“Suncadia Is The Perfect Experience!”
Review of Suncadia Resort

Suncadia Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cle Elum
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Wow! What an exceptional resort and only 80 short miles from Seattle! We came
over for the weekend and arrived on Friday. We were met with a friendly bell
staff and champagne at check in! It was a wonderful welcome. Bonnie and Eugene
were great during our stay and even remembered us!

We stayed in a river view suite. It had a full kitchen and was very clean. They
are also in the process of a large room renovation that I read about by the
elevator landing. Our room actually had many of the new items including lamps,
dining room chairs and some of the bedding. Look forward to seeing the new
couches!

We ate dinner in Portals on Friday night and was very impressed with the food
and service. The pork chop was incredible and the homemade bourbon ice cream and
brownie is a must try!

So many great things to say about our weekend here... Trust me when I tell you
that you will not be disappointed when you choose to stay here!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I went there for a retreat for 2 days. The overall atmosphere of the place is very relaxing and quiet. The staff are so friendly and helpful.The room was really spacious , very clean, and super comfy beds. The terrace attached to the room is also great though I didn't have time to enjoy it. I don't remember my room's number but it was a bit far from the lobby so my advice is to ask the receptionist to find you a closer one. There is also a small shop in the lobby selling juices, snacks...etc

Room Tip: The hotel is big so try to find a room near the lobby.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Unfortunately the first interaction with the front desk put a big damper on our entire stay. I had tried to book the room online but each time I entered 3 children I would receive a message stating that there were no rooms available. When I put in 2 children many rooms were available. Frustrated I called reservations directly and booked the room. While booking I was told that if I joined their loyalty program I would get 10% off the room and a free upgrade to a river view room. Since I was already planning to book the river view this was great, especially since the program is free. I booked the room and received an email confirmation. Upon review of the confirmation I saw that the 10% off was included but that the the room was listed as a resort view. I then sent an email to reservations to confirm that we did receive the upgrade to the river view room and received an email reply confirming the upgrade. Upon check in the front desk staff was very friendly, we got our keys, and headed up to the room. Once we got to the door I realized quickly that the room was not on the river side. I mentioned this to the bell hop and he immediately said to wait in the room and that he would go down to take care of it.

As we waited for him to return to the room the fire alarm went off and the hotel was evacuated. We grabbed our 3 children and went down 4 flights of stairs and went outside to wait for the all clear to go back in. 15 minutes later I saw that some people were walking around inside while a couple of dozen of us were waiting outside. Apparently we were allowed to go back in but the resort didn't let any of the guests out back know.

After going back in from the fire alarm we decided to just go to the front desk to check on the room change. This is when were told that the River view room was not available because we were given a "soft booking" for the upgrade. This was frustrating because I had confirmed the upgrade again and was told that is was on our reservation. If I had know that it was a soft booking I would have just paid to upgrade at the time of reservation since that is the room that I called for anyway. I worked at the front desk of two different hotels while in college. I understand that these things happen, but I don't understand not telling a guest and having them find out on their own when they get to the room.

To their credit they made and effort to make things right and offered a room discount and free valet for our stay.

Once checked in things went relatively smoothly with the exception of the elevators working on and off throughout the entire weekend. This is not a big deal unless you are my Wife and you get stuck in the elevator for 5 minutes. It is also a bit challenging to cart a 5, 4, and 1 year old up and down 4 flights of stairs with pool attire, etc.

I was also a bit surprised by the lack of help from the from the front desk when I asked them to break a $20.00 bill for money to pay their valet guys. The two agents that I asked did not have change and made zero effort to look beyond their own drawers. The third agent checked in the back and then said that she did not have change to break a twenty. Neither of them offered any suggestions for where I could get change or offered to check another part of the hotel. This was surprising on many levels. First, it was a Saturday morning and they did not have any change? It's not like I was breaking a $100.00 bill. I told them I would be fine with four $5 bills and they did not have it. Second, I expect more from a high-end hotel. Some effort should be made to help me find the change, especially when there were three agents at the desk and I was the only one there. I ended up buying a can of soda in one of the shops so that I could get change.

Okay, now to the good things. This is a beautiful resort. The grounds are fantastic. We loved all of the pools. There is the larger louder pool with the food, drinks, water slides, etc. We had a blast there. Then there is a much quieter pool on the river side of the Lodge. We also enjoyed some more quiet pool time there. There is also food and drink service available there.

We did not eat in any of the restaurants but we did order room service two times. Both times the food service was prompt and the food was hot and very tasty.

I did go into the bar one evening to get some drinks to take back to the room. The service was fantastic and the drinks were very good. I had a long conversation with one of the bartenders who was fantastic.

The cleanliness of the rooms was very good but there was a faint odor in the room and in the hallway near the 4th floor elevators that we couldn't quite nail down all weekend. It was not overwhelming but it was noticeable. I don't think this was a housekeeping issue but maybe just something in the hallway.

The two playgrounds on the property were a hit with our kids. They are a bit of a drive/bike ride from the Lodge but worth it. Our kids also love the S'mores in the front and back fire pits. This is a nice touch and the views from the back side fire pit are fantastic.

The valet/bellhop team is phenomenal. Especially Adam. Adam could not have been any more helpful if he tried. The other valet team members were also great but most of our interaction throughout the weekend was with Adam. He and the rest of this team go above and beyond and met the expectations that I would expect from a higher-end hotel.

All-in-all I think we will give this resort another try, but we are still thinking about it. As you can tell from my other reviews, service is big with me. I can look past many other things at a resort, but initial impressions at check-in are very important to me and should be a focus for this resort.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michaelh73
SuncadiaManager, General Manager at Suncadia Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear Michaelh73,

I agree that we desire for all our guests to have great first impressions of coming to Suncadia and we were very disappointed to learn that your experience fell short. We are working with the team to ensure this is a focus in the future as our number one goal is to ensure all of our guests have a wonderful and memorable experience from the time they enter through our doors to when they leave. We were so pleased to hear that the rest of your stay was of that caliber! Thank you again for your feedback and I hope our paths cross again in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I am usually not hard to please, but there were some definite drawbacks to this venue. The positive first. Beautiful location. Good, not great ok golf course. Very friendly staff to meet the guests. Well appointed room for those staying for a long period of time. The negatives: our room could not have been further from the lobby...three long sections of hotel away; one formal dining facility to serve over 350 rooms and of course no one told us when we booked that it would be full on a Sunday evening so we never got inside; confusion over golf reservation...we were to be paired with another couple, but they either didn't show or wanted to play alone...and we were behind a very slow twosome who wouldn't let us play through or join them even though the Marshall asked them to do so. Fortunately we were only there one night and we did find a great restaurant in Cle Elum for dinner and another in Roslyn for breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask to be near the lobby or at least close to the elevator
Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ginny S
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We booked for 6 families for Aug 30 2014 for 2 nights but we wanted to change it to 1 night and the hotel management won't let us do that. They said that they can't accommodate us for 1 night on Aug 30th Saturday but can for 1 night on Friday or Sunday! How lame! They are OK in us canceling our reservations completely rather than give us 1 night on Saturday. They mentioned they can handle 6 families checking in at one time on Saturday night given it is the long weekend. How do they handle so many guests in their resort if they can't handle 6 families checking in at the same time. Management needs to change else such a beautiful resort will get a bad name.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ritu V

Dear Ritu V,

Thank you for your feedback on your reservations experience with us. We were so glad we were able to accomodate your family during your stay and we truly hope your stay with us is a wonderful experience.

I hope to get the opportunity to be able to meet you during your time here.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

The room was awesome, the views were great. The service was average, meaning not bad service at all but there was not any over the top "wow" factors. same for the dining experience, average food with a premium price. Nothing to complain about just not real memorable either.

The golf courses were nice.

I would stay there again if I was passing through, but for me, it was not a destination location.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the mountains
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Scott S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback and glad to hear that the views of the Cle Elum River Valley and great rooms ensured you had a great stay with us. In addition to the views and rooms at Suncadia, there is truly something for everyone. We hope on your next visit through we can introduce you to the world-class Glade Spring Spa, take a ride down one of the Waterslides at the Swim and Fitnesss Center, golf on 36 holes of Championship golf courses or enjoy a bike ride around one of the miles of trails within Suncadia.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Two different stays same result. Let's start with this is not my first visit to Suncadia. They had been sending me invitation after invitation for the past five years. My career as a meeting planner has brought me many invitations to see what a property can offer. I finally gave in and went with the question in mind, "What do you do in Cle Elum/Roslyn?" So my best friend and I decided to take a road trip and check it out before we bring our husbands out to the middle of no where or I recommend it to my contacts. A glance at the website convinced us the spa could be worth the trip. We went to relax.

Short version: I do not recommend Suncadia at this time. The head of housekeeping should be ashamed, probably demoted and retrained. Staff uninformed and untrained. Rooms unsanitary, unacceptable. Corporate evasive. General Manager, no contact. Would I recommend this place. NO! That was one of the worst stays I have ever had. If you want to know more read on. This is only a synopsis of what all happened.

Upon first impression, it was a beautiful secret. Rolling hills, hiking trails, 1,000 steps to the river hike, biking, scooters, horse back riding just down the road, river rafting, golf, (lots of golf), a winery, a spa, and a swim center with a couple of water slides. (Lots available not much included: most comes at a very steep additional price. PS almost everything closes at 7pm.) No one will tell you how to get anywhere or do anything you want to do. Very confusing, again most staff complacent and untrained.

Lodging is available in several choices from a hotel room, a condo style room with kitchen, suites, studios, even rental houses. Then, there is my personal favorite the Inn. (Small, romantic, quiet..around 20 rooms - But, the restaurant and golf course at the Inn are closed on Wednesday). No one tells you that at the time of reservations. OK I am not here to golf any way, and there are other places to eat. We can live with this.

Let's try to shorten this and make it informative at the same time. Things did not go well. Most of the spa amenities - Out of Order. Mineral baths- cold. We were given passes for the next day - still broken. In the steam room - overheard we were being over charged by about $150.00 per day. Got apology and free bicycle rentals. $50 food credit. Not enough for even one meal at the Lodge.

Room had a lovely view of the parking lot. Had them move us to the golf course side. Loved the room, and view. Even had rocking chairs on the balcony. Now is where it goes further downhill. The beds looked messy like someone had been sitting on them or something. Let it go and went to find out about the resort.

The meeting planner in me checked out the meeting space at Lodge. Two separate venues the Lodge and the winery. Nice ample for large or small groups. Went to get info. The Lodge was a Zoo! Guests and convention goers all in the same lobby area. Hard to move about. Loud, so loud you could not hear each other in the lobby to get answers to any questions. Concierge no where to be found, morning, noon, or early evening. Asked the coffee shop about Suncadia, No answers. Asked our waitress about Suncadia, no answers. Asked the spa about Suncadia, No answers. Asked morning desk clerk, nothing. Could not get anyone to give me information on Suncadia, its amenities, nothing. No one I asked seemed to know much of anything about this place.

Found the winery. Loved it. The food was good, the service was good. Had a wine flight (Sampler) of the reds and finally relaxed. To make a very long two day story as short as possible. We left Suncadia disappointed but invited to come back and try again. Promised it would go better next time. Bill somewhat adjusted to compensate and a side amenity. OK.

Seldom do I ever return for more punishment, but was intrigued by all that they had to offer, and had hope. Weather is much better in Eastern Washington than in Western Washington. Took my husband back to the quaint, and peaceful Inn at Suncadia. People with children, sleep at the lodge, the pool and most of the food is there. The Inn mostly for adults who play golf and go to the bar. Could, some day, be perfect for a quiet romantic getaway. We went on a Monday - Tuesday (things should be slow we can get answers and maybe a tour)

Made sure the room faced the golf course. Clean until we looked at the bed. I felt like the three bears. "Who has been sleeping in my bed?" I again sort of overlooked it. We wanted to discover Suncadia. Hot out, my husband took off his dark blue shirt, put it on the shelf on the nightstand. Took a shower. When he went to put it back on, it was covered in dirt, dust, we are not sure what.. Yuck! Got ready to find lunch. There was a toothpick on the bathroom floor from a previous guest. Yuck! That is when I noticed the dirt and muck on the wide trim next to the tooth pick! The corners with filled with dirt, pieces of plastic and ???? Double yuck! Did not pick it up left it there as a test. Two days the toothpick remained on the floor. Not sure when or if the bathroom floors are ever cleaned??? A bulb was out next to the mirror making it hard to see.

We got ready went down stairs and told the front desk what was wrong with our room. Went to find lunch. Gone a couple of hours, back in the room, bulb still out and bed still looks odd, toothpick still there. Talked to desk again. Nothing, Called housekeeping, nothing. Told four different people who could do something about it. Got no response.

Went to the winery for dinner. Again loved it. Same experience food and service great. Atmosphere awesome. Too bad that does not carry over to the rest of Suncadia. They are a separate entity on the Suncadia property. Sort of explains why.

10pm hot cookies and milk. Danny at the front desk, a five star host trying to make our experience wonderful. He is the best part of what is Suncadia. We decided about 10:40pm to go to sleep. Pulled back our covers. No mattress pads on bed. How do I know that? The sheets came off when we pulled back the covers. Sheets not really on the bed just sort of thrown around and tucked in. Called the front desk. Felt bad for Danny, as he was unaware. He checked another room same problem. Had someone else come in from the LODGE Housekeeping Dept. He was to remake bed. Still no mattress pad. Romantic place, "What keeps the last guest's romance off of us?" Unacceptable.

This guys from the Lodge. Just as bad. Has no one taught these people how to make a bed? Bed still a mess, sheets still not on it right. Still no mattress pad and we are told they have none. 11:30pm tired and frustrated, I Finally I make my own bed so we could try to sleep. Unacceptable. Bad night. First thing in morning went to continental breakfast. Very continental 9am already out of coffee, fruit plate empty. A couple of bagels left. Oh and fruit loops and a variety of boxed cereal. Yuck and unhealthy.

Went to find a manager. Awe got one, wrong one, not part of the problem, ran the restaurant. She tried to reassure me and explain the problem away. Can not explain no mattress pads away. Called the desk again, left message for head of housekeeping. No return call. Waited in our room until 2:30pm. Still no contact. Went back to winery. Feeling better.

Came back, oh a knock on door, a tray of cookies and chocolate for an apology. Are you kidding me? Bed still a mess. We left trying to give them a chance to fix things with out us hovering.

Called Corporate, tying to discover if there are standards that Destination Hotels set. Got the run around and no answers from corporate either. They just wanted to know where I was staying.

Manager mysteriously decides to call. Tells me sorry about that. A short and curt apology. By now I am pretty angry, but still hold my temper. Just tell her I think it is a training problem and it needs to be fixed. (Side note: I began in the hospitality business in housekeeping. I already know the standards for a good, sanitary, hotel room. Have plenty of experience.) That is when I refused to pay the "RESORT FEES" and ask for reasonable credits and compensation for a unacceptable stay. Was told it would be provided.

Returned to room a couple hours later. Bed finally made and a mattress pad magically appeared on it. The apology was unsatisfactory and we were only partially compensated for our trouble. Again, unacceptable.

On a bright note: Danny our night host was the best part of Suncadia. As a front desk host and initial point of contact he is great. Someone please fire a few people, and promote that young man. He did all he could and was wonderful. This young man will be a great GM some day.

Summing it up will I recommend Suncadia at this time?. NO! I am told they will remodel the Inn soon. A remodel is not the problem. It is a lovely property as is. The management needs to be ashamed of themselves for neglecting their responsibilities and their guests. This place could be wonderful. Guests would flock to it and there would be little to nothing to complain about if management were better and staff better trained. All the fixes are easy and inexpensive. Suncadia appears to unwilling to change because them don't have to. You will not get what you paid for here until someone wakes up and changes things. Until I suggest you stay away.

If they make some major staff changes, I might consider one more chance. Again I remain intrigued by what it could be. I did see that upon check out there were about 9 housekeepers at the Inn and mattress pads being put on the beds. If nothing else I may have saved someone else a bad nights sleep and some health issues. I hope so. They removed the resort fees from my bill and gave me a $50.00 credit. Compensation for our trouble: Unacceptable.

Room Tip: Families if you like loud choose the lodge. If not rent a house, cook your own food no place for ki...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
#6 of 7 in Cle Elum
Cle Elum Travelers Inn
Cle Elum Travelers Inn
#7 of 7 in Cle Elum

Been to Suncadia Resort? Share your experiences!