“Rustic and relaxing” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Deer Harbor
Mill Creek, Washington
“Rustic and relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

Our daughter bought a stay via "Living Social" and gave it to us for my wife's birthday present. The Living Social description gave us one set of expectations but reality gave us another. At first glace we thought we wouldn't like it because it is very plain and far away from main centers on Orcas Island. However once we started looking around we found that we liked it more and more. It's rustic, it's far away from any sort of busy life, it's way out in the country and it didn't take long to appreciate that. It's an easy drive to the town of Eastsound which is a typical island touristy sort of town with lots of little shops to browse in. If you stay in the lodge don't expect a TV in your room, there's only a small 19" tube tv on the 2nd floor for everyone to share. And share they will because the rooms don't have any sound insulation at all. But the rooms have a very nice electric faux fireplace, a large comfy bed, good sized bathroom. Treats were left out on the dresser for us, 2 box lunches with great smoked salmon, trail mix, apples, water and a few small chocolates. A nice bottle of wine plus some cheese and crackers were a nice touch. There was also a small breakfast basket with bananas, blueberry muffins, orange juice. We didn't try the restaurant or spa but heard very good reviews from other guests.

If you want fancy, up to date resort type of place with all the bells and whistles then this isn't your kind of place. But if you're looking for somewhere rustic, relaxing, and a great place to get away from it all you won't be disappointed. We'll be back!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Bellevue, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

I purchased a groupon and the second night at the same rate for low season - $69 a night, sounded like a good deal (November 2010)! I purchased this to enjoy for my birthday weekend with my boyfriend. Unfortunately for me, he ended up being a selfish tool and we broke up just days before the trip was scheduled. I called the owner and pleaded my case to reschedule the booking. She said sure, but you should have an alternate date. I didn't have an alternate date because I was distraught. She said ok, but please let me know when you do. Meanwhile, my groupon still shows intact. Fast forward to this year September 2011. Now the owner says I can't use the groupon or the second night I purchased so it ends up I gave them $150 to keep their business going and I get nothing. I'm not vengeful, so I'm not going to makeup stories here, but I deserved to be worked with and given the opportunity to reschedule. Now why would I ever recommend anyone staying at their hotel?? Bad decision.

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank L K
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

I stayed at the Deer Harbor Inn for four nights after seeing a coupon special online. I've know people who have stayed there during the off-season in the cabins and have enjoyed both the cabins and the restaurant. Unfortunately, I stayed in the main building which was anything but quiet. I had a second floor, corner room, but could still hear nearly every word spoken by the 30s something couple earnestly discussing the issues of their relationship. The inn is located on the main road to Deer Harbor, so the motorcycles roared by at regular intervals. There was a hot tub, but it is located next to the gravel parking lot and not very attractive. The breakfast does feature muffins, but they are left by the afternoon maid and sweat in their little plastic bags until the next morning. The vending machine- variety granola bars that were also offered weren't so great. The gal at the front desk was abrupt with me when I called to ask questions about the details of the coupon deal. My sense is that the owners are suffering in this economy and stressed about having to offer a coupon deal during the hi season.

• Stayed August 2011
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

The place wasn't the easiest to find but locals helped us find it. Very cozy room and is relaxing. Enjoyed the hot tub and restaurant next door. Orcas island has some great cooks and artists. Check out the shopping and sites. I look forward to my next trip there.

• Stayed September 2011
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

I stayed here with my spouse and brother and his wife in August, 2011. I booked this hotel as part of a Travelzoo promotion package. We stayed in the lodge and each had corner rooms with nice water views. The rooms were small but very clean and modern. The bathroom contained a small refrigerator which was a nice amenity. There was not a tub, only a shower, but it was fine. The bed was very comfortable. The lopdge contained a very nice sitting area as well as deck for enjoying the view. Upon check in, there was a picnic basket of food for breakfast since the property does not serve breakfast. There was one computer in the lobby which worked fine as well as a telephone which was good since no one in our group had cell phone service. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant. The food was just ok for the price and the meat portions (ribs and salmon) were extremely small. For our group of four, we were only given a very small salad bowl for all of us. The property was very nice and I would definately recommend this hotel although I would not recommend the restaurant. Note that they do begin cleaning the rooms at about 9:00 am which is not condusive to those guests who want to sleep in.

1 Thank JenniferJK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

Unfortunately, this wasn't the place for us. The man who checked us in was very friendly, but the room wasn't worth the price. We were woken constantly by the people upstairs who were restless each morning around 4:00 am. Footsteps and dresser drawers closing could easily be heard. The shower was laughable... barely a trickle came out. The breakfast baskets would've been a nice gesture had the muffins been edible and the bananas not brown.

The good news: Room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Emily S
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed in the lodge. I was expecting a cabin, not a "quaint" hotel room. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast basket was cute (small bottles of OJ, two bananas, two small muffins, and two granola bars). Unfortunately, we could hear our neighbor snore. This is not a good place for the late riser, sleeping in is impossible with the noise in the lodge. I am not sure if there is a water pressure problem always (if there is high demand by multiple people showering) or if something broke, but the shower head oscillated between just dribbling out and clearing the head by an inch or two; needless to say, showering was difficult – my husband decided to skip it altogether.

Although this has nothing to do with the lodge, travelers should be warned about the ferry. It is a huge pain in both directions and makes a one night stay on the island NOT WORTH IT, at least in the summer when you have to get to the ferry two hours in advance to ensure that you don’t have to wait another four hours for the next ferry. We spent more time dealing with ferry travel than we did on the island!

1 Thank Laura S
#3 of 10 in Friday Harbor
The Orca Inn
The Orca Inn
#10 of 10 in Friday Harbor

Been to Deer Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!