“Nice Getaway”

and 1 more site!
WorldMark Deer Harbor
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Deer Harbor
Reviewed 22 October 2012

If you're looking for a posh resort, you probably won't like this one. Think of a Best Western with a great view and a private hot tub for every room. While the room we stayed in showed some wear in terms of carpet and drapes, it was very clean and the bed was quite comfortable. The hot tub and view made up for the room's aesthetic shortcomings. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. If you want to unplug, this is a great place to do it. Wi-fi is only available in the lobby and cell service is spotty depending on your carrier. (You can pay a local company a daily rate to get wi-fi in your room.) We did this on a Groupon, so it was a good deal. I might have been less enthusiastic if I had paid full price.

2  Thank Pawlean

Reviewed 22 October 2012

As a first-time visitor to Orcas Island, I didn't know what to expect but the beauty and tranquility of the island blew me away. The Resort is in a good location with a wonderful view of the harbor, and it's really a really a collection of cabins that varied in price and quality. Started our stay in a Historical Cottage but were moved to an updated hill unit. The Historical Cottage was cozy and adequate, but after experiencing an updated room, I would have definitely booked it instead. I had tried to find out information on the different options, but the website only shows pictures of the really nice Deluxe Cottages. The quality of the more expensive units is dramatically different, so definitely go for the upgrade!

Loved the continental breakfast and that each cabin has its own hot tub! Would definitely stay there again and recommend it!

1  Thank megg210
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We like the privacy and quiet surrounding, as the condo units don’t have upstairs or downstairs neighbors. Both the front desk lady and the facility guy (Ethan) were wonderful. They offered to let us borrow sand toys when they noticed our toddler. We got great advice on local trails, fishing, dining etc. When our jet tub didn’t heat up quickly enough before we had to leave for our ferry ride (we turned it down too low the night before), Ethan rushed to bring a cart of buckets filled with hot water. We were very touched by his hard work. The resort is not far from ferry landing. I wish it’s closer to the state park but we are not here for exhausting hikes anyway. Our kid enjoyed the few times we saw deer around the resort and on local trails (esp. around the fruit trees).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MJ S
Reviewed 4 October 2012

My husband and I went on our 7th anniversary, we were awaited by Craig, the owner, who encouraged us to go apple picking with a basket he handed us, with the trees, over 100 years old in the middle of the resort. bunnies, deer and a house-cat were regulars. The cabin, quaint, clean, and stocked with a beautiful breakfast in a picnic basket each morning. The dinners served at the resturant, were top notch...could'nt compete with the best of Seattle's dining. Tranquil, quiet, beautiful view of the sound, A vacation stay we simply shall never forget...and remember the beauty of the island, the people, and the hospitality. What a wonderful family, that works in harmony to provide such a lovely time for us. We say, thanks from the bottom of our hearts. We hope to return again.

Room Tip: individual cabins available, we stayed in the main lodge, bed and breakfast.... quiet and lovely.
1  Thank Pamela B
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We had a Group On deal for the Deluxe cabin at the resort. Which seemed to be how most of the visitors came to this place. I loved that each cabin was private and separate. The big plus to this was the hot tub on the deck, and added to that was the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. I am a big lover of bubble baths, and this tub did not disappoint. It is one of the first things I did after check in :) The bed could be more comfortable, but that seems pretty common in most places that they are harder than I like. It was King size and that was a great plus. The set up of the room with the fire place, rotating TV and small adjacent living room with beautiful view made the whole place comfortable and inviting. I would very much recommend this location. The hotel staff was engaging and very helpful.

Room Tip: The Deluxe cottage size is just perfect for a couple to relax in with space to move....We had a room...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SerenityMidwife
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Orcas Island is a quite little island. I don't recall even seeing a stop light. The commercial area is Eastsound and the rest of the island is spotted with little resorts and restaurants here and there.

The biggest problem with the island is that most of the shoreline is private property. You cannot walk along it. If you look on the map and drive towards the waters edge, quite often you will discover that you cannot actually reach it because it is privately owned or that the swath of shoreline which you can walk along is about 20ft between two private properties.

A summary of the ferry ride and the resort:

THE FERRY:
We took the Anacortes ferry to Orcas island on a Friday, We arrived 45 minutes before the sailing. It reached capacity and we had to wait an additional 3+ hours for the next sailing. The ferry returning (Sunday) we got there 2.5 hours before the sailing because it was either wait at the hotel or wait at the ferry, we opted for the ferry and we're able to catch it. I think I overheard someone arriving 1.5 hours before the sailing he said that he might miss it due to overcapacity.

THE RESORT:
We stay in the deluxe cottage. It was very clean and newly renovated. They still had the old tube tv and it was pretty tiny. Breakfast was decent, mostly bread products, with the except of hard boils eggs and apples. They have three individual barbecues just outside the office. As stated in other posts - they provide barbecuing utensils, plastic knives, forks, spoons, paper plates, paper bowls, tin foil and an ice machine. Hot coffee/tea is available at the office till 8pm.

The cottage amenities:
2 glass mugs, 2 wine glasses, 2 glasses (in the bathroom), wineopener, coffeemaker - with coffee pods and tea bags, flashlight, dish soap, 2 dishclothes, 1 fan, 2 bathrobes, bar soap and shampoo.

What I would recommend one could bring:
a roll of paper towel, hair conditioner, body lotion, serated (real) knives and a couple of forks (if you are planning to barbecue your own food).

Best cottages for view:
107, 109 - Marina view. No other cottages in front of you.
110, 111 - Marina view. Behind 107, 109 so there a little bit of obstruction.
105 - View of the other islands and a bit of the marina, also faces a bit of 107.
101 - peakaboo view of the islands, farthest away, most private
104 - no view (from what I can tell) faces the back of another cottage.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank HoleyShoes
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Ok, where to begin....First of all, Deer Harbor is probably the prettiest place on the entire island in my opinion. Loved waking up each morning looking at the marina, and mozeying down to the hotel lobby for good coffee and a (sub-par) breakfast. I stayed here 4 nights in September 2012 and experienced 3 different cabins. The Garden suite is pretty with two larger-sized rooms. I believe there is only one garden suite on the property. The historical cottages are clearly the worst on the property. The tv in this cottage is very small and painful on the eyes as it sometime from the 90's. The biggest problem with this property is that they don't provide daily housecleaning service. Not even a turn down service or emptying the garbage. When I asked the front desk what to do with my overflowing garbage in the room the lady told me to bring the can down to the lobby and empty it myself. 4 days straight of baby diapers and dirty towels from bathing and swimming, it would be nice to get even basic service. Also it was very cold in our room at night and the heater wasn't working well and I had forgotten to ask for another log for the fire, so one night we slept very cold. This would have been prevented if they restocked the firewood in the cabin. The historical suite (not to be confused with cottage) was nice and updated, however there should be a tv in the room. Many people have mentioned the lack of wifi or internet service, though this didn't bother me because I was looking to get away from that. All in all, the staff is very friendly but they are overworked and generally running around too busy. My room was probably about on par with a Motel 6 but there are better rooms on the property that I didn't stay in. I will most likely return to this place but only because its a beautiful location for kayaking.

Room Tip: Dont stay in the historical cottage!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
#9 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Rosario Resort and Spa
Rosario Resort and Spa
#2 of 5 in Eastsound

Been to WorldMark Deer Harbor? Share your experiences!