“luxurious and rustic with wonderful service”

Carson Ridge Luxury Cabins
Ranked #1 of 1 Carson B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 December 2012

After a week in Portland, I spent 2 nights at Carson Ridge in the Green Leaf Cabin. I have been to Portland on business many times and only visited the gorge on day trips. I reviewed and researched bed and breakfasts all through the Gorge area and I hit the jackpot with Carson Ridge. I never got the opportunity to meet Latisha, but Pete was fantastic and so hospitable. It is because of Innkeepers like Pete that I continue to spoil myself with Inns like this.

This is a very unique bed and breakfast. The accomodations are individual cabins that are both luxurious and rustic. The bed was downright heavenly with a very comfortable mattress and a snuggly goose down duvet and pillows. The bed is hand crafted from reclaimed timber and there is wood trim all through the cabin adding to the rustic feel. On the porch there was a table with 2 chairs and a swing. If the weather had been better, I would have loved to spend an afternoon in the swing reading a book and drinking a nice glass of local wine.

This location is definitely an excellent romantic couples retreat but it is also a fabulous mind, body and soul kind of place which is exactly what I was looking for. I do hope to return with my husband one day and experience the romantic side of this beautiful place.

And finally there is Pete who carried my bag to my cabin while also carrying his child. He made me feel very welcome and at home. He provided some excellent winery suggestions. He cooks the most delicious breakfast which consisted of a fruit bowl with yogurt and granola, a quiche and a peach cobbler. My last morning I had to make a flight out of Portland so I left earlier than their normal breakfast time. I checked out and Pete had made me a breakfast burrito to go and 2 almond poppy seed muffins.

I highly recommend staying here if you are looking for accomodations that are luxurious and comfortable with very hospitable personal service. I know this will not be my last visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Lori L

Reviewed 15 November 2012

Carson Ridge Cabins are definitely a find amid the magnificent scenery in the Columbia River Gorge. This unusual property -- an encampment of free-standing luxury cabins -- is in a small town on the less-visited Washington side of the river. The cabins are handsomely decorated in appropriate cabin motif with many carefully thought-out details -- from porch swings to great leather chairs for reading. This is the kind of small-scale luxe place that one often seeks out but seldom finds. The beds are so comfortable one never wants to leave them, unless it's to sample the wonderful breakfasts offered by genial hosts Latisha & Pete Steadman. One small caution: The cabins are quite close together, so don't come expecting one's very own slice of wilderness.

Room Tip: The three newer cabins cost about $100 more per night, but may well be worth it because of their spa...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We stayed here in a beautiful cabin with the biggest and highest bed every experienced! It was made from reclaimed timber and was a brilliant night's sleep. The resort has trails for running and walking in and if you're lucky you can find the secluded hammocks in the woods. The breakfast was delightful. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2012

My husband and I came up to Portland to attend a car auction. Our experience in Portland did not go well, started out waiting an hour for the hotel shuttle which never came. Not knowing Oregon/Washington very well I searched the internet and found the Carson Ridge Cabins. The cabin was so unique and special. The whole property shows pride of ownership. The owners where so very nice and even had fresh scones, and fruit from their garden for us, early in the morning since we had to leave early for our flight home. Don't be deceived by the town, it isn't much but if you were to use Carson Ridge as a home base you can't go wrong. It's so nice to see a couple really loving what they are doing and making thier guest feel at home. We will definitely come back. Thank you Tom.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

We had an amazing 3 night stay for our honeymoon. We didn't want to travel far from Spokane the day after our wedding, so we looked them up on line, not sure how we found it, but knew it was perfect when we arrived. The Inn Keepers are warm and friendly, and so very helpful and knowledgeable about the area. They left us a bottle of chilled Champagne in the refrigerator! The food was delectable! We went during the week, and there were only two other couples staying. We were able to watch the sunrise two mornings in a row, from the secluded viewing area. Nice nature walk, led us to two secluded hammocks in the forest. We picked wild black berries, to take home and try to make their amazing blackberry coffee cake! Wouldn't change a thing! Planning our next stay, in one of the bigger cabins!

Room Tip: The bigger cabins have better views............depends on your budget
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We decided two weeks before Labor Day that we wanted to spend the weekend hiking somehwere in Oregon. I am in the travel buisness but was not familiar with any properties in the area and came across this one by chance. I normally prefer 5 * properties, like The Four Seasons and the Trump so I wasn't sure I was going to like this but we LOVED it. Our cabin, Mt. Adams was one of the larger ones and was just perfect in every way. It was very quiet and peaceful and the view was outstanding, the bed was comfortable and the gas fireplace was perfect for the cool evenings.

The service was wonderful and so were the breakfasts and homemade cookies we found in the lobby every afternoon. Tom suggested several great restaurants in Hood River and even though it was 30 miinutes away, we went every evening as it was a fun town.

This is a great base for exploring the Columbia River Gorge and it's many waterfalls and hiking trails. We also did the Norway Pass hike on Mt. St. Helen's... a little far but totally worth it.

We will certainly be back!

Reviewed 1 September 2012

After reading other reviews and exploring the Carson Ridge Cabins website, we expected a more remote location, not close to the highway in front of the establishment. Even with a 35 mph speed limit, the roads in this part of Washington are terrible, and noise is a problem. There was no promised view of the River Gorge. The cabins are all nestled close to one another. No real privacy. Fortunately, we had reserved the Mt. Hood, or #10 cabin, furthest away from the road and with only one neighboring cabin. The setting is exquisite nevertheless, with acres of greenery. Tom greeted us promptly, asked whether we had breakfast requests: and , as usual, we asked NOT to have onions. (or coconut) Tom assured us that would not be a problem and that our breakfast would be delivered at 9am.(Why can't breakfast be available earlier at B&B's? Most people we speak to would also like to eat earlier). He appeared to write down our requests.
As our escort to the cabin, Tom pointed out the amenities and the surrounding property. There are several places to sit outside, including the lovely porch swing. The large room is inviting and furnished with top quality, comfortable furniture. The bedding was great: soft sheets, luxurious comforter cover, and numerous pillows. Loved the 2 headed shower--either regular or rain.
The bathtub looked inviting, and after listening to the complex directions for use, I decided to try the tub before dinner. Well...the water took so long to fill the tub that I stopped half way, either being too impatient or trying to save on the large amount of water required to fill the tub for use. I do agree with other reviewers that this tub would only comfortably seat one--my husband and I are not large, but being tall, one of us would take up most of the length.
Back to check in. It was our anniversary week, and there was a nice card, albeit generic, and bottle of Champagne waiting. But, the bottle was at room temperature. The basket of goodies contained 2 granola bars and something else not memorable.
There are bottles of wine to purchase, but the refrigerator only contained some water---no juice, no sodas, plus some beer to purchase as well.
Trekking up to #10 is uphill on gravel and not easy even for a very young person carrying luggage. Tom did not offer to help.
WiFi is available but tortoise speed.
We turned on the air conditioner unit just for the noise reduction.
Do not believe the hype about breakfast here. There is NO buffet, just a simple breakfast served buffet style with one main entree. The Denver Bake was our morning fare--with ONIONS.
We had earlier asked to eat in the main building for breakfast instead of having it delivered, thinking we would have more options, but alas, that was not the case. However, the berry-streusel muffins were amazingly great--we had 2!. There was some homemade granola that contained coconut--but we already knew this since when we informed Tom of our dislike for this, he did warn us. Yet, if it is indeed homemade, then why not make a little without something a guest did not want?
These cabins are very expensive and could demand the high price if not for the illusion of solitude, quiet, and the buffet breakfast.
The grounds are wonderful to roam around on, and do look for the abandoned orchard past the hammocks. I would stay here again if the breakfast improved and the prices was lower. Indeed, this is not what I would consider a Luxury Cabin. But, better than some we have visited.
There was no reason to complain to the innkeepers since the cabins are where they are, and the breakfasts are planned out in advance. Tom and Maryanne are personable and easy to talk with, but neither could silence the road noise nor would a complaint change the breakfast.
The standards for a truly luxury, 5 star establishment are not met here.

Room Tip: Mt Hood cabin, #10, is furthest from the road noise, and with only one neighbor, the most private...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank grandmommyof6
carsonridge1261, Manager at Carson Ridge Luxury Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

We always try to listen carefully to guest comments, both positive and negative, so we’re disappointed you didn’t feel you could tell us the things you mentioned in this review. We’re certainly glad you enjoyed your cabin’s many amenities and our lovely setting.

Most of our guests go out of their way to mention the tranquility here (their word, as in the previous review) and rave about the selection and quality of our breakfasts. As you noted, our granola is house-made, and it’s extremely popular. It’s a time-consuming process that doesn’t lend itself to daily individualization. In the last six months we’ve had two guests out of hundreds mention they dislike coconut.

The breakfast buffet served in our lodge dining room each morning includes not only a hot entrée but a freshly-baked “sweet” (those muffins you loved) as well as the granola, yogurt, a wide assortment of fresh fruit, two and sometimes three juice choices. Yesterday morning one of our well-traveled guests said ours was the best breakfast he’d ever been served at a B&B.

We take great pride in accommodating our guests’ varying dietary needs and special requests, and we did that for you, too. You twice mentioned a dislike of raw onions, which appeared in no foods served during your stay.

One of the many wonderful attributes of our location is that Carson is a gateway to nearby Mt. Adams and also Mount St. Helens. The two-lane road that runs through our tiny community does see a lot of travelers in the height of the tourist season, but the road is neither a “highway” nor in poor condition.

We hope you will consider returning during a less-busy time of year – it’s beautiful and there’s a lot to do here year round.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carson
Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Hood River Hotel
Hood River Hotel
#6 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Carson Ridge Luxury Cabins? Share your experiences!