“Nice family spot in beautiful location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of West Beach Resort

West Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Eastsound
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stanwood, Washington, United States
“Nice family spot in beautiful location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

We just got back from three nights there. We took our RV and stayed in the trailer sites. This is definitely a family location, with lots of children playing games and riding bikes around. Although busy it was not full. The staff we very helpful and accommodating. The little store is nice and reasonably stocked. Even thought they didn't have two things we looked for, the staff provided both to us out of their personal supplies. Above and beyond in my book. Thank you! The only reason this is not five stars is the hit tub. We bought passes to use, inexpensive, but the tub was closed for maintenance the whole time. Not really their fault if it was broken, but they should have told us when we bought the pass. They did remove e charge from our tab when I checked out. I will happily stay there again the next time I get a chance to travel to Orcas Island!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Warren P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

We just love going to West Beach every summer. The staff are so kind and friendly. The rustic cabins waterfront are my favorite. My family stayed there many summers during my childhood years and so I have lots of fond memories of West Beach. The owners have done a great job of upgrading whilst keeping a clean and simple feel to the property. I cannot wait to go back and I always hate to leave. We have stayed in many (but not all) and each cabin has it's pro's and con's. I cannot recommend one over another. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. My heart belongs at West Beach forever!

Room Tip: call ahead and ask the staff to recommend one among the openings
Green Features: glad they are recycling! would be nice to have additional trash and recycling receptacles around the property as well
2 Thank MaryPatAndJesse
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

We came with our family to Orcas Island for the first time to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. Website pictures built our anticipation but our time together at West Beach far exceeded any anticipated experience we imagined we would have together. The setting is lovely; the 2 bedroom beach front cottage (#7) was a delightfully cozy refuge. Walks on the beach, beach front log fires with the family - were relaxing and renewing. But the atmosphere created by this family-owned resort radiates a commitment to providing the best experience a person, a family could ask for. We spoke with fellow guests who grew up on the island and worked at West Beach during their high school summers. Then as adults with a family they brought their kids to West Beach to build new memories and then during our visit, they introduced us to their grandchildren blowing huge bubbles at the water's edge. This family's tradition speaks volumes about the legacy this resort and its staff is committed to creating day after day. Will we come back... yes, but not often enough!

Room Tip: If you want amazing views, a cozy, roomy and comfortable beachfront 2 Bedroom Deluxe cottage #7 can...
1 Thank GordonGJr
Texarkana, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Our son and DIL booked one of the larger deluxe cabins for all 5 of us over a June weekend. PERFECT accomodations ... two bedrooms, daybed for our other adult daughter, and a futon. Absolutely beautiful view through huge windows overlooking the water. Spotlessly clean, kitchen well stocked, attractive deck and firepit where we roasted s'mores, lovely comfortable beds with variety of pillows. We'd forgotten our coffee grinder and the office loaned us one! The friendly office staff provided help and advice re: fishing, kayaking, canoeing... all of which we enjoyed. A perfect, perfect getaway.

Dupont, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

We came for my 60th birthday. We enjoyed our stay with one exception, which affected my experience.
I'd asked for a non-smoking and non-animal room, since I have had allergic reaction to cat hair, saliva, dander. My husband is sensitive as well.
We were confirmed in #14. My nose ran the whole time we were in the cabin. I didn't realize until I looked at the cabin literature in the cabin on our last day that we'd been put in an animal friendly cabin.
I think it's great you have this option for families with pets. But this was an unfortunate mistake that affected the enjoyment of the trip for me.
I loved the notebook you've worked hard to provide describing your resort and this beautiful island - and the comfortable bed!

Room Tip: Rooms off the beach might be quieter. We had little noise there. Be sure to double confirm whether...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marsha B
JoeBish, Manager at West Beach Resort, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
We appreciate this review and apologize for any misunderstanding or any unpleasant experience. To clarify, all of our units are strictly non-smoking. Some are pet-friendly. We take great pride in our cleanliness record in all units, especially our pet-friendly units, but we appreciate that some guests may still be sensitive to animal occupants no matter how clean the unit is. It is for this reason that we have strictly "no pets" units. This guest had requested "cabin 14 or 15" on the online form, and the system booked #14. Had we known in advance that this guest did not want a pet-friendly unit we would have of course taken immediate action and reserved #15, the strictly "no pets" unit. We will work on updating our website to include specifically which units allow pets and which do not.
Kirkland, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

I planned on off-season weekend for my husband's birthday here in early March. The staff is very nice and helpful. I like that it does not feel like a "resort" as I know them (although I think most San Juan Island "resorts" should always be in quotes...they tend to be quaint, which is fine by me). The cabins are very clean, well-stocked for cooking, comfortable furniture, etc. We stayed in the smallest rustic cabin the first time, then booked a weekend with the in-laws in one of the larger and more deluxe cabins (i.e. more modern decoration, TV/boom-box with AUX plug-in, so I was happy I could play my i-pod). Was very happy with both! The negative reviews that knock the campsites etc....well, if the state park is full, I think this would be a great alternative. Although, for a campsite, Moran State Park or Doe Bay Resort would definitely be better. But when on the island, I'd be planning to spend my time canoeing, hiking, etc. so a place to lay my head in a tent would be all I would expect. So back off camping complainers! If you want a more hippy feel, go to Doe Bay Resort which is very cool. We would certainly stay again. They have possible plans to install a better hot tub area. I would give them a "5" if they do. The one they do have was out of order on our second trip out, and it's really just a small, house-sized hot tub with a wooden bench beside it.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

If looking for a 5 star resort, go elsewhere. If looking for peace, quiet, & a place little ones can play on the beach, keep reading. Have been coming here for 30 years and observed the resort evolve from scuba divers hideaway to a family treasure. Situated on the NW corner of Orcas Island, along a rocky beach with.a fantastic pier, mooring docks in the summer & buoys Gas, kayak and boat rentals.

Room Tip: reserve in advance, limited availability during summer no wifi in cabins, office area only no TV...
Green Features: aside from the resort efforts, note: wildlife preserve setting is excellent self serve garbage take out pets on leash maintain you fire with care
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
#3 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Rosario Resort and Spa
Rosario Resort and Spa
#1 of 5 in Eastsound

Been to West Beach Resort? Share your experiences!