“Just what I needed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Concrete
Ovenell's Heritage Inn
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed at Ovenell's twice recently, at both the start and the end of my tent camping and hiking trip to Washington with my husband. The first night, I had the Woodsman cabin, and the other night, the Fisherman. Both were perfectly clean and thoughtfully stocked, even with toys and stuffed animals for families with children. For me, a tent camper, the cabins were absolute luxury. It was the perfect place to organize my gear, get a hot shower, sleep in a good bed, and enjoy the quiet, peaceful setting. I also enjoyed having the kitchen area, which includes among other items a microwave and a kitchen table.

It was easy to find the main house and the cabins from the directions I received from Ovenell's staff and from the signs along Highway 20. What a lovely setting - the farm is located in a beautiful, lush valley, with the heavily-forested mountains all around.

Ovenell's was perfect for me, and I would definitely stay there again. I loved it. I would request the Woodsman cabin because I found the mattress to be a bit more firm and level than the one in the Fisherman cabin.

If I have anything to recommend to them, it would be only to add some room darkening curtains to the miniblinds on the windows; northern Washington gets a great deal of daylight during the summer, and it was tough to fall asleep in that very long and very late twilight.

Overall, it was great, and I look forward to returning someday.

Room Tip: I prefer a firm mattress, so I would go to the Woodsman cabin again. The mattress suited me. It al...
2  Thank ZipW

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I chose this little place based on other reviews, and the fact that there is little else out here. We stayed 3 nights, and could have happily stayed longer. It was such a pleasant surprise when we pulled in. The owners have thought of everything you could possibly need to make your stay comfortable. My party of 5 stayed in the Foreman cabin - 3 adults and 2 kids aged 11 and 9. There are fire pits, bbq's, outdoor seating and eating areas, a little playground, and nature as far as you can see. This is a working ranch, so you are surrounded by animals and fields (550acres I think). We had daily visits from deer, and the view of Mt Baker is stunning. The cabin was stocked with everything you could ever need to cook with - spices, pots, pans...ect. They also sell their own farm raised beef that is amazing, I would recommend BBQ'ing and having some of their steak. Housekeeping was fantastic, bed was very comfortable, and the place was so clean! The cabins are about an hour and a half from the Cascade Pass trailhead, and only about 40 minutes from Baker Lake. Great location and outstanding service. We will certainly be back!

Room Tip: Foreman cabin - one bedroom plus futon in living room, they added a cot for 5th person. It was a ti...
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I was so impressed with the cleanliness and details of our Wrangler cabin. We reserved the last cabin for a Friday night, which happened to be a pet-friendly one. The innkeeper assured me that I would not be able to tell that a pet had ever stayed in our cabin, and she was absolutely correct! The cabin was spotlessly clean and the accommodation details were great. The kitchenette was nicely equipped despite it's small size. The bed was comfortable, and the shower was great. The comfortable chairs on the veranda were also really nice.
On top of this, the location is great, close to some great hikes, but pretty convenient to Highway 20, and offering scenic views.
The innkeeper was also friendly and helpful. All-in-all Ovenell's exceeded my expectations and I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I recently completed a four-night stay here with my wife, 5-year old and 7-year old daughters. We stayed in the Wrangler cabin. The location is excellent, close to WA-20 which runs east to Newhalem, Diablo and Ross Lake National Recreation Area. To the north is Baker Lake and Mount Baker. Ovenell's is a great base camp if you plan on spending times in both locations.

The cabin was nice, with a firm queen sized bed in the bedroom and a futon in the living area. Flatware and dishware along with a variety of utensils were provided. A small TV, DVD player and VCR were on hand along with microwave, toaster over and range. a children's playground is located across from the cabins along with a covered picnic area. The cabin had everything we needed, but was a little cramped.

We could see mountaintops to the south, however, we had to walk around the property to get a view of Mount Baker.

My favorite part of the property is the small beach on the Skagit River. This looks like it would be a good place to swim, fish or picnic. We just waded and the kids played in the sand.

The property owner, Eleanor, is an older, charming woman who will talk to you all day if you give her the chance. There was some confusion about our rate which she cleared up right away. She is not a big fan of e-mail though. Our reservation was actually physically mailed to us.

Overall, this is a good place to stay for couples and small families looking to just relax or explore the parks. The property is nice enough as is, to just hang out there for a day or two and relax.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed at Ovenell's because the options are very sparse near the Cascade Pass. If you are hiking the North Cascades, this Inn is a good option. The North Cascades National Park is very remote and you really don't have hotel or lodge options like other National Parks. The Inn has both cabins and bed and breakfast styled rooms. We stayed in the Foreman cabin. We hiked Mt. Sauk, which was very close to Ovenell's. We left early the next morning and drove to the North Cascades. The cabin was nice and very clean. If you want breakfast from the owner, you need to inform her early. The Innkeeper was very pleasant and handled all of the reservations by phone. Great view of Mt. Baker.

Room Tip: I would suggest one of the cabins as opposed to staying at the main inn.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chad B
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The view of Mt Baker almost makes it worth staying here by itself. The cabin we had was adequately comfortable to get a good night sleep, but very dated. There were lots of toys and games and the place seems to be designed for family stays of several days or more. We did not have much interaction with the staff, but they were very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank D T
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My wife and I stayed over night before going on a Skagit Eagle watching trip on September 12th. We stayed in the "Fishermans cabin" it is a very nice one room plus bath. The property is great right on the Skagit River, it has 500 plus acres of trail walks. The family that owns Ovenell's is very nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Snydershandy

Been to Ovenell's Heritage Inn? Share your experiences!