“Would recommend it!”

and 1 more site!
Rosario Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Eastsound
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed in room 1315 and had a beautiful view. Felt like we were the only ones there. Our room was very comfortable, and we had a deck that looked out right over the water. We ate dinner and breakfast in the resort restaurant. Great food, large portions, reasonably priced (I was surprised!), and helpful staff. When my husband and I couldnt' decide on what wine to have with dinner, we were presented with 3 tastes - and we were able to pick a winner. If you want to go whale watching, Deer Harbor Charters leaves from the resort marina - just a few minutes walk from the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NKL2010

Reviewed 27 July 2011

I would like to thank all the staff at Rosario form giving my wife and I
a truly memorable experience for our 40th wedding anniversary.
When my wife was in Ireland last August visiting family two of my friends and I
were sailing in the San Juan Islands. The evening we moored at Rosario
we spent time walking around the resort and I fell in love with the
resort and the story of Mr. Moran.
Although I spent a year travelling around the world and have travelled
extensively in Europe I truly believe that you have not seen true beauty
until you have experienced Rosario.

We are looking forward to our return to the Round House where one can
truly experience tranquility.

Thanks again for a wonderful experience.

Monica and Brent Jewell

Room Tip: Ask for the Roundhouse if you want total peace and tranquility.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 49BJ
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We are spending two weeks on Orcas Island with our family in celebration of our 10th wedding anniversary. My parents gave us a gift of a night at Rosario while they stayed with the kids at our rental house--a vacation within our vacation! We camped at nearby Moran State Park when I was a kd, and I've always wanted to visit Rosario.

I am not a "resort" person, as a rule. I don't care for pools or bars or clubs or golf. I like historical properties, and that was my highest hope for Rosario. I would give a whole lot to spend a night in the original mansion, which is now a museum upstairs, restaurant on the ground floor, and spa below. We enjoyed touring the museum, but guest lodgings are all elsewhere, and mostly modern structures.

Our room was a nice size, clean and pleasant. The king sized bed was comfortable, and offered several layers of bedding, exactly as one might need on a chillier-than-average night in June.

Each room offered a sliding door out to a small balcony with table and chairs, but, as the balconies inter-connected with those of the neighboring rooms, and neighbors were out on both sides, we stayed inside. Our room overlooked the marina, which was a pleasant view.

In spite of the obvious presence of occupied rooms on both sides, we heard almost no noise once we closed the slider at bedtime. Rooms are obviously well sound-proofed, or we had the quietest neighbors imaginable!

Electronics were absolutely up to snuff. The flatscreen Panasonic tv had an iPod dock which enabled me to connect my 2nd Gen iPod Touch and watch video on the tv screen. Music played through the tv as well, but the CD-clock radio also had an MP3 input (bring a 3.5mm cable!) as well as playing nature sounds.

The bathroom was functional and moderately attractive, hut nothing exciting. The sink taps were reversed but correctly labeled, and the sink was set oddly in the counter at a 45 degree angle to the mirror. A coffee maker (4 cup) and fridge were in the room, plus 2 china mugs, 2 wine glasses, and a corkscrew.

We didn't bother going to the "cafe" to see their breakfast pastry selection, preferring to return to our family for a hot breakfast. The walk arond the Rosario grounds was really nice, and all the staff we encountered were at least polite, if not excellent. We had a lovely time.

I could see this property developing into quite a place, but I think the term resort suggests to me the meeting of all my vacation needs. At minimum, I would want the option to get three (hot) meals a day while at a resort. I think most guests would expect many more activities than just the daily pipe organ concert and available spa services.

• Stayed: June 2011
4  Thank Mommywillo
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Rosario. I am sorry we did not have complete breakfast service during your stay, but we do now offer three meals a day, including breakfast in The Mansion Restaurant.

Christopher Peacock
Rosario Resort & Spa

Reviewed 24 June 2011

Stayed at Rosario for only night as part of a girl-friend getaway and can only agree with other reviewers on the beauty of the place and the great service. I wanted to specifically comment on the food though. Before leaving for the trip I had read some of the negative reviews on this site with regards to the restaurant. I understand that the ownership has recently changed, so I was hoping for the better, but was still a bit concerned. I am a "foodie" so a bad dinner can really ruin my overall experience. Even after arriving at the Rosario we were still debating if we should cancel our reservation and try out a place in town. I'm glad we didn't. Both of us had seafood dishes (salmon and seabass) and they were absolutely delicous, followed by the brownie soufflee with ice-cream, which was to die for. All of this served by an attentive and lovely waiter (Andon). There really wasn't anything more we could have asked for.
As for the continental breakfast, well, it's sufficient if you want something quick. We didn't have that much time and following the recommendation of my massage therapist (thanks Michael!) we headed straight up the mountain to take in the stunning view. It was worth it. We then had a second breakfast at the hotel overlooking the ferry terminal. I think Rosario should consider offering a full breakfast. It might draw in non-guests as well - if it's good!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank happyflower00
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I stayed in the marina at Rosario for a family reunion. I can't say enough about Rosario. The minute we arrived we were reminded to catch the 4pm organ recital/slide show that gave the history of the Moran family and the development of Rosario Resort. I love history and architecture, so this information set the stage for a delightful two night stay.
Staying in the marina gave us full access to all the amenities at the resort. We particularly enjoyed an afternoon in the main pool. It sits on a cliff overlooking the bay; the glass walls and warm water temperature was perfect for a breezy day. There is an additional outdoor pool and a hot tub and vintage pool indoors at the spa. The grounds and setting are a must see while on Orcas.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank havenwallawalla
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We spent only one night on Orcas Island, but it was so relaxing it felt much longer. The hotel is a series of small buildings around the main house, and even though we were in the largest building we hardly saw the other guests. It was too early in the year to use the pools or other recreational equipment, but we took several short walks around the property and it looked like it would be a great place to spend a few days in the summer.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2011

The resort is on the grounds of a former millionaire's estate and is beautifully landscaped. Our room in the Skagit lodge had a fantastic view over the water and was quite luxurious. Most rooms have at least partial water views. In terms of location, the resort is about 15 minutes drive from Eastsound, the only real town on the island. It is right next to Moran State park (given to the state by the same millionaire), which has beautiful hiking trails through the forest and along several lakes. We stayed 2 nights, but I would have enjoyed staying at least one more day. The only disappointment was the food at the Mansion Restaurant, all which was overcooked on the night that we were there. We found the nearby Inn at Ship Bay to be a better bet.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
#1 of 2 in Deer Harbor
Discovery Inn
Discovery Inn
#2 of 11 in Friday Harbor

Been to Rosario Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!