“Ok, for kids”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Centralia
Seattle, Washington
“Ok, for kids”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Our family of four (2 adults & 2 children) went to Great Wolf Lodge on a Thursday at 12:45pm and checked in immediately. They have a very large number of carts available to move your luggage up to your room (50+). We had a kid’s cabin room which are only available on Floors 1-4 (resort is 8 floors). Inside, we found a very, very small bathroom area, a kids cabin which housed a set of bunk beds on one side and an additional kids sized bed on the other side. This area had a flat-screen TV on the wall and a small table. The rest of the room had a Queen-sized bed, 2 side tables, a rotating flat-screen TV (with DVD hookup available), small refrigerator, mini microwave, really mini coffee maker, pull-out sofa bed, square dining table with 2 chairs, a coffee table, hotel hair dryer and a fireplace. The open closet had 2 extra (rock-hard) pillows and a warm blanket. There was also a very small safe in the wall for valuables.

Our room had great blackout curtains (for naps). We brought 2 sound machines which were very useful because we had kids running overhead after 11pm and loud music coming from cars in the parking lot at 6:45am (not cool). The room looked clean at first but as we inspected things, it was not so clean…Our tub had someone’s black hairs left around the side, dirt still around the plug, do they shampoo the rugs ever?, dining room table sticky from past occupants, cobwebs and dust in kids cabin area…bring Clorox wipes… did I mention the rugs? Ugh! Wear your socks.

Despite these things, I saw no bugs of any kind.

The fridge is a standard size mini-fridge with a very, very small freezer area. I recommend bringing a cooler of food. The room was also very dark (bring night lights). Plugs are on the wall behind the TV.

Your water park wristband is hooked to your credit card so you can use it to purchase goods, food, services without having to leave your room with your cash/credit cards. I think alcohol purchases do require a photo ID.

We did the Magic Quest game and it was a lot of fun. The act of getting the wand and having it activated was excrutiatingly painful as we waited in 2 lines for over 50 minutes in a store packed with children brimming with excitement. Patience is a needed companion at this hotel. There are many children running around unsupervised, cutting, pushing and generally being quite annoying. I would be prepared if I were you…

Like other reviews have noted, the Pizza was delicious. There is no room service at this hotel. At the water park, there is mostly fried, unhealthy foods available and without a cabana, you must find a chair or table around the park. There is a store inside the park with bathing suites, flip-flops, etc., but be warned 1 pair of goggles cost us $25.00 (for a child).

Prices are high and so is the chlorine content of the water. My daughter swallowed some of the water and was sick for hours (pack Tums just in case). The water was luke-warm, kiddie pool was great for those under 4. Life jackets are available by the kiddie section but kids really don’t want to wear them for too long (quite bulky). Our cabana was awesome but there are definitely not enough available. You have to call ahead to reserve ($89) and you have access to the park from 9am to 9pm on your reserved day(s). It comes with flat screen TV, dining table and 4 chairs, 2 lounge chairs, towels, safe, a refrigerator stocked with complimentary drinks and a computer screen where you can order food and have it brought to you. I would not go to this place without a cabana if you can get it.

We enjoyed it – I recommend experiencing it at least one time – the kids love, love, love it!!! All told we spent $550 for less than 24 hours (and we brought our own food).

Quick tip: - McDonald’s is an easy option right off the exit for Great Wolf Lodge

3 Thank DorainSitges
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Grand Mound! I am happy to hear that your family had fun playing MagiQuest and enjoyed the pizza we serve on site. I am also very pleased that you were able to take advantage of the cabanas we offer inside the waterpark! They are a relatively recent addition and are a tremendous value for our guests.

Prices on a cabana can vary day to day based upon how many we have remaining in our inventory, but you can inquire on availability and pricing during the reservation process.

I hope you will return to see us again soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I can't imagine staying two nights here. My daughter and I drove about 1.5 hours to get there, no problem. Busy time, parked far away from check in. When they say rooms aren't ready till 4, they mean it. (Got there at 2:30).. So you can leave your stuff in the car, go to water park and wait till they call you about your room. I didn't want to go all the way back to the car so I let my daughter change and I just sat in the pool area and watched our stuff. At about 4, I went to the desk to check progress on our room. Was told that ours wouldn't be ready for 'a while' but we could have one with just one bed instead of two. I took it. Just to get stuff put away. Clean room, comfy bed..but you have to REALLY love chlorine and water that looks like kid soup to make this worthwhile. We did the water slides and wave pool and hot tub..done in about an hour. Room and prepaid breakfast buffet was $370. Sad to pay that bill. The bacon at breakfast didn't taste like bacon, and the donut didn't taste like a donut..omelet was good, biscuits were good. Staff friendly...again, go if you love chlorine!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank bethinwashington
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grand Mound! I am happy to hear that our Guest Services team was able to make the best out of the situation and get you into a room when you needed it.

We appreciate your feedback about the chlorine levels in the waterpark and will share that information with our Aquatics team. They monitor the chlorination of the waterpark continuously throughout the day to ensure they are at safe, but effective levels. If any corrections need to be made, they are done in real time.

I hope you will stay with us again soon!

Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 18 February 2014

While the resort is amazing for children, I was rather disappointed in the cleanliness of the pool area and the rooms. The pool water seemed clean enough, even through the regular cleaning breaks that happened during our stay, but there was mold on flooring around the pool.
The carpet was well worn and the rooms were not very clean. Our floor didn't look like it was vacuumed prior to our arrival. Prob due to quick turnover.
The lifeguards are amazing and do their job well. All of the support staff were very friendly.
Be prepared to spend a lot of money, or keep the kids in the pool area most of the time so they wear out quickly. If you don't, they will want to spend their time and your money participating in every other thing available.
Food is just average
The spa is great for the adults

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Grand Mound! I am glad that your kids enjoyed the waterpark and that the adults were able to take advantage of Elements Spa & Salon. We pride ourselves on offering family-friendly fun for guests of all ages.

I am very sorry that you feel the level of cleanliness in the waterpark and in the rooms is insufficient. Our Housekeeping team, as well as our Maintenance team in the waterpark, works tirelessly to ensure they are upholding the standards we have set for them. If you feel that your room is not cleaned to your specifications, then please reach out to the Front Desk and they will accommodate you as best they can.

To help make those extra amenities a bit more affordable, we do provide our guests the opportunity to purchase discounted bundle packages that include many of the other activities. For more information, please visit our website.

We look forward to seeing your family again soon!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I actually had to go to Seattle for an afternoon meeting and decided to stay here. Got a great rate for the whole family where the kids had their own "cabin" within the room. The room was VERY Clean and Comfortable, not bothered by any noise, Very comfortable beds, and the fireplace was a nice touch.

We stayed mid week during the winter, so there were hardly any lines on the rides inside, and the large open pool are in the 80 degree range was a nice change for this part of the country!

Fantastic Value for a family of 5.

As I mentioned - stayed here wile I was headed to a meeting in Seattle (from Portland), this is definitely NOT close enough for most Seattle business, but it was perfect for me to leave my family there while I ran to my afternoon meeting, and then stopped at the hotel on the way back. You are entitled to use the water part until 9PM on checkout day, so it was GREAT!

Room Tip: Mid week rates are great - during the stay we were given an option to stay a 2nd night at greatly re...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Good Water Park - Great for kids particularly during the non-summer months in Pacific Northwest. Decent lodging. Reasonable pricing. Service in 'Critter' restaurant was bad - Slow and sloppy. Breakfast buffet is good.

Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I read other reviews after booking our stay. We stayed two nights February 11th and 12th so it was mid-week. As suggested by other reviewers, I requested a room away from the elevators and MagiQuest game stations. We got a room at the far end of the 3rd floor. It was perfect as we could walk down the stairs to access the pool on the 2nd floor and not have to wait for an elevator when it's busy. I want to thank the reviewer who wrote that the pillows were quite high. We brought a couple of our own, and I'm so glad we did, or I would've slept uncomfortably. The food was alright; we weren't disappointed. We ate at the restaurant (not the buffet) and also tried the takeout pizza place at the hotel. The restaurant was closed on Tuesday evening...not sure if they do this when the hotel isn't full? We didn't want to pay $20 per adult for the buffet so we ended up eating outside the hotel. The pools and slides were fun, and I agree with other people's reviews about the lifeguards. They were very alert and took their job seriously. I asked one lifeguard a question about one of the slides and he wouldn't even look away from the pool when he answered my question. I found the water in the pools a little bit cool but since the indoor air temperature is warm, it was tolerable. Since it was mid-week, we didn't have to wait more than 10 minutes to go on any of the slides. After our first pool visit, we went upstairs to shower but I found that the water pressure wasn't very strong in our room, and taking showers sequentially slowed us down. My suggestion to others is to bring your shampoo and use the showers by the pool. I could shower the girls at the same time this way. They have a soap dispenser in the shower and plenty of heated towels. The water pressure was much stronger and the temperature remained constant so both girls could get under the shower, unlike the shower in our room. They don't have family change rooms so I had to bring the girls to the shower with me and Dad couldn't help out to speed things. We attended story time one night and found it to be just okay. My toddler enjoyed the animated display but the young woman reading the story afterwards was barely audible even with her mic, and we were within a few feet of her. She read too quickly and she also could not read the story with the book facing the crowd; she had to read with the pages facing her and then she would quickly show the page to the audience and then turn the book back towards her. At the end of our stay, they slipped us a coupon for a discounted room rate to entice us to extend our stay. They also did this with my friends who went last year. I guess I could've taken a gamble and booked just one night and saved money with the coupon for the next night. Oh well... We have no regrets though we probably won't return until our toddler is old enough for the slides. Mom/Dad were pretty bored stuck in the kiddie pool for hours.

Enumclaw, Washington, United States
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The kids love it - the magicquest more than the actual waterpark itself. The drinks are delicious and adequately strong. Kids menu is reasonably priced at the restaurants, but everything else is exorbitant. They'll nickel and dime you to death there, especially because the kids will want (and beg for) everything they see. There is a burger joint near the gas station next door to the hotel that is well-priced and tasty (don't miss the delicious date shakes!)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cari E
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Grand Mound! I am happy to hear that your children enjoyed MagiQuest as well as the waterpark.

I appreciate your concerns regarding prices and since you last stayed we have implemented some new add-on packages that are a huge hit with our guests. To help make eating on site more affordable, we offer a Family Dining package as well as a Kids Dining package. Both save at least 30% off the regular retail price of the items included!

I hope you will return to see us again soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centralia
Olympic Club Hotel & Theater
Best Western Plus Park Place Inn & Suites
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion
Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia
Peppermill Empress Inn
Peppermill Empress Inn
#3 of 11 in Centralia

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!