“Kangaroo House”

Kangaroo House Bed & Breakfast on Orcas Island
Ranked #1 of 12 Eastsound B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Kangaroo House B and B made our Orcas Island weekend getaway incredible! We stayed in the Northern Flicker suite, complete with beautiful linens and a nice little sitting area with a TV and DVD's. (although we had no time to watch TV!) The location is perfect, close enough to downtown Eastsound, easily walkable if you want to explore and very close if you want to drive. The breakfast, the hot tub, the hosts (Charles and Jill) all PERFECT! The food was gourmet 5 stars....each day I thought, it can't be as good as yesterday, when are they going to get tired and serve us muffins from the supermarket. NEVER happened! Everything from scratch and perfectly presented with wonderful attention to detail! (I love that) Orcas Island proved to be a fabulous destination for mountain biking in Moran State park. Maybe not for everyone, but perfect for me! Lots of hiking trails too, and gorgeous vistas and lakes. We ate dinner at the Shipyard Inn - SUPER good and the Leaf Cafe, also wonderful. Lunch at Cafe Mia, crazy good fresh made food and then we went shopping at Olga's and the book store. There were plenty of small shops to keep us occupied and entertained. I will return to Orcas and I will stay again at Kangaroo Inn, and recommend it to everyone without hesitation.

Room Tip: I like the Northern Flicker Suite because it has a separate sitting area with TV/DVD and 2 large bed...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeanette R

Reviewed 10 October 2011

We needed a little overnight getaway from the hustle and bustle of what we call everyday life, so I did my research online to find the best place on Orcas Island. I originally had another B&B selected but this one kept pulling me in online. I read the reviews and something about it pulled me in. Wow was I glad. Now I have been to a few B&B's but my friend has not. She was a little nervous and didn't know what to expect. When we got there Charles was there to greet us and show us around. We stayed in the Steller's Jay Suite and what a wonderful place. There was a seperate sitting/changing room and a very nice bathroom. Not huge by any means but very charming. The bed was so comfortable and we loved the little touches throughout the suite. We also enjoyed all the books in every room. We took a late night dip in the hot tub (ask for 2 flashlights and a lantern as there are no lights or lighted pathway, also bring flipflops as you have to walk on dirt and grass to get there). The hot tub was pretty secluded and very comfy. In the morning we woke up to a great breakfast with fresh fruit, apple and rhubarb crisp, and a German (I think it was German) hashbrown thing stuffed with herbs and cheese with a side of sweet baked bacon. That's the highlight of this B&B for me, getting the opportunity to try something new and enjoy their delicious breakfast. We also loved watching all the birds feeding right outside the window. Overall we really enjoyed our time here and my friend is a B&B fan. She already wants to plan another trip here. Charles and Jill are wonderful hosts and we will be back. Btw we ate at New Leaf Cafe for dinner (crab cakes, salmon dinner, and seafood pot were all perfectly made- we highly recommend them).

Room Tip: Steller's Jay Suite has a sitting room that separates the bedroom from the bathroom. It is locat...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrcruz23
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Charles and Jill make their B&B their home, so it is like visiting them to stay there. The greatest stars in the USA are out at their hot tub late and night. My husband loved watching the planes take off in daytime, too. Walk to Eastsound or to the community center and then drive to Moran and Olga. Lots of advice and good food from the owners as if they're your long lost cousins. We also met some international guest there and got to talk to Charles about architecture and the history of the house. LOVELY.

Room Tip: Each room is named for a bird, so pick your favorite.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Charles and Jill are wonderful hosts. The breakfast is amazing. One morning Charles made a fresh blackberry sauce for our pancakes, about 20 minutes prior to serving. It was delicious! He even gave us a second helping. We enjoyed talking with Charles and Jill after breakfast, they are so friendly and have plenty of interesting things to talk about. All the food was very flavorful and nicely plated. We stayed in the Gold Finch room. Our room was very clean, and comfortable, however, a little dark. I loved the bathroom, it had so much character and plenty of sunlight. We definitely felt right at home, especially with the nice deck and front porch to sit and enjoy a glass of wine and a good book. The B&B was also very convenient to town, we had no problems locating it.

1  Thank Justine T
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Charles and Jill welcomed us into their home,gave us a tour of the house & gardens,a bit of history, and pretty much said "our house is your house" . We stached our booze in the fridge, along with our cheese and unpacked before heading out to our dinner reservation that Jill recommended.
Loved the front porch, the secret hot tub,and did I tell you about the breakfast? Wow! I love to cook, and the reason I booked this B&B was because of the food. Well, let me tell you, Charles & Jill's cooking will not disappoint. Three courses for breakfast, all fresh and homemade. A great start for the day:)
Get those chickens Jill!
We will be back,
Tom and Nancy

Reviewed 27 August 2011

Charming house, centrally located - very close to both restaurants and amenities in Eastsound, as well as proximate to kayaking off north side of island. Hosts were very welcoming, but did not crowd us in any way. Very nicely appointed craftsman, with great porches and nice dining room. Hot tub down long lane in rear was an unexpected plus. Packed nice snacks for our kayaking trip. Library has nice selection of books, and cool dvd collection in rooms. I do not like fussy B&B's - this one fit the bill perfectly.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We biked from the ferry dock to Eastsound and were so happy to land at Kangaroo House and have a much deserved soak in the hot tub. We did not want to get out of that comfortable bed the next morning, but were very glad we did when we tasted the yummy breakfast. We loved it and will be back again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
#3 of 11 in Orcas Island
Rosario Resort and Spa
Rosario Resort and Spa
#2 of 5 in Eastsound

Been to Kangaroo House Bed & Breakfast on Orcas Island? Share your experiences!