“Beautiful spot, good value”

and 1 more site!
Rosario Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Eastsound
Reviewed 7 June 2011

The resort is on the grounds of a former millionaire's estate and is beautifully landscaped. Our room in the Skagit lodge had a fantastic view over the water and was quite luxurious. Most rooms have at least partial water views. In terms of location, the resort is about 15 minutes drive from Eastsound, the only real town on the island. It is right next to Moran State park (given to the state by the same millionaire), which has beautiful hiking trails through the forest and along several lakes. We stayed 2 nights, but I would have enjoyed staying at least one more day. The only disappointment was the food at the Mansion Restaurant, all which was overcooked on the night that we were there. We found the nearby Inn at Ship Bay to be a better bet.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rosario Resort and Spa

Reviewed 2 April 2011

We flew in by sea plane - part of the experience. Kenmore took us right up to the dock on the little seaplane - what a treat! We did not rent a car...had decided previously that running around was not a part of our game plan at the juncture....wanted to sit and relax - which we did in ample amounts. We called the taxi service in Eastsound - about 5 miles away and they quickly picked us up and took us from Rosario to Eastsound to do a little grocery shopping - round trip was about $45 - probably less than we would have spent on a car anyway. However, such friendly and happy people every where we went...it is a nice relief from that of the large city in which we live.

The Rosario Resort itself was a wonderful experience. I personally used the spa services twice....for a facial - do treat yourself to the Rosario Classic Facial if possible - and for a manicure. These were very relaxing experiences. The aesthetician who performed my facial gave me a wonderful history of the products she was using (all natural) along with a history of the past ten years at the facility. My husband and I spent hours in the swimming pool (which was an original part of the mansion I was fascinated to learn), the whirlpool, and the dry heat room. Everything was very clean and orderly...all the people we interacted with were so helpful and friendly. Our seaplane was cancelled on our return trip due to weather and we were greeted back in the Rosario's plush Moran room with ample coffee and hot tea made available until our ride was available to another airport several hours later - even though we had already checked out!

The Mansion was beautiful and appeared to be well kept. It has quite a colorful history, and I highly recommend reading about the Moran Family (the original owners) and subsequent owners in the publication available at the front desk. A reading copy is also available down in the spa area - which is the edition that I read while relaxing. The museum on the floor above the lobby is very interesting as it depicts some of the daily elements of life when the mansion was built at the turn of the century.

We happened to bump into various locals who indicated pleasure that the new owners of the Rosario were taking some pride in refurbishing it. Kenmore airlines stated that the seaplane dock had only recently been refurbished by them, after it had been out of commission for several months prior to the new owners - apparently it was completed just the week before we arrived! Some of the others indicated that they believed that these owners were taking a much keener interest in the property than previous ones and that there were plans for rebuilding and renovating.

We were there on the shoulder season - right before the visitors start flocking in. Our check in was flawless, but funny, as we interacted with the assistant at the front desk. The room was so comfortable for us - the King Waterview was quite spacious & comfortable for us. We had a blast feeding the seagulls and ravens with old scraps of bread and bananas.....we saw some otters playing around in the bay. There dozens of starfish in waters just off the shore.

If rest and relaxation is what you need, I highly recommend a trip for a few days to the Rosario Resort. Please do not expect to find a 5-star resort of the kind that has bell-boys, a concierge, a golf course, etc. Are the rooms plush & luxurious - No. Are they extremely comfortable - Yes! They are spacious and have a CD player with a selection of relaxing and romantic CDs available for enjoying. I felt like we got excellent value for the price we paid. They do have a bar and restaurant that are open seasonally - which I'm sad we missed due to our schedule. This is a resort is about enjoying downtime and nature. I would go there again if and when time permits. The area and the facilities are gorgeous and the people are so kind and special.

Room Tip: Ask for the King Waterview - Beautiful!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank laj_texas
Reviewed 24 February 2011

My husband and I just spent a weekend at Rosario Resort and highly recommend it to everyone. It has incredible historical charm backed by hospitality from all staff that was gracious, warm, and caring. We were entertained with a slide show about both Rosario and it's original owner, The Moran Family while listening to Christopher Peacock play the organ and piano owned by the Morans dating back to the 1900's. Even if you are not a history buff, Mr. Peacock's exquisite musical talent was well worth the trip. The resort it's self is relaxing while being inviting at the same time. The rooms were clean and comfortable and offered the most amazing views. We are excited to hear they have recently hired a chef and will be reopening their dinning room as soon as March, 2011. They have a beautiful spa with all the services, an indoor and outdoor pool, and a hot tub. Mount Constance is just a few miles away and offers trails for hiking and there are not enough words to describe the summit.... A Must See! Rosario seems to be a very versitle place... a great place for outdoor activities like boating, fishing, jet skiing, kayaking, biking, hiking, swimming and at the same time a quite, romantic place perfect for a wedding or anniversary or just a great place to getaway... We will most definately be back for a visit, hopefully as soon as this summer. Undeniably a place that will remain very high on our recommended vacation destinations!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2011

Thanks so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We really do appreciate it when our guests reach out to fellow travelers to tell them about Rosario Resort & Spa. It is also nice to that you listed the abundance of great activities available at Rosario and on Orcas Island. I will correct one thing however – jet skis are not allowed in the San Juan Islands. Interestingly, San Juan County became the first area in the United States to ban jet skis due to our residents desire to preserve the wonderful tranquility of the islands and to protect the local resident orca whale pods. Thanks too, for your kind words about my concert, but more importantly, for recognizing the hospitality provided by our great staff! We look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

Reviewed 20 January 2011

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Rosarios 25 years ago and recently returned. The place is ever better than it was 25 years ago. The setting is absolutely gorgeous, the accomodations are superb, the mansion with all of it's history is amazig. I must say that the staff at Rosarios can't be beat. They make you feel so welcome and give you just the right amount of attention and pampering without interfering in your stay. We love the place so much that we purchased a gift certificate for our son, and he and his girlfriend will be going to Rosario in just a few weeks. I know that they will love it as much as we do.
Thank you to everyone at Rosario for such wonderful memories!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2011

Thank you for the nice comments and congratulations on your 25th anniversary! As I have said before, we have a great staff who feel pride in welcoming our guests to this historic property. I am thrilled that their attitude of hospitality gets recognized!

Reviewed 5 January 2011

25 years ago we spent our honeymoon at Rosario's. While out dancing that night, we had the pleasure of meeting a member of the band and his bride to be. As it turned out, this fellow was also the tour guide for Rosario's and he gave us a private tour of the mansion at 2:30 in the morning! Flash forward 25 years and to our delight, that wonderful fellow and is still at Rosario's. In fact, he's now the general manager, Christopher Peacock! We had a great visit with him and his wife all over again.

As he did 25 years before, Christopher made sure our stay at this magical place was just as memorable. Of course the setting is fabulous and the mansion is spectacular. We got a room with a gas fireplace to keep us toasty warm in December, and a beautiful view. The room was much improved over the one we stayed in 25 years before and was quite nice. The women at the front desk were incredibly accommodating and helpful. We had a wonderful stay and can't wait to go back

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zobert
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2011

It was great spending time with these guests and I thank them for letting future visitors know what a special place Rosario is. As my wife and I also will be celebrating our 25th anniversary this year, I truly understand this special occasion in people’s lives and appreciate these guests choosing to spend it at Rosario. We do look forward to having them return, but hopefully sooner than there 50th anniversary!

Reviewed 2 December 2010

My wife and I spent our twenty-fifth anniversary at Rosario. Joleen set us up for a two-night stay. She was very accomodating and eager to help us. She updated our room status as an anniversary surprise and the rest is pleasant history. We really hope the resort solves their restaurant situation to only help matters for future stays. Good luck
to all of you and we'll be back!

Ronald Dehnert
Eatonville, WA

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rondehrosa
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2010

We are always honored when a guest chooses Rosario to celebrate a special occasion in their lives... thank you and congratulations! I’d also like to thank this guest for taking the time to point out Jolene, as it’s great to hear about our guest's experience with our staff. We look forward to their return!

Reviewed 27 November 2010

My wife and I are just wrapping up four nights at Rosario. I would say it's a mostly good news story, but not entirely. The location is stunning. Our room was spacious and pleasant. And, at $129/night off season, I have no complaints. The spa is a maze, but everything's there and we enjoyed a massage, the hot tub and the sauna. Christopher, the manager, clearly considers Rosario a labor of love...we asked for a microwave and he brought it right over.

We wanted an adult getaway, in a romantic spot, and we got that.

That having been said...
1) The small grape: electronics. There needs to be investment here. The internet worked only when it seemed to want to. Even on a romantic getaway, we both needed to be connected and it wasn't happening with consistency. And the last CRT TVs is the US need to be replaced...they flicker and resolution simply isn't what a traveler expects these days.
2) The Big grape: food. If you are a "resort" rather than a hotel, and you have a web site that talks about "award winning food," then have it. The continental breakfast at $5 isn't what you'd get for free at a Holiday Inn Express. More importantly, because it was cold on Thanksgiving night, we stayed and ate the meal offered at the Quilted Pig. I'm sorry, but it was unacceptable. The souffle came unheated. The bean and mushroom soup was, similarly, only at room temperature and other than color had no hint of mushroom. But these were the lead in to the Swanson TV dinner main course: slabs of textureless turkey breast, steamed broccoli, a scoop of mashed potatoes, and dry cornbread stuffing. Only the cranberry sauce has any taste. Has the chef been told about spices? This resembled the seniors plate at Dennys, where it would have been 1/3 the price. Dessert was adequate, but that's as high as the meal rose. Frankly, do it right or don't do it. I've seen prior reviews of the resort where the response has been "the restaurant is an independent entity." Sorry, that doesn't cut it. It's under your roof, under your umbrella in the publicity. Take ownership.

I would not let the restaurant situation keep you away from Rosario, but I would not eat here, and I would come here knowing that I was going into towm every night.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2010

It is nice to hear this guest had a romantic time at Rosario and rated each category as quite high! Unfortunately, they were caught in a bit of a transition for us. Our leased restaurant The Quilted Pig’s last day was Thanksgiving. They announced they were closing the previous week. I immediately informed all of our incoming guests that there would not be food and beverage available at the resort after Thanksgiving and gave our guests the option to cancel for a full refund. We are in fact taking ownership of the restaurant operation and look forward to reopening in the spring of 2011. I am sorry to hear that this guest did not enjoy their Thanksgiving Dinner.

The comment regarding our televisions is very timely, as I have spent Black Friday and Cyber Monday looking to replace them. As for internet reliability, the unfortunate reality is that we have very poor internet infrastructure available to us at our location on the island. The speed and reliability is far below today’s standards. We are working constantly with our Internet Service Providers to improve our service.

This is certainly a fair and constructive review and I appreciate this guest taking their time to write it. I am glad to hear they will recommend Rosario to others.

Rosario Resort & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
#3 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Friday Harbor House
Friday Harbor House
#5 of 10 in Friday Harbor

Been to Rosario Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!