Deer Harbor Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Pebble Cove Farm(Orcas Island)
  • Restaurant
West Beach Resort(Eastsound)
  • Free Internet
Lonesome Cove Resort(San Juan Island)
  • Beachfront
Heartwood House(Orcas Island)
View Hotel
Friday Harbor House(Friday Harbor)
View Hotel
All reviewshot tubelectric fireplaceorchard cottageyogurtorcas islandleave the keyextra towelslog cabin lodgeonsite restaurantroom keycoffee makerthe room was nicetwo night staymini fridge in the roomprivate bathback porchdvd player
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We spent our anniversary here. We were looking for something low key and relaxing, which this was. We rented one of the cabins with a private hot tub. We had instructions to come into the office upon arrival to get the key but found the office locked. Another couple arrived shortly after and as we wondered what we were supposed to do someone showed up and explained they didn't know how the door got locked. We got settled in our room which was well equipped. Checked the hot tub and it was cold. When I told the manager, he said they probably just changed the water and it takes 24 hours to heat. So one day of our two day trip we didn't have use of the hot tub. When we went to use it the second day we found that they had not really cleaned the tub with scum accumulated around the edge. After cleaning that and getting into the tub I discovered more scum. Obviously the tub has not been maintained properly and there was no evidence of chemicals. We showered as soon as we got out of the tub! If we hadn't plan to use the tub, our stay would have been pleasant.

dhinn, Owner at Deer Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

The Deer Harbor Inn extends an apology for the faulty hot tub. The prior guest had turned the tub off and left the lid off overnight so it was cold but I did test the tub and it had the proper balance of sanitizer applied.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

the hotel was obviously once quite lovely. As others me tioned there is nobody running the place, or seemingly caring if you come or go. There is no cell service anyway. the phone in reception is disconnected and a key left in a basket. the vrounds and rooms are neglected.m the breakfast as basic as you can vet...a store boufht muffin, yogurt and a bottle of milk or juice IF they remember. the location is amazing, the room clean, the restaurant disorganized and overpriced. we never did find out how to check out so...just left.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank cowhorse1
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Deer Harbor Inn is a unique place to stay. We stayed for two nights, in one of the Log Cabin Lodge rooms, but never saw the people who run/own the place. When you arrive (between 4PM-9PM) all you do is go into the office and pick up a little bag, setting on a table, with your name on it. Inside the bag is the key to your room, maps of the island and two mints. We didn't know what to expect as there wasn't much info, about what amenities came with the room, on their website.
We brought breakfast stuff, ice chest and a hair dryer with us, but didn't need to. Every morning they provide two bowls of cereal, two bottles of milk, two bottles of orange juice, two hard boiled eggs, two English muffins, decaf and regular coffee, creamer, jam and butter.
In the room, though not mentioned on their website, is a small frig with freezer, a toaster, a coffee maker, hairdryer and flat screen TV. There is also an additional refrigerator in the common area both downstairs and upstairs.
The rooms themselves were very clean and the bed was very comfortable. All of the furniture is made of logs and goes well with the log cabin look of the building. The bathroom was very roomy with nice shower. They also provide shampoo, body wash and conditioner, soft absorbent towels, as well as a host of other bathroom amenities. For the ladies, the vanity is at least 6' long.
The upstairs rooms have a common outside deck that looks out over the property with a limited water view. WiFi is available at no cost. There is a restaurant on site. We spent our time on Orcas hiking in Moran State Park so we ate in East Sound on our way back due to the late hour. Friends of ours, that stayed at Deer Harbor the week after we did, ate at the restaurant and said that both the food and service were very good.
Overall, we were very pleased with the accommodations and would definitely stay there again and highly recommend it to others. I gave "service" 5 stars even though we never saw anyone that works there because the room was cleaned and new supplies and food, for the next day, were there when we returned at the end of the day.

Room Tip: Rooms 6 & 7 would be the two upstairs rooms, in the front. They would have a view towards the water from your bed and are a little larger than the two back rooms. Note: There are two "wild" resident rabbits which are fun to watch that you can almost walk up to.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David W
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Beautiful location walking distance from Deer Harbor and preserved nature area. Charming and rustic, the lodge where we stayed really captured that classic Pacific Northwest spirit, which I love. Amenities are basic but there was a hair dryer and mini fridge in the room, as well as a coffee maker and toaster and continental breakfast provided in a little basket, so cute! There were three rabbits that hung out outside our window almost the entire. The restaurant was unpretentious but high quality, with a live piano player playing jazz standards. The whole place had a very laid back and relaxing atmosphere. Enjoyed a stroll after our large meal and a dip in the hot tub before bed. A great place to get away for a few days, I wish we could have stayed longer. I will say that it's not for the high maintenance guest, it's fairly DIY, but the staff did efficiently assist me when I returned to search for my phone charger. I personally appreciated the autonomy.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful 4 night stay at the Deer Harbor Inn. We took advantage of the Travel Zoo offer and saved a ton of money by doing so. We stayed in Lodge room #2 which is on the ground floor of the lodge. I think the management has really taken guest comments into consideration because there were alot of small changes about the room that I read complaints about online. For example the fridges are now in the bedroom - not in the bathroom. We thought the bed was wonderfully comfortable and the grounds were so quiet. There were a couple families with kids, but they stayed in the cabins so we weren't bothered by them at all. I am a light sleeper and appreciated the white-noise machine! I slept with it on every night and slept like a baby. With the cool ocean air and wooded setting, it's really hard to not feel at peace here. We did hear people walking around above us, but that was mainly at night when people were getting ready for bed...and once we had the white-noise machine on we didn't hear anything. We did alot of sightseeing, so we were only in our room to sleep and eat breakfast. We didn't mind not seeing management since we were hardly even there. We didn't even get a chance to try the restaurant because we were too busy exploring other islands and hiking around Orcas. I would definitely stay here again, but my husband and I are nature geeks and fell in love with the orcas off of San Juan Island, so we might try to find a cheap place there if we ever come back. Honestly, we were very happy with our stay. If you're looking for round the clock 5 star hotel treatment, then go stay in some high rise in downtown Seattle, because that's not the point of coming out to the San Juan Islands. The islands are about reconnecting with nature and being with the ones you love.

PS Save some money by buying groceries at the Safeway in Anacortes before getting on the ferry. We ate a packed lunch everyday so we could splurge on dinner each night.

Room Tip: Upper level rooms probably have a better view, but we were happy with our lower level room.