“More than wine- Say Cheese!”

Monteillet Fromagerie - Day Course
Port Angeles
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“More than wine- Say Cheese!”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

On our wine tour of Eastern Washington it wasn't just the wine that rose to the top.... it was the cheese! The effervescent Joan and her handsome frenchie Pierre-Louis are a most phenomenal couple. Looking for a place to stay on our tour to the Walla Walla wine Country we stumbled onto the offering of a La Maison..... an adorable cottage in Walla Walla just a walk away from down town. We discovered that the owners are cheese makers extrodinaire and drove to Dayton for the cheese tasting experience. What Fun, and what a palate delight! Next time we will plan to stay at The Gite for a farm stay and the 2 day cheese making class!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Beachbarbpv

College Place, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Wonderful cheese experience!!!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Have heard nothing but good things about this place and was definitely not disappointed! I moved to walla walla about 9 months ago and finally made it out to Monteillet when my sister and friend came out to visit for the first time. My sister LOVES cheese but is lactose intolerant and cannot consume cow cheeses. Luckily, she can eat sheep and goats milk cheeses, so she was ecstatic to come here and actually be able to taste each and every cheese served! We showed up just after opening, probably around 12:20 (opening is at noon), and Joan was just coming in and setting up. She's a very eclectic woman with a fun personality and very positive energy, though she was slightly discombobulated. Probably just from running a little behind. We sat at the tasting bar, inside the rather small tasting room, and happily waited for her to get ready. There were the 3 of us girls and another couple who came in about the same time that we did. The 5 of us fit at the tasting bar perfectly. There is another area of seating along the wall, but it is separate from where we were sitting and noticed a very different experience to those who came in later and could not sit up at the bar we were at, being directly in front of Joan. We got taken through the tasting, cheese by cheese, with explanation of how each are made, freshly sliced delicious apples, and a variety of herbs to sprinkle on our first cheese (to compare with or without bc it is a very mild cheese). Progressively, the cheeses do get stronger. We were invited to taste as much as we wanted of any of the cheeses. We also had wine with our tasting and she was generous with our pours. The tasting is $10 and $5 addt for each glass of wine. The people sitting at the bar opposite of us, simply got plates with each cheese on them and the plate handed to them. Not the same explanation and experience I felt we received sitting with Joan. Something I will definitely remember when bringing other people there in the future. We bought cheese to take home, and no, the tasting fee is not refunded with purchase, but I didn't expect it to be. My mother in law is coming into town in a coupe of weeks to visit, and I will definitely be taking her to Monteillet!

Visited September 2013
Sequim, Washington, United States
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“People!!....This is an Experience, not Costco Grazing (free samples)”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My husband and I traveled from Sequim to Prosser for a weeks stay in Washington Wine Country. For months I have talked about going to Monteillet Fromagerie in Dayton to see the farm and experience the wine and cheese. Joan was away for the afternoon but Pierre-Louis graciously showed us the farm, the day-to-day operation and then joined us in a wonderful conversation while serving us wine and cheese. Joan and Pierre-Louis work hard to earn a living doing what they love and it shows. Artisan cheese is expensive and you get what you pay for. The cheese was outstanding; every one of them. Next time we'll stay in their rental. This was a fabulous experience.

Visited October 2013
Seattle, Washington
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Do not plan on this place!”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My family loves goat cheese and really looked forward to including this stop in our vacation plans. I called 3 weeks ahead to arrange our visit and was told to call a week before, which I did and set a time with Joan. I called Joan again 1/2 hour ahead of our arrivial but, when we drove in no one was there. We waited outside for 45 minutes before calling again. A man explained that he did not know we were coming, his wife was in town and that they were very busy people! He rushed to open his store but he would not even offer us a paid tasting. My grandchildren did not get to see the goats or the sheep and he seemed thouroughly bothered by our coming! We wasted a half day of our precious vacation time on this trap.

Visited September 2013
Bellevue, WA
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Pricey Cheese Place”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We paid $20 ($10 per person) for the cheese tasting and then purchased some cheese that we liked. The "tastings" covered 6 different cheeses of increasing potency, but the portions were very small -- somewhere between a crumb and a small sliver. A couple of the cheeses were excellent; but others were not that special. The tasting fee was not applied to the price of our purchase. The cheese is good but it can be purchased at the weekend Walla Walla Farmers Market without paying the exorbitant initiation fee. Do not drive the 70 miles round trip from Walla Walla to visit this place.

Visited June 2013