise1264
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Have never been to a hot springs "bath house" before and at my friends suggestion we ran away from city life and spent an evening here. A beautiful 2 hour drive from Salem, OR and we ventured to a place so remote we wonder how the settlers ever discovered the place. The bath house is definitely OLD. Not sure if they are the original tubs but surely looks like it. Note to self, when entering the bath house use your inside voice as you literally walk in to rows of tubs with people trying to relax (men's/women's are separate). However, you are promptly greeted by an attendant (ours was Gloria - sweetest lady in the world) who directs you to the changing rooms and begins running your bath. All tubs are fully enclosed with a curtain for privacy. Don't forget to take off ALL your jewelry. My sterling silver toe ring turned some obnoxious shades and I thought it was ruined, but luckily by the next day it was back to normal. After our 25 minute soak we were directed to another room for our wrap. Gloria wrapped us as snug as a bug in a rug, gently drapping a towel around our face with room to breath so we could sweat out the rest of our toxins. It was quite comfortable, and the breeze from the open door was welcoming. I wished I could have spent an extra 25 minutes there! Next you shower, to wash off your sweat and toxins, and proceed to a lovely one hour massage. Completely different than any I've had before. I love deep pressure, but my gal had the "magic touch" for lack of better words. After being throughly relaxed, we ventured to the dry sauna for a few more minutes of luxury before showering again. While in the sauna, we met a local girl who suggested a brand new brewery in town for our dinner (that's the next review!!!). As for lodging, the rooms are quite simple but very clean. There are no phones, microwaves, fridges or art in the standard double queen room we had, but it was very welcoming. A nice way to "unplug" from the world. They were in the midst of some construction/remodeling which was a little annoying, but we looked past that. However, the lovely Bluejay that wanted to serenade us in the morning we could have went without! Nonetheless, we woke up to a gorgeous sunrise coming over the mountain. I will definitely return and bring my husband.

Room Tip: Ask for the first floor unless you want to wear out your glutes after your lovely massage!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Jackie W
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I just went up to the bathhouse for the first time last Tuesday. I got the bath and wrap, which was $17.00 (a Tuesday special)-- quite a bargain. The bathhouse is about 120 years old and shows its wear -- it's an old place without candles and spa music -- pretty bare bones. However, they have recently made some improvements to the ceilings and bathrooms, and I bet more will be on the way. I was told that Bonneville Hot Springs now owns Carson, so I think things should improve a lot. The defunkt hotel rooms near the river are being refurbished with hot tubs on the decks, which will probably be ready in a few months. Man, did I get the gossip when I was there! Anyway, suffice it to say that the new management seems a lot better than the old.

I ate a very tasty sandwich at the restaurant by the now open golf course. The restaurant has a limited menu, and one cranky golfer stormed out because his food wasn't ready before his tee time, but the waitress was really nice. I think they will work out the kinks eventually.

I look forward to checking it out in a few months when things are a little more together with the new management and the new rooms are open. It's a pretty cool place that warrants a visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank mandypdx
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I have reviewed this spot many a time. I guess it's our favorite place for a quick trip. Proximity from PDX is less than 40 minutes. The property is always evolving and this time in a positive way. The ownership has changed and it was bought out by Boniville resorts. There is a rustic feel to the rooms and I'm sure the old St Martin building is on the list to go away. The golf course is beautiful and has the front 9 open and for $31 with a cart is a good price. Most recently the restaurant opened for breakfast and lunch and the fare and service were great. I still prefer the bungalo bar for food and atmosphere. Fried chicken is da best and it's so funny that the locals think your from huge city when just from liitle ole Portland. For the price Carson hotsprings and the Bungalo beat out Bonville and Skamina hands down if you take that short trip down the road.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Mraschio
Linda H, Guest Relations Manager at Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Thank you for the feedback. Just to set the record straight Bonneville Hot Springs is not the owner of Carson Hot Springs, the same management team runs both properties. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

We were on the second floor - 49 steps up from the parking lot. Basically clean but not spotless. Behind the mattress by the headboard needed a vacuum. No television but sitting on deck in front of the room reading was very peaceful and quiet. We played on their golf course which had just opened. No markers were up yet and no pull carts available. Had to take a cart - thought it was overpriced. I had a soak, wrap and massage. The soak ended up being my feet in the tub only. Those tubs were filthy. No way was I sitting in it. The massage was okay. My husband went on a good hike on the trail behind the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ORCon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carson
Columbia Gorge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lyle
Hood River Hotel
Hood River Hotel
#6 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!