“Memorable experience indeed”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Eastsound
Portland, OR
“Memorable experience indeed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

I've stayed with my mother here who was visiting me and I wanted to show her the beauty of the area. The hotel is historic, the location is simply amazing. It is so isolated, pristine, and oh so romantic. We saw the deer so many times and you have to drive very carefully as they are everywhere! The hotel is situated on the water and when we went there, the only thing that we saw in the water was a sea plane that landed to bring in people and left. You can eat in their restaurant and savor the amazing views. This was truly a memorable experience. The hotel is however overpriced for what you get. The food wasn't fresh, very expensive, which is important considering the isolated location of the hotel that the food be fresh. The rooms were old and the staff not particularly professional. We did try out their spa, which was pretty nice. I stayed there for one night on two different occasions: once with my mother and once with my girlfriend. I would say that if they wanted to bring people in there, improve the services and lower the prices. The rooms also needed a remodel when we were there. Overall, for an unforgettable experience, stay there for a day or two.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank romeopitbull

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

My trip to Rosario was with another couple friend of my boyfriend and mine. We went during April and it was really quiet there. Our rooms were excellent, but I think they could of given us better as i'm fairly certain there weren't that many people staying there that weekend. Regardless, our rooms, beds, bathrooms were all very nice.

The mansion itself was still under restoration and so was the pool/hot tub, so that was a bummer. I asked about dinner and the front desk said it was imperative we made a reservation. We didn't really want to as we were just going with the flow, but at last we did. When we showed up for the reservation there was no in the restaurant and it was very clear no reservation was needed. The food was just so-so, and our waitress was a little wacky. Her drink recommendation was the mai-tai which seemed odd to all of us as it was cold and rainy out, but oh well, maybe she just liked dark rum.

Rosario is very calm and relaxing, so don't be looking to whoop it up, but it's a beautiful surroundings that are truly rare. I would recommend to couples, and friends.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank danid83
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

I've stayed at Rosario Resort twice, once alone and once with my husband. Both stays were during the winter months. When I was alone, I was the ONLY guest in the whole resort! It was a little spooky, but amazing. I stayed in one of the cabins high above the water, with a private balcony and a view that was surreal. It seemed like a Disney animation!

The manager was just super. She waited for me to arrive, as the ferry landed later than her shift. She was so gracious and friendly, and took the time to brief me on everything and make me feel at home before she left.

I chose to book an all day horseback ride the first day, and as it turned out, I had a private guide all day! The scenery is breathtaking.

I cannot stress how wonderful Rosario is. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I loved the row of cabins above the resort. Since both my stays were in the off season, the castle...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank N2horses97
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed in the Residences and the unit was beautiful. Nice furnishings, fully equipped kitchen and a great view of the water. We have no complaints about the unit. However, they are situated at the top of a very steep hill and we had no car as we arrived by boat. After having dinner at the Mansion, we asked if they had a shuttle to the Residences. One of the front desk employees said no. When I suggested that they look into providing transportation in the future, one of the other employees agreed to give us a ride. Not quite the customer service I was expecting when you are paying 400+ a night. I suggest the resort look into purchasing some golf carts so they can take their guests around when needed.

We ate at the mansion twice and the food and service was good. We also used the indoor hot tub and found they do not have enough changing rooms to accomodate everyone. This could have been due to construction that was going on at the time.

Overall, the property seems to be made up of many different types of accomodations and is very spread out. This leads to a very disjointed feel. If we do return we will try staying in the more moderate priced rooms and lower our expectations.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank vacation0410
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We were quite impressed by the natural beauty of the lodge -- and the view from the restaurant is simply spectacular -- but the rooms were in need of a solid touch up for the price asked. In our rooms, there was a moldy smell and paint cracking off the walls. We were surprised given what we've heard of the Rosario.

However, en balance, the ease of flying in via helicopter directly from Seattle made this the most attractive property in the area. Plus, the nearby hiking was stellar.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Calif0rnia007
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
I noticed this guest stayed in August 2011. I am happy to say all of our guest rooms are currently being remodeled!

Christopher Peacock
Rosario Resort & Spa
West Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Stayed in the basic hotel room with a partial view of the bay on which the resort is located. We were pleasantly surprised. Our initial reaction was of a resort that was aging and needed attention. Our first interaction, getting lunch in the cafe was underwhelming as the person who took an order from us was decidedly unhelpful. In contrast, the food was good and our spirits brightened. Then, we found our room nicely clean with a new k-size bed that turned out to be very comfortable. We ate a lite supper in the lounge of the mansion's restaurant, where the food was good and the service fine. As I sit on our small deck this morning, sipping coffee and writing this review, my wife and I are pleased to report that our over-night experience at the Rosario has been nice. We can recommend this spot.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank psteg
Shoreline, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

Arrived by boat and the marine accommodation was very good. The old manor house is very interesting, the daily organ recital and history lesson on the Manor is a "must see", and dinner at the restaurant was great ambiance, and good food.
But the highlight was the 2 bedroom apartment we had in the "Residences" building on the property. This was truly outstanding with great views, great beds, spacious, well equipped, etc. It was really the way you would want it to be if you owned it personally.
The rest of the Island has many attractions. The town of Eastsound is a really nice destination and the view from the top of the mountain in Moran State park are terrific.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank George98177
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
#3 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Edenwild Boutique Inn
Edenwild Boutique Inn
#1 of 2 in Lopez Island

Been to Rosario Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!