“Cool history ...”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Centralia
New Westminster, Canada
“Cool history ...”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Cool small hotel with lots of history attached to the Olympic Club hote - total up to the McMennamins standard of excellence! Has a beautiful old-fashioned theatre with velvet seating included with stay. A bit noisy at night with the pub below but not too bad really. Beds are comfy and rooms are very clean. Less than half a block from the Amtrak station makes this a very handy place to stay if travelling on the train - and free street parking too boot.

Room Tip: Stay at the front of the hotel as you won't hear the train so much ...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have stayed here before so luckily I knew where the check in desk was, but a sign outside would be helpful. The “hotel” sign is actually on the door that leads you to your room, but you have to have a key to get in there. It would be nice to have at the front desk a sign that said something about going to the bar for service or maybe someone wears a pager and you push a button to alert someone you are waiting out front with your luggage. We arrived at dinner/happy hour time, so it was probably 5 min before someone was able to come and help us.

Our room was tidy and well appointed. The cleaning staff is helpful and went out of their way to keep our room and the bathrooms clean. I think the bathrobes need to be replaced as both of ours had holes in them and frayed edges.

Lastly, it was never the right temperature in our room but there is no way to adjust the temperature. First our vent would blow out cold air so cold that you couldn’t sit at the table. Then when you tried to sleep it would blow out warm and make it hard to sleep. Also, our room was above the theatre so from 6-9 pm all you could hear was the movie from down below. Luckily, we weren’t in our room much.

We enjoyed Happy Hour one night. And breakfast one morning. Service was good.

Take the train here for a fun weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Portola, California
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

We loved our time at The Oly, my husband and I took Amtrak to Centralia to stay at the Olympic Hotel,we knew that it is an historic hotel and the bathrooms are down the hall and it was near the railroad tracks, I didn't know it would be so clean and restored in such a fun and charming way. Each room is dedicated to a patron or employee from the past and the halls are dawned with historic pictures and sayings.
All the employees we came in contact with seemed to really enjoy working there and made us very comfortable.
If your a light sleeper this might not be the place for you, but if you enjoy things a little out of the ordinary, you will love this place. The theater and billiards are included with the price of the room. Oh did I mention the food and drinks are fabulous!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank HeidiB1
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 October 2013

A gem in Centralia. Grab a package, and get the movie, dinner, breakfast, and billiards all in the historic Olympic Club.

The breakfast here was probably the best breakfast of the trip, and the Mcmennamin's staff was helpful and accommodating.

Thank you for the lovely night in Centralia.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My partner and I have stayed in the Olympic club on a couple of other occasions, but this is the first time we have brought our family (two teens and a child). In the pasts we have stayed in the hotel proper, but this time we booked into the "King Suite" on the ground floor. We figure that this had been a barber shop in a previous life. Very comfortable, and spacious, although we did need to put our youngest on an airbed on the floor. Not many hotels cater to families of 5. The kids LOVED the decor, and enjoyed exploring this historic building.

Room Tip: All rooms except the king suite have shared bathrooms. This has never been a problem, though!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Washington
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband and I frequent The Olympic Club every couple of months since we live locally. Our previous trips were always met with the good service and good food at a good price. We've tried appetizers to steaks and the food was always tasty.

Last night, however, was the worst experience ever! It was a beautiful night so we decided to eat on the patio behind the bar/restaurant area. Our server, Lazlo, took several minutes to bring us menus and our drinks. He then asked for our order. We ordered as an appetizer the Hummus Plate and then for dinner a gyro and a hamburger. Now, none of these items should have taken a great deal of time to prepare. However, 25 minutes later our food finally arrived and guess what, Lazlo forgot to order our Hummus Plate! I wasn't sure how he wanted us to eat the salad that went with our meal because my husband had to get up from the table and go get us some silverware for the other waitress in our area who was much more experienced with waiting tables.

The food was okay but we've certainly had better. It was probably due to having a theater full of people who were ordering meals and drinks. My suggestion is to not go on a night that a movie is playing and the service (from another waiter/waitress) would give you better odds of having a good meal with good service.

Lastly, when we asked for our bill, he brought it to the table and didn't say thank you for coming...no response whatsoever. I spoke to the manager on duty who informed me that he was brought in from another restaurant and she would take care of it so I give her kudos for that but it really left a sour taste in my mouth. I don't think we will be returning any time soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank USN_Seabee_Wife
Matt O, Manager at Olympic Club Hotel & Theater, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Hello,
My name is Matt Osborne and I am the Property Manager of McMenamins Olympic Club. First of all I would like to apologize for the poor service you received during your last visit to The Olympic Club. We pride ourselves on giving great service to each and every customer that walks through the door, in the case of your last visit we did not come close to hitting that goal. All of our servers are trained in the same way and that the server you had does not work here on a regular basis does not justify the service you received that night.
I have shown your feedback to my Pub Manager and the manager on duty that night to make sure that we use this as a learning experience on how to make sure that they are aware of what is going on in all sections of the building at all times. I would love to talk to you about compensating you for last visit, if interested please email me at matto@mcmenamins.com. Once again I am truly sorry about your last visit and I look forward to hearing from you.

Matt Osborne
Property Manager
McMenamins Olympic Club
Yakima, Washington, USA
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a great time here. After checking in we had dinner, played pool and watched a movie without leaving the building. Pool and the movie were included with our hotel stay. At their movie theatre they have random chairs, loveseats and tables for a very relaxed atmosphere, plus you are able to order food and beverage! Our room was nice and the bed was comfy. The shared bathroom was always clean and was never in use when we needed it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centralia
Best Western Plus Park Place Inn & Suites
Great Wolf Lodge
#1 of 11 in Centralia
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,068 reviews
Centralia Square Grand Ballroom and Hotel

Been to Olympic Club Hotel & Theater? Share your experiences!