“Good value with excellent bistro”
Review of Arkaba Hotel

Arkaba Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fullarton
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Bit out of city center, but easy to find. Large complex with many pokie machines and live music.
Had room 404 was very quiet and clean. Probably been refurbished over the last few years. Large LCD TV wall mounted easy to operate remote!!
Reception bit hard to find.
Next to a small shopping center with Woolworths. A few other food outlets in walking distance.
Paid $69/night Bookings.com special. Will stay again if below $110/night.

Room Tip: Could be noisy with advertised frequent live music. Some rooms on 1st floor - same as entertainment...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
JRH2010, Owner at Arkaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Thank you for your review - We are currently renovating all our standard rooms - will be completed late this year. We might not be able to do the $69 deals again - I am sorry
Top of the Ark is a large function room and has occasional live bands - we do have security to manage any car park noise - We very rarely have complaints
We have changed our Tavern Bar entertainment to a Piano Bar with a fine wine offer and our all new Sportys Bar has live sport and entertainment.
I believe we are the best hotel in South Australia - I might be biased!!!

Reviewed 15 May 2012

Rooms are very clean and comfortable. The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful.
The down side--(this might be true of many hotels in australia) the internet is expensive. Also it counts Mega bites used. My account used about 200 mega whilst the computer was unplugged at night,
Also a fridge in the room (a de luxe room) would have been a help.
All in all though a nice hotel

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Stayed for a conference - facilities very good for meetings
Staff very friendly and helpful
Rooms immaculate and clean
Restaurant food excellent - great choices on menu and best of all the full menu is available til 10pm
Breakfast staff cheerful and helpful

Room Tip: Loved the luxury room
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JSmithfield83
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed in this hotel for two nights as was attending a wedding nearby. I booked the hotel after reading generally positive reviews on the booking site. It was listed as a 4-star hotel, which I find really misleading, it really shouldn't be rated higher than a 3-star, and that on a good day.

On the positive side, the rooms were clean, staff seemed generally friendly, and the food at the restaurant was ok. Note I did not experience the rudeness of the staff that I have seen mentioned in other reviews.

On the less positive side. the place is dated, the room looked like it was furnished in the eighties, and nothing had been updated since then, except for the flat panel TV. Furniture was worn, paint was scuffed on doors and walls, carpets worn, shower was old (and an annoying fixed one reaching only at shoulder height). The air conditioning distributed a distinct scent of urine when I first used it, albeit it got better later. There is also a nightclub on the premises, which seems frequented by middle aged drunken women, and you are likely to get bothered by this clientele when passing the lobby area in late evening trying to reach your room. Last the lobby area has a large slot machine section which makes the place feel really tacky.

What really broke the camel's back for me was the Internet service. There is no WiFi signal reaching the rooms and nothing wired. There was so-called 'free' Internet in the lobby area, but all you would get was 15 minutes / 10 MB, which is completely useless. After the 15 min period they wanted to charge AUD 40/day or AUD 2.50/30mins. I complained about this at the reception, and was given a free voucher for the Internet. While I appreciate this, I find it highly disgusting that they try to charge such extortionate rates for Internet, and those who don't stand up to it will get abused at those rates. Sorry, but this is 2012, Internet is a basic amenity.

Conclusion: There really isn't much to excite about this hotel. If you need a room in this general area of Adelaide, it sorta works. For exploring the city, luxury, a holiday, or pretty much anything else, you are way better off going elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank jsorensen
JRH2010, Owner at Arkaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2012

I have noted your review and would like to respond
I do apologise if you were not happy with your stay at the Ark
The room you stayed in would have been a standard room which are 3 ½ star rooms. These rooms I agree are in need of refurbishment - we are commencing on these rooms next week. The rest of our rooms were built in 2000 or refurbished last year and have great décor and internet connection.
I will follow up on our Standard room showers – hopefully we can resolve this problem.
The standard rooms at the Ark were built in the 60s and we have great difficultly in wiring. Unfortunately we contracted our internet to a company that is not WiFi and are unable to install to our Standard rooms
We are intending to address this issue.

Please if you return – check out our Deluxe rooms – great value

Reviewed 15 February 2012

We spend a lovely weekend, the rooms were right for the price we pay, the food in the retaurant was aslo enjoyable and I found wine very affordable comparing to Melbourne.
Most of the staff was friendly and proffesional with the excemption of one receptionist that ask me for a bond of 100 dollars for my second night.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are noise due to the traffic
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
JRH2010, Owner at Arkaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank you for your review – We have a stunning new breakfast menu now – so next time you stay!!!
Sadly we do have to ask for a bond if we don’t have a credit card imprint.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Staying at the Arkaba Hotel was a brilliant experience from the moment we arrived. Every staff member we dealt with was professional, approachable and more than willing to go the extra mile to provide us with the best possible experience.
The bistro and bars are well set out, which gave us the options to enjoy a drink or two in either of the bar areas before dining. The food quality is second to none, which inclines me to return for a meal, whether the 'Ark' was our accommodation or not!
I will definitely return to the Arkaba whenever I am in Adelaide, and we will recommend others to do the same.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We attended the restaurant for dinner last week. The surroundings are dated and dirty. The wait staff are poorly trained. The prices are expensive for what you get. The food is terrible. My husband had the seafood plate - he didnt eat the oysters as they didn't smell fresh. He ate the rest (very small serve) and did to enjoy any of it and was still hungry after his meal. I had a chicken snitzel and chips , again portion size was small with not enough chips and nothing special. We will not be attending this restaurant again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank angelah321
JRH2010, Owner at Arkaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2012

I do apologise if you had a bad dining experience at the Arkaba.
We have unfortunately had some challenges, on occasions, over the last few months.
We hope we have resolved all issues as we have a new Chef, who did his apprenticeship with our group in the 80’s and we are very excited he has come back to join us.

I am disturbed you found the Ark dirty as our housekeeping staff are fastidious in their efforts but we will continue to be vigilant.

Finding the Arkaba dated is difficult – the building is an iconic one in Adelaide – built as it was in the 60’s a unique dodecahedron (12 sides) with red brick and timber and during our 20 year tenure at the Ark we have constantly ungraded and renovated, all the while trying not to interfere with the architectural integrity of the building.

If you are in Adelaide again please call either Leanne / Jenny / Brooke – we would love to show you a better experience

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fullarton
Majestic Roof Garden Hotel
#27 of 56 in Adelaide
Mayfair Hotel
Mayfair Hotel
#1 of 56 in Adelaide

Been to Arkaba Hotel? Share your experiences!