“Perfect Honeymoon”
Review of Deer Harbor Inn

Deer Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Deer Harbor
Reviewed 7 September 2009

We stayed at the Deer Harbor Inn for our Honeymoon. The manager Ron took incredible care of us. We arrived and he gave us great tips about Orcas Island, recommend places to go and see. He also recommended places not to bother going to see. He happened to be involved with the community theater on the Island and invited us to a full dress rehearsal of a play that was opening that week. We got to go see this wonderful play, "Brilliant Traces" for free and felt very special. Over all this was an incredible trip and a great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 November 2008

We booked the room BECAUSE it had a private hot tub, but...
-Hot tub was broken. They didn't tell us the tub was broken for 9 hours and not until we tried to use it.
-They didn't have anything comparable to offer us, so they belittled us for even caring about the hot tub.
-They only offered to give us a bottle of wine for the disappointment.
-They lied to us about how soon they knew there was a problem and why.

In trying to resolve the problem, they were a textbook case in how not to treat customers: they gave us two different and conflicting reasons as to why there was a problem with the hot tub; misrepresented facts; and, were condescending and hostile. The experience was so bad that they ruined Orcas, which used to be a very special place to my husband and me.

I think one of the worst things about dealing with the owners on this problem was that at one point, they claimed to have given us wine and flowers as a gesture of apology. However, the wine and flowers in question had been arranged for in advance by husband as a surprise to me at check-in. It was one of the sweetest things my husband has done for me, and they totally undercut and cheapened it.

The place cost about $250 a night, with a two night minimum. The restaurant is good, but pricey. We paid in advance, and spent another $100 at the restaurant before we discovered the problem. The most that they were willing to do was: a free bottle of wine on day 2 or waive the two night minimum. In the slow season. They said they had nothing comparable to offer us. I spent five years in the hospitality industry, managing numerous locations in several cities. The industry standard is to inform your guests of problems immediately; arrange for something comparable; if you don't have it, you find another hotel that does and pay for them to stay at that hotel.

We finally agreed to half off the room price. We travel to Orcas frequently, and I will never dine or stay at this place again. Ever.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank TalullahDynasty
dhinn, owner at Deer Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2009

Our resort is on a remote island with no service agent for spa repair. At first I thought that the problem was heating the tub but later realized a parts problem was to blame. I offered wine and a discount and then gave the guest the second night free. I do not feel I was rude or disrespectful, only frustrated that I could not resolve the problem then and there. I feel that under the situation we did the best we could
Thanks Craig Carpenter

Reviewed 29 July 2008

The bluff cottage was a wonderful choice for us with lots of room for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. It's equipped with a king size bed and a folding futon bed perfect for the kids. Lots of DVD's, micro and frig for all our snacks. We loved the view of Deer Harbor and the jacuzzi right outside on the covered deck. I would definitely recommend this place for the ambiance and the fireplace was a great bonus.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 20 July 2008

We tried Deer Harbor Inn on a Sunday evening for a meal after a day of travel. We were seated promptly, and at a nice table on the outdoor patio overlooking their garden. I ordered the Seafood Salad, hold the scallops and dressing on the side please, and my husband ordered the Smoked Salmon Fettucine. Hubby also ordered a beer, and it was properly served with a chilled glass - it would be the highlight of our meal.
A basket of bread arrived soon after we were seated, but it was inedible. Now, I am a bread baker and good bread is not difficult to make. These rolls lacked moisture and flavor - I took one bite and never ate any more - and I LOVE bread. Soup came next for me; the day's special was Tomato Basil, but it tasted like a cheap marinara sauce and was lukewarm. My husband's salad was tasty, and the lettuce was fresh, but not chilled or crisp.
On with the entrees...our waiter set my plate in front of me and the first thing I noticed was the presence of scallops on my salad. The waiter noticed at about the same time and said he would take care of it. The same salad returned having had the scallops removed. After a few bites, I found salad dressing on the salad. My guess is it had been dressed, then the mistake noted, and some additional greens put on top. No! A new salad should have been made.
My husband's pasta was uncooked (and he does like al dente, but not raw centers) and too little sauce for his liking. Seafood was of average quality.
Service was spotty, and the waiter seemed to only notice us when we called to him.
We would advise going to the Inn at Ship Bay for a good meal. You will spend the same money for a quality meal. Or for a quick bite, try the really delicious sandwiches from the Homegrown Market in Eastsound. Life is too short for bad food.

1  Thank zephyr14
#10 of 11 in Friday Harbor
Edenwild Boutique Inn
Edenwild Boutique Inn
#1 of 2 in Lopez Island

Been to Deer Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!