“I highly recommend the Bartwood to everybody”
Review of Bartwood Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Eastsound
Bartwood Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Eastsound
Fox Island, WA.
Reviewed 12 June 2005

I have been coming to the Bartwood for the last year, I come up to the Island to visit family members & have stayed at different Hotels & Lodges on the Island, they were dirty, the people were not very helpful, they sometimes seemed like I was bothering them if I asked them anything at all. Then I went to the Bartwood Lodge, the first time I knew I was hooked the owners treated me like I was there best friend, very friendly, very helpful, I felt like I was staying at a $1000.00 a night Hotel, (seriously). The room was exceptionally clean, cozy, the views are beautiful, the sunsets are breathtakng. Osprey kayaking is right there, so I just told them I wanted to go paddling & off we went to watch the sunset. There is a boat launch, & a dock, and Bald Eagles, big birds, little birds, otters, shells on the shore. You are just going to have to check it out for yourself, trust me you will be glad you did.

• Stayed: June 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 28 March 2005

My husband and I, and our two dogs stayed for two nights in this "Lodge". I had made reservations for this "motel" months ago because it is one of the few places on Oracs Island that allow pets. The week prior to our arrival, I left two messages with the managment re: possible cancellation or re-scheduling. I never heard back from them. There is no mention on their web site or on the reservation confirmation card re: their cancellation policy. It was a cold and rainy day when we arrived at the motel, there was a sign on the door for the office stating that if there is no one in the office to call them on the phone located under the stairs. Be mindful that the office and the stairs are outdoors. We arrived at 10:30am and we wanted to put our stuff away so that we could explore the island. We were informed that check-in was at 3:30pm (also not stated anywhere!). We were also told that housekeeping had not arrived as of yet and that we were going to be staying in room 24, whose occupants just left. So, we had to leave and come back later. As we scanned the parking lot, we noticed that there was No One in the parking lot, thus no one else was staying here. Why was it that we had to stay in one particular room? None of the other rooms were made up? When we returned later in the day and called once again on the phone under the stairs, a teenage boy drove up and checked us in. He charged our card for the entire stay. When I had asked if it was possible if we could cut our stay short, he said that we would be charged for the entire stay because they were not given 24 hours notice. I tried calling them the week prior re: cancelling and never got a return call. How could I cancel? Also, this place charged $20.00 per dog, per night! (We have stayed at the Four Seasons, the Westin and even Best Western and they Never charged such a high price to have your best friend with you. In fact, the Four Seasons and Westin didn't even charge us!!) We ended up staying at the Bartwood and the room was very, very clean. The doors do not have secure locks and are very flimsy and the bathroom vanity desparately needs to be replaced. The room was rather small, but I did appreciate the cleanliness and the refrigerator. Would I return to this "lodge",....probably not.

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank Beazie
Carlsbad, CA
Reviewed 23 March 2005

This quaint little lodge on the north shore of Orcas has a wonderful view of Sucia Island across the water. It is situated so that, from the dock, one can watch the sunrise in the East and the sunset in the West, as the sun dips behind the Islands.

The family-run lodge features clean rooms which are nicely appointed. The lodge is minutes from Orcas Airport and Eastsound, where shops and restaurants can be found. The owners, Shelley and Kenny and their children are very friendly and helpful.

The setting feels almost rural. Great place for a quiet getaway!

• Stayed: June 2004
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Encinitas, California
Reviewed 29 January 2005

Just got back from a trip to the Pacific Northwest. The highlight of the trip was beautiful Orcas Island. We stayed at the Bartwood Lodge because it was recomended by a friend. The people were very friendly, the place is nice and clean but best of all it is in a wonderful location with stunning views of the water. I would highly recomend this place to anyone wanting a peaceful spot with great surroundings and views. I can hardly wait to return in the spring!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 7 September 2004

Bartwood was such a peaceful and welcoming resort. We'd planned to spend our time on San Juan Island but decided to try Orcas - what a difference! Our resort in San Juan was dirty, expensive and on a main road. Bartwood is just far enough from the center of town to feel like you've escaped, but actually close enough to ride a bike. The room was much larger than I expected (and very clean) and had a beautiful deck that ran the length of the resort right on the water. Evenings and early morning are especially wonderful as the herons and shorebirds put on a wonderful show.

We ran out of time for kayaking, but Kenny and Shelley, the new owners, would have been happy to set it up for us. They were warm, welcoming and full of wonderful information about the island.

We are definately planning a return trip.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Garden City, Idaho
Reviewed 25 August 2004

We chose the Barwood based on a few pictures on its website, it's location on the very northern edge of Orcas, and principally because of a phone conversation with its new owners Kenny and Shelley Sides.

We visited Orcas in Late May, 2004, and were very fortunate to arrive with good weather, allowing us to get out and enjoy this beautiful island.

Both Kenny and Shelley were extremely helpful and seemed genuinely concerned that we enjoy our stay there. There seemed to be a lot of renovation going on although there were no disturbances while we were there. I discussed their plans with Kenny who told me he was very enthusiastic about all the great things they want to do to the place. If what they have done to the bridal suite that we were fortunate to get is an indication, then the Bartwood is likely going to be the premier lodge on the island very soon.

We were very comfortable and cozy in our well-appointed room and enjoyed the firm and obviously new mattress.

Evidently the Bartwood has been chosen as the accomodations for a series of photography workshops to be given in September by some world reknown photographer whose name I don't recall. For our money, they couldn't have chosen better.

The one seeming disappointment was that the restaurant on the property was closed. After talking to a few neighbors, I decided we needn't be too disappointed; it seemed the owners of the restaurant were fairly stretched beyond their resources and service was sporadic and rare.

If you visit Orcas, you should definitely consider Bartwood Lodge!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 25 August 2004

The view from our room was unbelievable! The people were very helpful and gave us great suggestions for dinner. The manager set up a kayaking trip right from the beach outside our room. I would highly recommend the Bartwood Lodge to anyone visiting Orcas Island.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
#10 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Orcas Hotel
Orcas Hotel
#1 of 1 in Orcas

Been to Bartwood Lodge? Share your experiences!