“I'm sad...has potential-someone call Restaurant Impossible!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tuscany At Des Moines
Ranked #17 of 46 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Woodland Park, Colorado
“I'm sad...has potential-someone call Restaurant Impossible!”
Reviewed 14 February 2013

My husband and I live in Kent and this small downtown, quint from the outside looking diner is on the way to our auto mechanics (Shout out for EuroAsian Garage) and closest Trader Joe's. Passing by several times over the past couple of months, we finally decided to try it for breakfast. Upon walking in, I noticed both potential and eye sore right away. Little entry room with a glass pie counter/display. Unfortunately, the clutter and dullness of paint and lighting distracted me and I still can't remember if there were any pies in the display. As soon as we walked into the main dining area to our immediate left was an unsightly coffee station. You sure need one of those in a diner, but they could easily hide it with a fresh white divider or two with an opening to the kitchen area.

We ordered coffee upon sitting. The hostess that sat us brought us coffee right away...I liked that. But the coffee was terrible. I admit, we're Starbuck's drinkers....but we've had great Seattle's Best from McDonald's, Tully's in Seattle, even Americano's from local drive throughs around town. A good cup of coffee is a good cup of coffee even if it's not your favorite "brand". When we saw on the table that they offer coffee specialty "Espresso" drinks...we asked for an upgrade. The Waitress (who was very kind our entire service) did not charge us for the first cup we each probably drank half of. We could only drink 1/2 of our specialty coffee's. They weren't very good either, old and bitter tasting. They need a better quality.
We both ordered omlette's, potatoes and toast. Here is where their potential comes in. I didn't see my favorite omlette on the menu, the waitress said they could make it any way I liked. I had asked for my hash browns extra crispy and they came that way. Sounds so simple, but I have been to other, better places who come out with barely limp, cold hash browns even though I always ask for extra crispy. My husband ordered country potatoes and liked them also. Another cudos...our food was hot, omlette's cooked decent....could be better but not overcooked, and the toast nicely toasted...nothing cold and limp.
The only bummers - the bacon in my omlette was chewy and over greasy....like it was fried up hours earlier and warmed and chopped up for my omlette. They could also do just a little something with the look on the plate. They use smaller oval plates with absolutely zero pizazz. If they would use a bit larger plate and add a slice of fruit or two...little things go a long way towards the overall customer satisfaction.
The restaurant itself needs an overhaul. As we were sitting there you start to notice the wear and tear on everything. It screams, "we don't have any money to spruce this place up". Little do they realize that with a few thousand they could bring in many more customers. A new (faux) dark hardwood floor would be help lots. Re-pad the chairs and booths. You know, there are lovely original local artist water color art work on the walls...but they are clouded by the dullness in the rest of the room. I asked her if they had wireless internet..she said no, but she had been asked several times in the last few days. That should be a clue. Folks might come in and have breakfast...if they could hang out on their ipads for a few minutes.
I hope they read their reviews and see the potential they have and do something about it. It has the potential to be a cute place and would do well throughout the local community...from Federal Way, Kent, Des Moines, Normandy Park and Sea-Tac. Otherwise, I am afraid they may not make it for long. If you don't drink "good" coffee and have too high of expectations for atmosphere....then you might enjoy breakfast there. We wish the best for them, but are headed back to our local Mitzel's in Kent.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank cmchaca

Kent, Washington
“A nice evening away”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We've eaten here many times before but it has been a while so we noticed a difference. The name was modified a bit so now it's "Tuscany at Des Moines Creek". They had many of their regular menu items including fantastic pies. But with a name as Tuscany they added some Med stuff which I wasn't interested in.

With the name change also came the price change which was definitely higher than previously.

The food and service was good, there wasn't many people there that night. I guess I was a bit dissappointed with the change because it just didn't feel the same. We'll probably be back but not for a while.

• Visited January 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Pretty good”
Reviewed 3 December 2012 via mobile

This place is all about the breakfast buffet! Its a tad expensive if you don't have the biggest appetite! But all in all, its pretty good.

Auburn, Washington
“Cashew Crusted Halibut...yumm”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Birthday celebration with friends. Very quiet for a Thursday night. We practically had the place to ourselves. Hadn't been back here in several years (and was so so about it then, other than their award winning pies.) Am so glad we chose DC for dinner. Although the decor is somewhat tired, the service is good and the food was delicious. When the birthday girl chose Rhubarb pie for the 4 of us to share, off the menu, our waitress thought their might be one piece left or none at all. She was gone quite a while and came back with 4 thin slices of apple crisp with cream on them. She said there was no Rhubarb but thought we might like these as they were already cut and they don't normally sell them like that. So she gave them to us on the house. Very nice!

• Visited August 2012
Des Moines, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Its be best”
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We were group of 10 people who visited this place for our lunch/meeting. Food was cooked to perfection, They are so accomodating, very friendly and lastly I would say this is the place where you would like to go with your family, friends or just by yourself. By the way Pies are still baked by Mary Ann like always

• Visited June 2011