“$10 for 5 minutes”

Columbia Hills State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Horsethief Lake attracts fishing and camping enthusiasts primarily, but anyone interested in beautiful scenery will enjoy the park and nearby Celilo Falls just as much.
Reviewed 25 July 2013

You have to pay $10 to park; we didn't -- just cruised in our our motorcycles -- Just to see the Native American art. Not a lot of shade and too expensive for 4 people on bikes for a quick look-see.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

An oasis of green, clean, and the non-mean. Now Columbia Hills State Park, this gem has great water access, full service camping, tent camping, picnic area, clean facilities, and the best hosts around.

Take a hike to Horsethief Butte for great trails, big cliffs, rock-climber watching, and scenery galore.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Good rest stop for travelers. Can park for 15 minutes before you might get badgered for a Discovery pass. The petrographs are at the end of the road just above the river on right had side.

1  Thank 87Alfa
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Been to Horsethief park several times. It's on the Wa side of the river about 10 minutes from The Dalles. Camping and day use areas with good restrooms. There is a minimal day use fee. Petroglyphs are visible without a guide but you will need a guide for some of them (see poster). The park goes right down to the water and while there's no awesome beach, there's a couple places to get in. Boat ramp is down by the petroglyphs (straight down the hill). We've used this for a company picnic and all went well. Abundant shade from many large trees.

6  Thank Eyegun
Reviewed 4 September 2012

After a bit of nudging to get out of bed at 4:30 AM by my sister, and finally compromising with "just wear your pajamas!" my nephew and I snuggled into the backseat for the drive to Horsethief park. I had no idea what I was in for...
Arriving just as the sun was barely peaking over the mountains, my jaw dropped a few inches as I took in the ancient art. Stepping out of the car, I was immersed in the energy of the land and the many spirits that moved through me. I felt the distant drumbeat from the mountains and the presence of the Native American tribes .
Mesmerized by the art, trying to decipher it's meaning in my mind, 'my take so to speak' I felt guided by spirit, and drawn into each plaque's message.
As the sun rose around us, the images deepened and so to their energy's...

5  Thank noire48