“Wonderful in all aspects!”

Kangaroo House Bed & Breakfast on Orcas Island
Ranked #1 of 12 Eastsound B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 September 2013

One of the best B & B's we have stayed! The hosts are charming, friendly, and helpful! The breakfasts are healthy and absolutely gourmet delicious! Private hot tub on the property was delightful! We loved it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RitaCtraveler

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Spent 3 nights in the Stellar's Jay suite at the Kangaroo House. We immediately fell in love with the craftsman-style inn with it's large porch, beautiful public rooms and our suite. The Stellar's Jay suite is composed of 3 rooms: entry/sitting area (with lovely stained glass window), king bedroom and private bathroom. There is a refrigerator in the common area for all to use and glassware is provided for tea, coffee, and wine.

Charles was an excellent host and we even got to say hello to Campbell, the resident canine. The breakfasts were fantastic and quite substantial. Fresh, local, organic ingredients - everything was so delicious! The breakfasts usually started with seasonal fruit, then a savory course, then a muffin/tart/fruit crisp.

The Inn was within walking distance of North Beach (a lovely, flat, rocky beach with beautiful views) and the village of Eastsound. You could definitely leave your car at the Inn and walk around.

Orcas is a beautiful island and our stay at the Kangaroo House made it even more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Stellar's Jay is the largest room at the Inn.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cabowoo
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for a wonderful two-night get-away. Charles made us feel right at home, our room (Nuthatch) was perfect, and the breakfasts were scrumptious. We both loved the location, and Charles was a great tour director for us. I cannot more highly recommend this outstanding accommodation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bassetlover54
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed three nights at the Kangaroo House. I always do extensive research on where to stay, as that seems to have the most bearing on how much I enjoy my vacation. I mostly travel solo. So, in a nutshell:
Location- IDEAL
Hosts - AMAZING
Rooms & Food - AWESOME
Details: The location in Eastsound has to be the best on the island. You are not far from the ferry and in the center of the island. So either side of Orcas is easily accessible. I drove out to Doe Bay and was so glad I didn't choose to stay there. Mostly families with young children and the drive out was lengthy. Not much else out there. By contrast, Eastsound is a town, with shops and restaurants. Center of town is only a five minute drive from the B&B. Kangaroo House is down a ways from the village, so there is utter peace and quiet (except for a few buzzing planes). You can hear the wind in the trees and be surrounded by green gardens. To sit on the porch and relax is THE way to spend time off! There is a small library in the B&B; also one of my favorite places to hang out. Crammed with books and charming; it was hard to decide whether to read indoors or out!
Hosts & Food: Both Jill and Charles are knowledgeable, friendly, and available to help with any questions. Charles made a lot of great suggestions on which hikes to take and Jill advised me on restaurants in town. Both obviously love what they do and work beautifully as a team. Having B&B hosts like this is essential, if this is your first visit to the Island! The breakfasts every day were absolutely gourmet. They looked and tasted like dishes that should be served to the Queen - varied, organic, full of green things from the garden (even the garnishes and flowers were edible!). I sometimes like to hide in my room when I am traveling by myself and everyone else is in couples (as is usually the case) but Jill and Charles made me feel welcome and comfortable in my solo-ness!
I loved my room with it's enclosed bed and swoopy curtains. Very pirate shippy!
Only suggestion to J&C: Kleenex and moisturizer in room? Thanks for the conditioner!
P.S. The Kitchen was a great place to eat!
P.S.P.S. Be sure to stop by the bakery in town. Amazing sticky buns and pastries!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Nuthatch room on the second floor. Charles was kind enough to haul my suitcase up f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank dancingcloud33
Reviewed 15 July 2013

What a cool place! Jill greeted us when we arrived, immediately making us feel at home. We stayed in the Stellar's Jay, perfect for two couples or mom, dad and kids. Breakfast meals were wonderful with fresh, local fruit, a very nice entree and home baked goods. Jill and Charles are very knowledgeable about activities and hiking spots. They directed us to the right places. The beach is a short walk down the road. We would go back in an instant!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Melinda W
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here in June 2012 and had a wonderful experience. We were expecting to be pleased based on all of the great reviews, and they did not disappoint. We arrived late in the evening due to not getting on the ferry we had expected, but this was not a problem...Jill cheerfully greeted us at 10pm and ensured that we had everything we needed before leaving us for the night. We were even able to take a dip in the hot tub, which had a sign-up sheet to ensure all guest an opportunity to use privately. The breakfasts were absolutely fantastic--amazing food. We liked the rhubarb cake so much that they even offered us another helping. We very much enjoyed the conversation with Charles and Jill as we were finishing breakfast, as they have a love for the islands and are very helpful with suggestions for activities. I would highly recommend Kangaroo House for any couple looking for a relaxing getaway!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We could not have imagined a better getaway than our recent long weekend at Kangaroo House. Charles and Jill run an amazing bed & breakfast. The building itself is incredibly charming and full of character, and they've developed it into a comfortable and welcoming space. The breakfasts are scrumptious, satisfying and full of local and/or organic ingredients. Beyond the food, the real secret ingredient to what makes Kangaroo House so great is Charles and Jill. They are exceptional hosts, who are involved with their community and doing interesting things, such as growing their own food. When they found out about our own passion for gardening and permaculture, they invited us along to a local farm-to-table dinner that was an evening to remember. We enjoyed sharing this incredible meal with them and getting to meet other locals. We went to Orcas Island looking for a relaxing break from our daily lives and wound up with so much more, thanks to Charles and Jill (and Campbell, too)!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bocadey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
Discovery Inn
Discovery Inn
#2 of 11 in Friday Harbor
Otters Pond Bed and Breakfast

Been to Kangaroo House Bed & Breakfast on Orcas Island? Share your experiences!