“Yellow Island Day Trip”

Shearwater Kayak Tours
Ranked #1 of 10 Tours in Eastsound
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore the San Juan Islands by kayak with Shearwater! Guided tours in stable, 2-person kayaks. Seals, bald eagles, otters, & porpoise are common wildlife sightings. Morning, afternoon, & evening 3-hr tours; or pack a lunch and join a Day Trip. Custom group tours can be tailored to your needs. Special tours include: spring wildflowers and moonlight kayaking. Call now for info and reservations!
Reviewed 22 May 2013

A friend and I did a kayaking day trip with our guide Alan and his friend, Lori. Since it was just us four, we had a terrific day with great weather, individual attention and shared lots of interesting information. Alan e-mailed photos to us, since neither of us brought a camera. They too turned out beautifully. I would highly recommend this company for tours of any kind ! They alsways responded to phone calls and e-mails in a timely manner before the trip and were superb on the day of the trip ! The follow up photos, already mentioned, were the proverbial icing on the cake !

All reviews
"bald eagles"
in 21 reviews
"sucia island"
in 17 reviews
"would recommend this to anyone"
in 4 reviews
"smaller islands"
in 4 reviews
"great outing"

Reviewed 23 September 2012

I was a little wary about kayaking. Maybe a little afraid of dunking in the water. This did not turn out to be the case, and if we had, we had very good instruction about what to do if we did fall in.
The trip was fun. My husband and I were both first time kayakers. Luckily we got great instructions from our guide before embarking on our tour.
We saw a couple of bald eagles and some harbor seals, oh, and some jelly fish. The weather was perfect and the water was amazing.
All in all the trip was a lot of fun and my arms weren't even sore the next day. The only thing I had a problem with was hearing the guide. He was a wealth of information, I just couldn't hear all he had to say.
Thanks for the wonderful experience and if we return to Orcas Island, we will be sure and look you up again!

3  Thank Cindy V
Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

It might be the time of year but we only saw one harbor seal. There were no birds either. Nice row & good staff but kind of dull.

Jeff Z, Owner at Shearwater Kayak Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed our guide and wish you had seen more wildlife. Unfortunately, the wildlife is unpredictable and there are seasonal changes. We usually see more than a single seal on each tour, but there are those trips when all the wildlife seems to be taking the day off. Even on those rare trips with few wildlife sightings, the islands and shorelines here provide a beautiful setting for kayaking.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

My extended family and I went kayaking with Shearwater Kayak Tours during our recent visit up to Orcas Island. It was a group of 8 ranging from age 7 to 75! Almost all of us either had absolutely no experience or very little experience with kayaking. Shearwater recommended one of their more calm routes which took us around the Wasp Islands. After a very thorough explanation of kayaking by our awesome guide, Jeff, we were off on our 3-hour tour. We all had an amazing time, and got unique views of the islands. We were lucky enough to see wildlife including a harbor porpoise and bald eagles. Definitely an unforgettable outing and would highly recommend to anyone considering this as an activity in the San Juan Islands.

4  Thank ChrisK4
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I can only tell you our experience:

Left two messages to begin with and it took almost two weeks for someone to return my call.
Booked four months in advance for husband’s birthday for the Sucia Island trip.
Never had one call informing us they no longer do the Sucia Island trip.
Called two weeks prior to confirm and was actually told by female answering the phone “. . .we no longer book that trip but you are still on, you will be the last ones going, congratulations.” She actually said congratulations and that stuck in my mind.
Days prior to the trip I received messages from different people until I finally figured out that we were not going on the Sucia trip but that they had changed it to a day trip out of Deer Harbour without our consent. How hard is it to actually say to someone “ We have stopped going to Sucia, what would you like to do?”
We showed up on time tired from an amazing horseback ride the day before and decided to ask the guide if we could switch to a three hour tourin the afternoon if there was one available? I figured since they were so laid back and unorganized that and since they cancelled our original trip perhaps we could switch out or cancel.
The young guide at Deer Harbor Marina could use some serious people skills. We were met with unbelievable resistance, rudeness and threats to charge us anyway all before I could explain our situation. Wow. My husband actually had to put his foot down to get this person to pay attention fully to my request. We were perfectly willing to be told that there were no openings with no hard feelings. But we were not willing to be charged. I ended up having to call the Shearwater office(wherever that may be) from the Shearwater office at the Marina. Why couldn’t this guide tell us this to begin with? If he had no authority why not just tell us we would have to call the main office?
At this point you may say, I get what I get. We should have just cancelled.
They allowed us to reschedule that day for an afternoon 3 hour trip.
We did not have the same guide. We got a guide who proceeded to label us “The Cancellations” in front of everyone one while she was showing us how to get in the kayak. Oh, and this was after we paid her and included 20% gratuity hoping to still have a good experience. Clearly graciousness is not a part of this woman’s psychological makeup.
I have been canoeing, rafting, mountain biking, snorkeling with paid guides in Chania, Greece, skydiving in Perris California, and more. I don’t need a thirty-two year old who pretentiously lives in a yurt to preach to me her philosophy of life while we are trying to enjoy the water. We are not rich we just try to experience life but I know how people should behave and these kids in charge of kayaking groups need to pull up their bootstraps and behave with a little more patience and class and less arrogance.

15  Thank JenMethvin
Jeff Z, Owner at Shearwater Kayak Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

Shearwater has offered a wide variety of kayak tours in the San Juan Islands for 30 years. In that time we have had a vast majority of positive experiences and responses from our guests. It’s unfortunate that this reviewer’s experience was different, and I wish it had been otherwise. We have people and groups that return year after year to kayak with us, and we are happy that people enjoy our tours so much that they make that choice.

I did not personally interact with this reviewer, so I will not address each of her points. However, the following quotes are from reviews involving one of the guides mentioned here and another canceled trip.

“He was a great guide, and added a lot to the trip. We saw bald eagles, a sea lion and porpoises. It was a really nice trip. The companies are well organized and I'd recommend the trip to anyone!” online review

“The day of the trip was brutal and blustery, so we had to cancel, but Shearwater was wonderful by re-booking 8 of us for the next day (July 4, a holiday!) and they accommodated another 2 of us per my request.”
online review

Of course, these quotes do not change this reviewer’s experience, and I do wish that she had enjoyed her trip with us. Our goal is to share our love of kayaking, wildlife, and the San Juan Islands with everyone who joins our tours.