“Thing to consider about the Bartwood”
Review of Bartwood Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Eastsound
Bartwood Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Eastsound
Reviewed 23 July 2007

My husband, 11 year old daughter and I just returned from a 2 night stay on Orcas Island. We stayed in room 21 at the Bartwood Lodge after doing some research online. I noted that most of the other reviews of this property were hit and miss and were from a couple of years ago. Decided to give it a go as we were looking for something with direct beach access. The location of this property is the selling point. At the Bartwood you are a 5 minute drive to Eastsound, the island's largest community and commercial hub, but you are right on the beach (north view) and the views can't be beat. Our weather was unseasonably drizzly and overcast, but the view was still very impressive. There is a long dock for guest use. The beach is rocky rather than sandy and has large eroded sandstone outcroppings just to the east. These make great tidal pools at low tide and we spent a lot of time identifying all of the inhabitants. Be sure to bring appropriate footwear as there are lots of barnacles and some slippery footing. We also sighted sea otters early one morning, a heron taking off right from the beach in front of our room and lots of eagle activity. We saw all of this just looking out the window of our room. We were on the upper floor and though we didn't have a deck, other rooms did have direct access to the shared upper deck. A large deck also encircles the lower floor and was close enough that we didn't notice the lack of deck off of our room. The room was decent size and had two queen beds, an armoire with TV and a small table with two chairs. The beds were adequately comfortable, the linens were decent and the room had such amenites as a CD player, clock radio, hair dryer, TV, microwave, mini fridge and coffee pot. Notably absent were coat hangers for the single hanging bar (no closet), a phone (though there was a guest phone in the lobby) and a mirror in the bathroom (the only mirror was over the sink in the sleeping area). The room (and entire property in fact) could use some TLC. The carpets were a bit worn, it could do with a fresh coat of paint and some maintenance (put a light fixture back over the bulbs in the bathroom and replace the shower head which was useless). The windows needed a good cleaning but otherwise housekeeping seemed adequate. The young woman who manned the front desk was very friendly and helpful. A little updating would make this a top form property, but as it stands, you should only book here if your priority is the beach access and the views. I will do more research on other properties before returning to Orcas Island, but I would not rule out staying at the Bartwood again. A dining note: we had excellent meals on the island. Of particular note was dinner at Lu Lu's Pasta Rustica. The staff and the food were outstanding. A nice restaurant that was still family friendly.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank gmwann

Reviewed 8 June 2007

The location is great. The beach and the view were all you could expect. The commercial area of East Sound is less than 10 minutes away. The condition of the facility shows considerable wear and aging. Poor door fit, carpets worn, light switch plate uncovered.
Our room had a great view and good beds. The drapes needed replacing. There was no closet, only a hanger bar without hangers. The furniture was ok, including a coffee pot, refrigerator and micro-wave.
We spent 2 days and had to chase down towels and wash rags both days. The room had no kleenex or paper towels. The towel rack kept falling off, by the sink which was located in the sleeping area. The second day, the beds were neatly made. The bath floor and the rug were not vaccumed. It was hard to find anyone for help. The manager was very nice and cordial.
Overall for the price, the lodge did not meet our expectations.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Bricker7
Reviewed 4 July 2006

We are just back from a 4 night stay. Bartwood Lodge sits on a wonderful, peaceful beach (rocky, not sandy though). The kids had a wonderful time on the beach while I watched from the comfort of the deck. We saw a bald eagle everyday we were there. The rooms were clean and very nice. Especially for a beachfront property. I've seen some real dives at Ocean Shores. It is true that the vanities are small, but I didn't think the walls were thin. As far as the door locks, they were fine. We never even locked our patio door. Also, there are times that there is no one in the front office, but all you have to do is call. There was usually always someone in the upstairs office. Everyone was very friendly. There are tennis courts, a dock and a boat launch. The lodge is just a short drive from Eastsound which is great for walking, shopping and eating. We drove out to Rosario one day, and honestly, I would rather stay at Bartwood. It's not a resort; more of a motel. But the location can't be beat.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
5  Thank hambirg
Reviewed 29 August 2005

The Bartwood Lodge has a nice view, and is lower priced than a lot of places on Orcas Island, but the rooms are run-down and neglected, and the walls are paper thin.

We cut our stay there short and found other accommodation on Orcas.

9  Thank markOttawa_Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2005

Just returned from 4 days on Orcas. Stayed at the Bartwood Lodge-just outside of Eastsound. We found the hotel to be an excellent place to stay-not fancy but comfortable; our room looked right out on the water. Each day we took a very nice two mile walk into Eastsound for coffee. Teasers Cafe and the Main Street Bakery are excellent breakfast spots. Main Street prepared some great sandwiches for our hike in Moran State Park. We had dinner at Bilbos-tex mex food which my wife found to be very good (I am not an expert on tex mex!); we also had a wonderful dinner at Roses in Eastsound. If you go be sure and stop for lunch at the Westsound Cafe on the way to Deer Harbor-great food and views. We had dinner at the Deer Harbor Inn-great views-the food was good but not exceptional. The public library in Eastsound is wonderful-a beautiful building with free internet access and open daily. Also if you are in Orcas, visit the farmers market held on Saturdays beginning at 10:00 am-excellent produce and crafts for sale.

13  Thank Kirbyp
A TripAdvisor Member
Fox Island, WA.
Reviewed 12 June 2005

I have been coming to the Bartwood for the last year, I come up to the Island to visit family members & have stayed at different Hotels & Lodges on the Island, they were dirty, the people were not very helpful, they sometimes seemed like I was bothering them if I asked them anything at all. Then I went to the Bartwood Lodge, the first time I knew I was hooked the owners treated me like I was there best friend, very friendly, very helpful, I felt like I was staying at a $1000.00 a night Hotel, (seriously). The room was exceptionally clean, cozy, the views are beautiful, the sunsets are breathtakng. Osprey kayaking is right there, so I just told them I wanted to go paddling & off we went to watch the sunset. There is a boat launch, & a dock, and Bald Eagles, big birds, little birds, otters, shells on the shore. You are just going to have to check it out for yourself, trust me you will be glad you did.

• Stayed: June 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 March 2005

My husband and I, and our two dogs stayed for two nights in this "Lodge". I had made reservations for this "motel" months ago because it is one of the few places on Oracs Island that allow pets. The week prior to our arrival, I left two messages with the managment re: possible cancellation or re-scheduling. I never heard back from them. There is no mention on their web site or on the reservation confirmation card re: their cancellation policy. It was a cold and rainy day when we arrived at the motel, there was a sign on the door for the office stating that if there is no one in the office to call them on the phone located under the stairs. Be mindful that the office and the stairs are outdoors. We arrived at 10:30am and we wanted to put our stuff away so that we could explore the island. We were informed that check-in was at 3:30pm (also not stated anywhere!). We were also told that housekeeping had not arrived as of yet and that we were going to be staying in room 24, whose occupants just left. So, we had to leave and come back later. As we scanned the parking lot, we noticed that there was No One in the parking lot, thus no one else was staying here. Why was it that we had to stay in one particular room? None of the other rooms were made up? When we returned later in the day and called once again on the phone under the stairs, a teenage boy drove up and checked us in. He charged our card for the entire stay. When I had asked if it was possible if we could cut our stay short, he said that we would be charged for the entire stay because they were not given 24 hours notice. I tried calling them the week prior re: cancelling and never got a return call. How could I cancel? Also, this place charged $20.00 per dog, per night! (We have stayed at the Four Seasons, the Westin and even Best Western and they Never charged such a high price to have your best friend with you. In fact, the Four Seasons and Westin didn't even charge us!!) We ended up staying at the Bartwood and the room was very, very clean. The doors do not have secure locks and are very flimsy and the bathroom vanity desparately needs to be replaced. The room was rather small, but I did appreciate the cleanliness and the refrigerator. Would I return to this "lodge",....probably not.

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank Beazie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
#1 of 2 in Lopez Island
Rosario Resort and Spa
Rosario Resort and Spa
#2 of 5 in Eastsound

Been to Bartwood Lodge? Share your experiences!