“Cascade Bay Grill--great food & hospitality for budget-minded customers”

Rosario Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Eastsound
Cincinnati
“Cascade Bay Grill--great food & hospitality for budget-minded customers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

This little grill is located in a store next to the Rosario Resort. Nice picnic-type tables with bright red umbrellas allow customers to wait for their order and/or eat on the premises with a pleasant vew of the harbor. I ate a lunch and two dinners there because the prices were reasonable, the food was very good, and the people there were incredibly friendly. I struck up conversations not only with the staff and cooks, but with my fellow diners--it has a local pub kind of feel with especially good food. From salads to combo-meals, the food was good and filling and plentiful--I always had seconds to take back for a meal the next day. Great little gem where I felt especially comfortable (great beer choices as well, so if you're waiting for an order, it's a nice chance to try local brews on tap).

Stayed August 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Washington State
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

This is an older establishment and steps at the entrance of the mansion were cracked and uneven in places. The room was decorated nicely and the linens were luxurious but the floors were not very clean. The water from the shower head was like an umbrella, it didn't fall directly on you. The waitstaff was nice but the service in the restaurant was lacking. The food sounded wonderful but lacked flavor. The spa was nice and bright. The flowers blooming around the grounds were lovely. The setting around the resort is beautiful and the view of the water is amazing. In the evening and early morning the deer come on the grounds and are very friendly. Update the entry, the chef and clean the floors in the rooms and I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2011
I am sorry to hear this guest was disappointed. As I have mentioned before, it is difficult to address issues and improve on a guest experience when I am reading about them in this forum. If I hear a guest room is not properly cleaned or a showerhead is not working properly, I can address that during their stay. Although our restaurant guest comment cards score consistently high marks for food and service, I do know taste is subjective and I understand not everyone will be happy with every dish. If a guest is not happy with their meal, our servers are happy to offer an alternative. We will be updating our front steps after the busy summer season, so we hope you will stay here again!

Christopher Peacock
Rosario Resort & Spa
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed at Rosario for a long weekend, Friday-Monday with our adult children. We took the float plane into Rosario with Kenmore Air. I would highly recommend this way of getting to the resort. It is a bit expensive but the views and experience are worth it. Our first 2 nights were at the Residences. Not cheap at $450 a night but worked for us with our adult children. The living space and kitchen are large and fully equipped. The condo with 2 master bedrooms and a pullout couch were new and very nice. Exceptionally clean. The pullout couch is an air mattress so it was more comfortable than the standard sofa bed. The balcony is the best. It is huge and a great place to have your morning coffee or glass of wine in the evening, the views overlooking the marina and beyond are incredible.
We had to move to the Skagit section of rooms for our third night because of availabilty, 1316 and 1305. After being in the Residences this was a little disappointing. The building is obviously older although the room had been refurbished with new fixtures, it still looked old and the bathroom was musty smelling. It was OK but no place I would go back to.
We didn't eat at their restaurant. We had a rental car and ate at the Inn at Ships' Bay and West Sound Cafe. I would recommend both restaurants. Especially West Sound Cafe for breakfast. We ate dinner there as well after whale watching with Deer Harbor Charters and ate on their porch. Very nice and reasonably priced with a good wine selection.
One thing we noticied at all restaurants........don't be in a hurry. All had small kitchens and usually one cook. Over all a great trip and get away from TX heat!

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank inTX
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

If you have been to the marina in the past and weren't impressed II would encourage you to try again. Under new management the docks are well kept, and staff and Harbormaster are extremely helpful and friendly. The location is as always breathtaking so the improved services serve to enhance the experience. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Try and time your arrival to the marina in a high tide if possible.
Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Kent, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed in room 1315 and had a beautiful view. Felt like we were the only ones there. Our room was very comfortable, and we had a deck that looked out right over the water. We ate dinner and breakfast in the resort restaurant. Great food, large portions, reasonably priced (I was surprised!), and helpful staff. When my husband and I couldnt' decide on what wine to have with dinner, we were presented with 3 tastes - and we were able to pick a winner. If you want to go whale watching, Deer Harbor Charters leaves from the resort marina - just a few minutes walk from the rooms.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NKL2010
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

I would like to thank all the staff at Rosario form giving my wife and I
a truly memorable experience for our 40th wedding anniversary.
When my wife was in Ireland last August visiting family two of my friends and I
were sailing in the San Juan Islands. The evening we moored at Rosario
we spent time walking around the resort and I fell in love with the
resort and the story of Mr. Moran.
Although I spent a year travelling around the world and have travelled
extensively in Europe I truly believe that you have not seen true beauty
until you have experienced Rosario.

We are looking forward to our return to the Round House where one can
truly experience tranquility.

Thanks again for a wonderful experience.

Monica and Brent Jewell

Room Tip: Ask for the Roundhouse if you want total peace and tranquility.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank 49BJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

We are spending two weeks on Orcas Island with our family in celebration of our 10th wedding anniversary. My parents gave us a gift of a night at Rosario while they stayed with the kids at our rental house--a vacation within our vacation! We camped at nearby Moran State Park when I was a kd, and I've always wanted to visit Rosario.

I am not a "resort" person, as a rule. I don't care for pools or bars or clubs or golf. I like historical properties, and that was my highest hope for Rosario. I would give a whole lot to spend a night in the original mansion, which is now a museum upstairs, restaurant on the ground floor, and spa below. We enjoyed touring the museum, but guest lodgings are all elsewhere, and mostly modern structures.

Our room was a nice size, clean and pleasant. The king sized bed was comfortable, and offered several layers of bedding, exactly as one might need on a chillier-than-average night in June.

Each room offered a sliding door out to a small balcony with table and chairs, but, as the balconies inter-connected with those of the neighboring rooms, and neighbors were out on both sides, we stayed inside. Our room overlooked the marina, which was a pleasant view.

In spite of the obvious presence of occupied rooms on both sides, we heard almost no noise once we closed the slider at bedtime. Rooms are obviously well sound-proofed, or we had the quietest neighbors imaginable!

Electronics were absolutely up to snuff. The flatscreen Panasonic tv had an iPod dock which enabled me to connect my 2nd Gen iPod Touch and watch video on the tv screen. Music played through the tv as well, but the CD-clock radio also had an MP3 input (bring a 3.5mm cable!) as well as playing nature sounds.

The bathroom was functional and moderately attractive, hut nothing exciting. The sink taps were reversed but correctly labeled, and the sink was set oddly in the counter at a 45 degree angle to the mirror. A coffee maker (4 cup) and fridge were in the room, plus 2 china mugs, 2 wine glasses, and a corkscrew.

We didn't bother going to the "cafe" to see their breakfast pastry selection, preferring to return to our family for a hot breakfast. The walk arond the Rosario grounds was really nice, and all the staff we encountered were at least polite, if not excellent. We had a lovely time.

I could see this property developing into quite a place, but I think the term resort suggests to me the meeting of all my vacation needs. At minimum, I would want the option to get three (hot) meals a day while at a resort. I think most guests would expect many more activities than just the daily pipe organ concert and available spa services.

• Stayed June 2011
4 Thank Mommywillo
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Rosario. I am sorry we did not have complete breakfast service during your stay, but we do now offer three meals a day, including breakfast in The Mansion Restaurant.

Christopher Peacock
Rosario Resort & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
#3 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Edenwild Boutique Inn
Edenwild Boutique Inn
#1 of 2 in Lopez Island

Been to Rosario Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!