“Dirty, smelly, unacceptable.”

Timberland Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Castle Rock
Reviewed 14 September 2010

My husband and I booked this motel for a friend's wedding. We travled from Montana, and arrived around midnight. Upon opening the door of the room we were greeted with the most awful smell. We immediately opened the door and window and turned on the a/c to try to ventilate the room. My husband yanked the covers back and it was obvious that the bedding had not been changed! Disgusted we gathered our belongings and put them back into our truck. The manager credited us back for 2 of the 3 nights, but refused to reimbuse the 3rd night. He offered us another room, but we were so upset and disgusted that the thought of taking the time to look at one more room and waste our time looking at the same thing was not an option. He said the booking agency we used online prevented him from reimbursing us our 3rd night fee. We called the booking agency; were told that this was not the case and that the motel alone has the authority to give us back our money. We then went back the next morning to discuss this with the staff, and once more got no place with them. I just got off the phone with the mangager who refused to give me the owner's name and contact information. I will tell everyone I know to never stay at this place!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RBowman-09

Reviewed 6 July 2010

My son and I stayed here for one night before our hike at St. Helens. A bit overpriced. If you are 65 or older, make sure you ask for the senior citizen rate as the difference is significant. Even so, overpriced for this hotel that is a bit 70's-ish. The sheets on the bed didn't seem fresh. The small refrigerator had to be unplugged because of a constant squeel sound. Reasonably quiet, even though it was close to the highway. Owners are apparently from India as half the stations are satellite feeds from India. If you like cricket (booooring), India soap operas (really bad acting), or India rap videos (quite funny), your good. A very big complaint is that they allow smoking in selected rooms, but the smoke drifts down the corridors into the other rooms when the smokers leave their windows open, as they did. We could not leave the door or window open. I'm a bit surprised that the state of Washington still allows smoking rooms in hotels. Also, the "breakfast" was a joke. Sickly looking pasteries in cellophone wrappers, toast and butter, and coffee. We stayed with the coffee only.

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank OregonMaryT
Reviewed 7 July 2009

My family and I stayed here one night in July while visiting Mt. St. Helens. I had read the reviews prior to our trip and wasn't sure what to expect. What a nice suprise! The rooms and building were in great condition and very clean. It's set off the road so it's quiet and we didn't hear a peep from anyone or anything during our stay. The rooms are nice sized and met our needs. If you're expecting the Marriott, you're going to be disappointed. It's your standard roadside motel. However, if you're looking for a place that is clean with comfy beds, you won't be disappointed. We paid $99 for the room which is the going rate I suppose. There aren't too many hotels in the area. They also have their own laundry facility which is a nice feature. There is a food store just down the street as well should you need to pick up some items. I would stay here again.

NOTE: Make sure you drive to Johnson Visitor Center right beside Mt. St. Helens. The view of the mountain is amazing! It takes a little less then an hour to reach it (55 miles from the hotel, but the road is good.). You can view outside for free, but there is a charge to go into the visitor center/see the movie. I think it's something like $7 for adults (kids are free). If you have a national park pass, it's free. There are other visitor centers along the road, some are free and others are not, but Johnson has the best view of MSH.

Should you require/want a more upscale hotel, there is a Red Lion Hotel one exit south of Castle Rock (exit #48).

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank GwenP
Reviewed 16 September 2008

If you like retro 1950's style with pastel colors and pictures of pink Flamingos on the wall then this is the place for you. I stayed there last month but forgot my shaving kit when checking out. Arrived back in Anacortes (200 miles north) that evening and realized what I had done. It was getting late so I called the next morning to check on their lost and found. Told them that there was a couple of heart medicines in the bag along with Insulin and other meds but was told that the lost and found was in the housekeeping section and it would be a while for them to check. When I called back later they said they had no trace of my bag. Apparently they either didn't bother to check or the housekeeping personnel just tossed it. I suppose this is just an indication of their regard for their customers. It costs me considerable expense and time to replace the medicine that I needed to have, since I live in Colorado.

• Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank maxwell80524
Reviewed 21 August 2007

I figure you get what you pay for and this place was under $80. The place was clean and the staff was helpful, but the bathroom light would not work, so they had us change rooms. The rooms had little amenities, except an ice box and hair dryer. We did enjoy picking the blackberries in the back parking lot, which we needed because the breakfast consisted of hot drink, juice and small sweet roll. So the place was not bad for one night.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2007

Most of the reviews here are right on the money - we stayed here for 3 nights, and found it to be comfortable, quiet, and very clean (housekeeping staff gets an A+). The room hasn't got the amenities that you'd expect when you're paying around $100/night - no coffeemaker, no iron, no extra blankets or pillows, no wireless internet. It does have soft drink vending machines, coffee in the lobby & also available from an on-site coffee hut, and great insulation in the rooms, which is nice, since you're right by the expressway. Also appreciated was the hot water for showers (some hotels seem to be going overboard with the conservation efforts, and offer water only HINTING at hot), and the a/c that worked very efficiently. There are several restaurants just steps away from the hotel. Not sure about the reviewer who said they'd rather sleep in their car than stay here - we're pretty discriminating, and found this place to be a far cry from a "roach motel".

The Cinedome Theatre right next door - which had a great IMAX-type Mt. St. Helens movie & gift shop - is now closed, but you can see the real deal by driving 52 beautiful miles away. We'd probably stay at this motel again, but a few more amenities for the price would be awesome.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank prosperous&abundant
Reviewed 12 July 2007

The hotel is located 5 miles from Mount St Helens entrance. It's near the highway for easy access and next to 2 gas stations with stores and 2 restaurants across the street. The hotel itself was yucky and barely acceptable. it was old and needs serious remodeling. For the price and location it worked for the night but any longer I would rather sleep in the car.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in Longview
Best Western Plus Park Place Inn & Suites

Been to Timberland Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!