WorldMark Deer Harbor
Deer Harbor Inn(Deer Harbor)(Great Value!)
US$175
Travelocity
Orcas Hotel(Orcas)(Great Value!)
US$214
US$98
  • Restaurant
West Beach Resort(Eastsound)(Great Value!)
US$252
Lakedale Resort at Three Lakes(Friday Harbor)(Great Value!)
US$204
  • Free Internet
Friday Harbor House(Friday Harbor)
US$462
Priceline
The Island Inn at 123 West(Friday Harbor)(Great Value!)
US$199
Bird Rock Hotel(Friday Harbor)(Great Value!)
US$237
US$225
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Discovery Inn(Friday Harbor)(Great Value!)
US$153
Tucker House Inn(Friday Harbor)(Great Value!)
US$244
US$216
All reviewshot tub on the deckorcas islandwhale watchingquiet locationlaid backrosario resortunitmarinafireplaceferryporchsignalbunniesconstitutionmtdockdeer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Orcas Island is a quite little island. I don't recall even seeing a stop light. The commercial area is Eastsound and the rest of the island is spotted with little resorts and restaurants here and there.

The biggest problem with the island is that most of the shoreline is private property. You cannot walk along it. If you look on the map and drive towards the waters edge, quite often you will discover that you cannot actually reach it because it is privately owned or that the swath of shoreline which you can walk along is about 20ft between two private properties.

A summary of the ferry ride and the resort:

THE FERRY:
We took the Anacortes ferry to Orcas island on a Friday, We arrived 45 minutes before the sailing. It reached capacity and we had to wait an additional 3+ hours for the next sailing. The ferry returning (Sunday) we got there 2.5 hours before the sailing because it was either wait at the hotel or wait at the ferry, we opted for the ferry and we're able to catch it. I think I overheard someone arriving 1.5 hours before the sailing he said that he might miss it due to overcapacity.

THE RESORT:
We stay in the deluxe cottage. It was very clean and newly renovated. They still had the old tube tv and it was pretty tiny. Breakfast was decent, mostly bread products, with the except of hard boils eggs and apples. They have three individual barbecues just outside the office. As stated in other posts - they provide barbecuing utensils, plastic knives, forks, spoons, paper plates, paper bowls, tin foil and an ice machine. Hot coffee/tea is available at the office till 8pm.

The cottage amenities:
2 glass mugs, 2 wine glasses, 2 glasses (in the bathroom), wineopener, coffeemaker - with coffee pods and tea bags, flashlight, dish soap, 2 dishclothes, 1 fan, 2 bathrobes, bar soap and shampoo.

What I would recommend one could bring:
a roll of paper towel, hair conditioner, body lotion, serated (real) knives and a couple of forks (if you are planning to barbecue your own food).

Best cottages for view:
107, 109 - Marina view. No other cottages in front of you.
110, 111 - Marina view. Behind 107, 109 so there a little bit of obstruction.
105 - View of the other islands and a bit of the marina, also faces a bit of 107.
101 - peakaboo view of the islands, farthest away, most private
104 - no view (from what I can tell) faces the back of another cottage.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank HoleyShoes
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Ok, where to begin....First of all, Deer Harbor is probably the prettiest place on the entire island in my opinion. Loved waking up each morning looking at the marina, and mozeying down to the hotel lobby for good coffee and a (sub-par) breakfast. I stayed here 4 nights in September 2012 and experienced 3 different cabins. The Garden suite is pretty with two larger-sized rooms. I believe there is only one garden suite on the property. The historical cottages are clearly the worst on the property. The tv in this cottage is very small and painful on the eyes as it sometime from the 90's. The biggest problem with this property is that they don't provide daily housecleaning service. Not even a turn down service or emptying the garbage. When I asked the front desk what to do with my overflowing garbage in the room the lady told me to bring the can down to the lobby and empty it myself. 4 days straight of baby diapers and dirty towels from bathing and swimming, it would be nice to get even basic service. Also it was very cold in our room at night and the heater wasn't working well and I had forgotten to ask for another log for the fire, so one night we slept very cold. This would have been prevented if they restocked the firewood in the cabin. The historical suite (not to be confused with cottage) was nice and updated, however there should be a tv in the room. Many people have mentioned the lack of wifi or internet service, though this didn't bother me because I was looking to get away from that. All in all, the staff is very friendly but they are overworked and generally running around too busy. My room was probably about on par with a Motel 6 but there are better rooms on the property that I didn't stay in. I will most likely return to this place but only because its a beautiful location for kayaking.

Room Tip: Dont stay in the historical cottage!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AmazonTravelers
Reviewed 1 September 2012

First time to the island...We left the world behind and enjoyed the beauty and wonder. The accomodations are fantastic. Clean, updated, roomy and comfortable. As soon as we got into the room we turned the chairs from facing the fireplace to look out at the marina, we spent several hours a day just watching the boats. We stayed for a week. Highly reccomend bringing groceries for extended stays, there is only one little store and not a lot of options therein.

Room Tip: The updated cabins are fantastic. Ask for one with a good view of the marina.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LF2011
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I stayed in one of the older cabins called the historic cabins and although not as crisp and well0designed, it was snug and cozy and a perfect place to stay while on Orcas Island. It is nice to have your own place. A kitchenette would have been an even better addition but was the perfect way to spend the end of the summer vacation.

Room Tip: All of the cabins are located well but you might want to stay away from the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul N
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My wife, 5-year old daughter and I stayed here for 3 weeknights in late August 2012. Here's my quick rundown.
Good:
Price ($80/night) for 2-Bedroom (sleep up to 4)!, layout of cottage was nice (no bedroom wall with neighbor), clean, friendly staff, private clean hot tub, heated pool and quiet.
Not so good:
Breakfast (pretty generic and plastic food), housekeeping service (there was none; self-service trash disposal and towel changing), no internet or wifi except in Lobby.
Deer Harbor is quaint and has the island vibe where time slows down, but quite a drive to Moran State Park. The deer in Deer Harbor lived up to it's name. Saw about a dozen. We timed it right with ripe blackberries (picked and ate about 8 pounds). The kitchen consists of fridge, sink and microwave. I would go back here even at $110/night. $130 and I would look for a campsite in Moran.

Room Tip: They all seemed to be about the same. Maybe a slightly better view in the southern cottages. Bring fresh fruit to breakfast. The only fresh food available in late August when I'd expect more, were apples.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family