“Quiet place to spend the nights”
Review of Marina Inn

Marina Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed at the Marina Inn for a week during a trip in November. As a solo female traveler I was a bit worried after reading some of the other reviews, but I found my stay very pleasurable. Yes, the hotel is outdated, but the room and bathroom was clean. I requested a room on the second floor and the man at the service desk was able to get me a room there. I found the hotel quiet and adequate for my stay. I only asked my room to be cleaned twice during the stay and other times I hung the "do not disturb" sign on the door. After returning to my room I noticed that no one had been in there just as I'd requested. When I did ask to have it cleaned, it was cleaned very well. The breakfast consists of some toast, cereal, fruit, tea and coffee, nothing special, but at least it's something to grab while on the run. The hotel is located about two blocks from the marina, easy walk. There are a few restaurants around, though I didn't visit those. The area seems rather quiet, I didn't see anything unusual or worrisome going on. The hotel is a few minutes drive from I-5 and about 25 minutes from Seattle (in zero traffic, but since there is apparently always traffic in and around Seattle, count at least 45 minutes, because that's how long it took me each way I went there). It is very close to the airport, maybe a 10 minute drive. Overall, I had a pleasurable experience. Quiet and cleanliness were most important. If you are looking for a hotel with many amenities, then look elsewhere, but if you're on vacation and spending most of your time in a hotel, then you should reconsider your itinerary. This place is perfectly adequate to sleep and shower and be on your way seeing all the wonderful things Washington state has to offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on second floor - that goes for any hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank GingerGinny
There are newer reviews for Marina Inn

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Away from the traffic of the city and the noise of SEATAC, Marina Inn is only a couple of blocks from a very picturesque marina and lots of opportunities for walking and sitting and relaxing. The hotel is clean and modern and quiet, room was spacious. I will plan on staying again because of the location and price.

But the negatives: the staff (at least one that was there every day during the day) was surly and unpleasant in every way. She couldn't find my reservation and asked to see proof, which I could do on my email confirmation, then charged me for one night. I asked why one night when I am staying three, and she asked to see my reservation again. I asked to confirm with her that I really had a room for three nights, and she barked at me. I told her she didn't need to be nasty, I was only a bit nervous because the reservation and length were wrong.

She didn't smile anytime that I saw, including when I walked in the door the first time, like it was an extreme bother to her to take care of me.

The continental breakfast is toast and a bagel, but there are good options nearby.

If my experience with the staff would have been pleasant, I would give it a 5. I hope customer service improves.

Room Tip: When the website says "view room" don't get too excited. The water is several blocks...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Spokane203
Reviewed 19 March 2014

If you are looking for a clean, comfortable room without all the fancy extras you will love the Marina Inn. It is located in a quiet semi-residential part of town and just a few blocks from the Marina. I stayed two (nonconsecutive) nights at the Marina Inn during my visit to Washington last week. I was greeted both times with a smile. The rooms have small refrigerators, microwaves, coffee maker and hairdryer. The Inn isn’t fancy or 5 star, but everything you would want from a small coastal town hotel. The free breakfast was simple, but considering the price of the room I still considered it a nice perk. There is also a coffee/bakery shop just two blocks away called “Auntie Irene’s.” I will defiantly stay at the Marina Inn during my next visit to the Seattle area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed over at the Marina before an early morning flight to New York. We chose the hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews, and also because the shuttle ran early enough for us. A lot of the airport hotels have limited shuttle hours. When I phoned the hotel to double check, the staff at the desk cheerfully reassured us that someone would drive us to the airport at 415 in the morning. The hotel is old but clean. Beds were comfortable and the bathroom was good. Desk staff are friendly and helpful. The shuttle was ready for us five minutes ahead of the requested time, and we made our flight with time to spare. Eight days later, the shuttle came to the airport swiftly when we called for it. We found our car safe and sound in the hotel lot, and made our way home. The Marina is about 20 minutes from Seatac, well away from the cluster of hotels that you usually think of for park and fly, but we were completely satisfied with our stay and the service provided.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Hotel was nice only problem was I booked my room for the wrong weekend should have been one week earlier and when I called the US number for Easybook.com the number was no good so I paid for the room twice with no way to contact them to get reimbursed that sucked would not use again for that reason

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Management very accommodating for early check in. Rooms clean and large; bed comfortable. Breakfast adequate and fresh. All expectations met; we were satisfied. Areaquie quiet and rooms allowed quiet rest.

Room Tip: Many restaurants within easy walking;
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stay here when we are going to wander the bars in Des Moines and don't want to drive afterwards. It is clean and simple and inexpensive. Central to pretty much everything in the City. The rooms are large, some have a jacuzzi tub. Only real complaint is that they towels are pretty skimpy and getting a bit on the thin side.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the front of the building and on an upper floor - a lot less noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Cedarbrook Lodge
#1 of 34 in SeaTac
Hampton Inn and Suites Seattle-Airport/28th Ave
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Kent/Sea-Tac Airport

Been to Marina Inn? Share your experiences!