“Paradise in the San Juans”

Rosario Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Eastsound
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I would like to thank all the staff at Rosario form giving my wife and I
a truly memorable experience for our 40th wedding anniversary.
When my wife was in Ireland last August visiting family two of my friends and I
were sailing in the San Juan Islands. The evening we moored at Rosario
we spent time walking around the resort and I fell in love with the
resort and the story of Mr. Moran.
Although I spent a year travelling around the world and have travelled
extensively in Europe I truly believe that you have not seen true beauty
until you have experienced Rosario.

We are looking forward to our return to the Round House where one can
truly experience tranquility.

Thanks again for a wonderful experience.

Monica and Brent Jewell

Room Tip: Ask for the Roundhouse if you want total peace and tranquility.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 49BJ

Reviewed 29 June 2011

We are spending two weeks on Orcas Island with our family in celebration of our 10th wedding anniversary. My parents gave us a gift of a night at Rosario while they stayed with the kids at our rental house--a vacation within our vacation! We camped at nearby Moran State Park when I was a kd, and I've always wanted to visit Rosario.

I am not a "resort" person, as a rule. I don't care for pools or bars or clubs or golf. I like historical properties, and that was my highest hope for Rosario. I would give a whole lot to spend a night in the original mansion, which is now a museum upstairs, restaurant on the ground floor, and spa below. We enjoyed touring the museum, but guest lodgings are all elsewhere, and mostly modern structures.

Our room was a nice size, clean and pleasant. The king sized bed was comfortable, and offered several layers of bedding, exactly as one might need on a chillier-than-average night in June.

Each room offered a sliding door out to a small balcony with table and chairs, but, as the balconies inter-connected with those of the neighboring rooms, and neighbors were out on both sides, we stayed inside. Our room overlooked the marina, which was a pleasant view.

In spite of the obvious presence of occupied rooms on both sides, we heard almost no noise once we closed the slider at bedtime. Rooms are obviously well sound-proofed, or we had the quietest neighbors imaginable!

Electronics were absolutely up to snuff. The flatscreen Panasonic tv had an iPod dock which enabled me to connect my 2nd Gen iPod Touch and watch video on the tv screen. Music played through the tv as well, but the CD-clock radio also had an MP3 input (bring a 3.5mm cable!) as well as playing nature sounds.

The bathroom was functional and moderately attractive, hut nothing exciting. The sink taps were reversed but correctly labeled, and the sink was set oddly in the counter at a 45 degree angle to the mirror. A coffee maker (4 cup) and fridge were in the room, plus 2 china mugs, 2 wine glasses, and a corkscrew.

We didn't bother going to the "cafe" to see their breakfast pastry selection, preferring to return to our family for a hot breakfast. The walk arond the Rosario grounds was really nice, and all the staff we encountered were at least polite, if not excellent. We had a lovely time.

I could see this property developing into quite a place, but I think the term resort suggests to me the meeting of all my vacation needs. At minimum, I would want the option to get three (hot) meals a day while at a resort. I think most guests would expect many more activities than just the daily pipe organ concert and available spa services.

• Stayed: June 2011
4  Thank Mommywillo
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Rosario. I am sorry we did not have complete breakfast service during your stay, but we do now offer three meals a day, including breakfast in The Mansion Restaurant.

Christopher Peacock
Rosario Resort & Spa

Reviewed 24 June 2011

Stayed at Rosario for only night as part of a girl-friend getaway and can only agree with other reviewers on the beauty of the place and the great service. I wanted to specifically comment on the food though. Before leaving for the trip I had read some of the negative reviews on this site with regards to the restaurant. I understand that the ownership has recently changed, so I was hoping for the better, but was still a bit concerned. I am a "foodie" so a bad dinner can really ruin my overall experience. Even after arriving at the Rosario we were still debating if we should cancel our reservation and try out a place in town. I'm glad we didn't. Both of us had seafood dishes (salmon and seabass) and they were absolutely delicous, followed by the brownie soufflee with ice-cream, which was to die for. All of this served by an attentive and lovely waiter (Andon). There really wasn't anything more we could have asked for.
As for the continental breakfast, well, it's sufficient if you want something quick. We didn't have that much time and following the recommendation of my massage therapist (thanks Michael!) we headed straight up the mountain to take in the stunning view. It was worth it. We then had a second breakfast at the hotel overlooking the ferry terminal. I think Rosario should consider offering a full breakfast. It might draw in non-guests as well - if it's good!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank happyflower00
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I stayed in the marina at Rosario for a family reunion. I can't say enough about Rosario. The minute we arrived we were reminded to catch the 4pm organ recital/slide show that gave the history of the Moran family and the development of Rosario Resort. I love history and architecture, so this information set the stage for a delightful two night stay.
Staying in the marina gave us full access to all the amenities at the resort. We particularly enjoyed an afternoon in the main pool. It sits on a cliff overlooking the bay; the glass walls and warm water temperature was perfect for a breezy day. There is an additional outdoor pool and a hot tub and vintage pool indoors at the spa. The grounds and setting are a must see while on Orcas.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank havenwallawalla
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We spent only one night on Orcas Island, but it was so relaxing it felt much longer. The hotel is a series of small buildings around the main house, and even though we were in the largest building we hardly saw the other guests. It was too early in the year to use the pools or other recreational equipment, but we took several short walks around the property and it looked like it would be a great place to spend a few days in the summer.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2011

The resort is on the grounds of a former millionaire's estate and is beautifully landscaped. Our room in the Skagit lodge had a fantastic view over the water and was quite luxurious. Most rooms have at least partial water views. In terms of location, the resort is about 15 minutes drive from Eastsound, the only real town on the island. It is right next to Moran State park (given to the state by the same millionaire), which has beautiful hiking trails through the forest and along several lakes. We stayed 2 nights, but I would have enjoyed staying at least one more day. The only disappointment was the food at the Mansion Restaurant, all which was overcooked on the night that we were there. We found the nearby Inn at Ship Bay to be a better bet.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2011

We flew in by sea plane - part of the experience. Kenmore took us right up to the dock on the little seaplane - what a treat! We did not rent a car...had decided previously that running around was not a part of our game plan at the juncture....wanted to sit and relax - which we did in ample amounts. We called the taxi service in Eastsound - about 5 miles away and they quickly picked us up and took us from Rosario to Eastsound to do a little grocery shopping - round trip was about $45 - probably less than we would have spent on a car anyway. However, such friendly and happy people every where we went...it is a nice relief from that of the large city in which we live.

The Rosario Resort itself was a wonderful experience. I personally used the spa services twice....for a facial - do treat yourself to the Rosario Classic Facial if possible - and for a manicure. These were very relaxing experiences. The aesthetician who performed my facial gave me a wonderful history of the products she was using (all natural) along with a history of the past ten years at the facility. My husband and I spent hours in the swimming pool (which was an original part of the mansion I was fascinated to learn), the whirlpool, and the dry heat room. Everything was very clean and orderly...all the people we interacted with were so helpful and friendly. Our seaplane was cancelled on our return trip due to weather and we were greeted back in the Rosario's plush Moran room with ample coffee and hot tea made available until our ride was available to another airport several hours later - even though we had already checked out!

The Mansion was beautiful and appeared to be well kept. It has quite a colorful history, and I highly recommend reading about the Moran Family (the original owners) and subsequent owners in the publication available at the front desk. A reading copy is also available down in the spa area - which is the edition that I read while relaxing. The museum on the floor above the lobby is very interesting as it depicts some of the daily elements of life when the mansion was built at the turn of the century.

We happened to bump into various locals who indicated pleasure that the new owners of the Rosario were taking some pride in refurbishing it. Kenmore airlines stated that the seaplane dock had only recently been refurbished by them, after it had been out of commission for several months prior to the new owners - apparently it was completed just the week before we arrived! Some of the others indicated that they believed that these owners were taking a much keener interest in the property than previous ones and that there were plans for rebuilding and renovating.

We were there on the shoulder season - right before the visitors start flocking in. Our check in was flawless, but funny, as we interacted with the assistant at the front desk. The room was so comfortable for us - the King Waterview was quite spacious & comfortable for us. We had a blast feeding the seagulls and ravens with old scraps of bread and bananas.....we saw some otters playing around in the bay. There dozens of starfish in waters just off the shore.

If rest and relaxation is what you need, I highly recommend a trip for a few days to the Rosario Resort. Please do not expect to find a 5-star resort of the kind that has bell-boys, a concierge, a golf course, etc. Are the rooms plush & luxurious - No. Are they extremely comfortable - Yes! They are spacious and have a CD player with a selection of relaxing and romantic CDs available for enjoying. I felt like we got excellent value for the price we paid. They do have a bar and restaurant that are open seasonally - which I'm sad we missed due to our schedule. This is a resort is about enjoying downtime and nature. I would go there again if and when time permits. The area and the facilities are gorgeous and the people are so kind and special.

Room Tip: Ask for the King Waterview - Beautiful!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank laj_texas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
10 mi away
Friday Harbor House
Friday Harbor House
#5 of 11 in Friday Harbor

Been to Rosario Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!