“Wonderful Place to Stay!”

Kangaroo House Bed & Breakfast on Orcas Island
Ranked #1 of 12 Eastsound B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 December 2009

We arrived on Orcas Island just as the tourist season ended in October, 2009 and spent two wonderful nights at Kangaroo House. And, I have to admit, it was one of the best stays we have ever had at a B&B.

The beautiful, early 1900's architectual setting, the coziness of the large common area, the amazing hospitality of the hosts and the unforgetable breakfasts blended seemlessly with the natural beauty of Orcas Island and allowed us to enjoy a most memorable trip to the San Juan Islands.

We found the hosts friendly and helpful when we had questions. We sensed they knew this was "our" getaway and did not try to steer us in a particular direction with one exception... the amazing outdoor hot tub located away from the main house. Oh Yeah!

We research out trips and lodging in an attempt to find comfortable, no pressure, quiet, beautiful settings with professional hosts. We definitely found that combination at Kangaroo House. And yes, you will see us there again!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 October 2009

I really love going to Kangaroo House on Orcas Island. It is a wonderful get-away in the San Juans of the Pacific Northwest. The innkeepers, Charles and Jill, are always friendly and helpful. I've stayed here numerous times and we always so enjoy it! The well-appointed rooms are warm, cozy and appealing with comfortable beds, antique furnishings, warm bedding and plush terrycloth bathrobes. The rest of this wonderful, old Craftsman-style house is filled with nice antiques, comfy chairs by a big fireplace, and nice seating areas. There's always tea and we've always been offered a fire in the fireplace, too. The back yard is screened off from the adjacent properties, with places to walk, sit, and contemplate. There's a big hot tub back there, too, with a sign up sheet so you don't have to share it with other guests. The food is always better than any restaurant I ever go to. Charles cooks scrumptious 3 course breakfasts with organic ingredients whenever they're available. He's able to handle special requests. In my case I require a wheat gluten-free meal and he accommodated it with no problem. The house is within walking distance either to the beach or East Sound village.There are lots of cool places to shop and eat there. I really like the ferry ride to Orcas from the mainland, too. I love being near the water.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M0ee
Reviewed 25 October 2009

We loved the charming Kangaroo Inn and definitely plan to return there. Our rooms were so comfortable and pretty, and the hosts were great. They showed us where to take some beautiful hikes and boat trips around the island, and they cooked amazing gourmet breakfasts every morning (best bacon ever--baked and sort of caramelized with brown sugar). The breakfast room opens onto a sunny deck overlooking a huge back yard filled with flowers and vegetable patches. We even got rhubarb tarts one morning made with rhubarb from their own yard. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2009

While the rooms were very nice, this was an odd B&B experience. Our host was not around when we arrived to check in though it was during regular check in hours. He had left our room keys in the front hall. We had to find everything for ourselves and didn't see him till later that night when he was only mildly cordial.

Breakfast was a disappointment. I had told him on the phone when I made the reservation that my husband needed a high protein diet. We were given a fruit plate, then a fruit crisp and then a potato dish with the only protein being 5 thin slices of chicken sausage. When I said something to our host he gave me a blank look.

I was particularly unhappy about this experience, having been the one to make the arrangements (based on reviews I read on Trip Advisor), since the people we were traveling with stay extensively in B&B's and thought this was one of their poorest experiences.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Woodinvillefoodie
Reviewed 23 September 2009

I loved this place. It was the perfect spot to base our vacation out of -- friendly breakfast to start the day, hot tub to finish it off; Lots to recommend this place. Nice atmosphere, tidy rooms, a reading nook, outdoor deck. But mostly, it was charming and a comfortable place to come and go.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judith021
Reviewed 14 September 2009

We spent four nights at the Kangaroo House, and every morning the breakfast was fantastic. Mutliple courses with lots of fresh, local, organic produce, plus freshly baked pastries each morning. The coffee is locally roasted. We took pictures of the food every morning, it was so beautiful. They must get up at 4am to do it.

The house is really charming. A true arts and crafts home filled with comfy antiques and beautiful artwork. The garden had lots of hidden nooks where you can relax, enjoy the flowers, watch the many birds, or read a good book. There are also a huge guest deck and a deep covered porch in addition to the large living room and library.

The North Beach Trail that runs from the village of Eastsound to North Beach passes by their property. We took the trail up to the beach - only a few blocks away - and enjoyed stunning sunsets every night.

Charles and Jill were incredibly nice. They let us borrow their folding chairs and a picnic basket to take with us, and they helped us find good trails to hike at Mt. Constitution and Turtleback Mountain. Overall, a fantastic stay!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FoodieGirl33
Reviewed 12 September 2009

I must admit that we had been totally spoiled after our stay at the Wildwood Manor B&B on Friday Harbor. (Check out that review on Tripadvisor.) We had just come from there and were expecting just a few "extra touches" from another top rated B&B. Unfortunately, The Kangaroo House did not even come close. First of all, we were told that our room had a view of the backyard which I thought would be charming. We had no idea that it also included a very clear and close view of the landing strip of the Orcas Island airport. At least no planes were flying into the evening, but it was definitely not something that we were expecting. Also, on one side of the property were storage warehouses, not a "charming" location for a B&B. Charles, the innkeeper was very nice and his breakfast selections were superb, but there were no extra touches at all beyond that. The evenings were cold and a nice fire in the family room fireplace would have been a nice touch, but instead, it was empty of wood. Even some candles in the fireplace downstairs would have been nice. Also, there was no tea, snacks or even water available when we came back to the inn after our daytime activities. The inn was basically empty of any of those extra welcoming touches except at breakfast time. Again, I must say that we had been completely spoiled by all of those special touches at the Wildwood Manor B&B. We should have used that Friday Harbor B&B as our base and seen the other islands from there, or we should have stayed at The Turtleback Farm Inn B&B which looked very nice when we drove by and walked in. The one saving grace of this place is the charming, low key, and very helpful innkeeper Charles.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NYGA2
SeattleRooster, Owner and Host at Kangaroo House Bed & Breakfast on Orcas Island, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2009

We are very sorry that these lovely people had a bad experience. A couple of the things they wish we had, we do have, but I must have done a poor job of pointing them out. The always-filled candy dish must not have been obvious. I also remember as I was showing them around the downstairs, I pointed out where we would set out juice, coffee, and tea in the morning. They asked if there would be beverages there in the evening. I said no and then showed them the dining room which always has an instant water pitcher and water sitting atop the guests’ refrigerator and microwave. I should have pointed out specifically since they asked and told them that they could make tea or hot chocolate there whenever they wanted with the assorted bagged teas and packages which are also always available. My fault really. Once, I had a guest say he wished we had a hot tub, which we do - in a beautiful garden setting, but somehow I had managed to tell his wife but not him as he was bringing in the bags.

Our house is nestled in a beautiful 2 acre square of land with a screen of mature trees on all sides that separates us from a direct view of anything. And although you can occasionally hear a small plane zip off, they never fly at night, and there is virtually no place in Eastsound where you won't hear a plane during the day. The barn-like storage units are mostly screened and make for completely silent neighbors.

This was over Labor Day and the following day. It was in the mid sixties during those days and didn't dip down into the upper fifties until well after midnight, and we don't usually light up the fire until there is colder weather.

Once again, we are sorry that we didn't do a better job of taking care of these guests. I am glad that they enjoyed their breakfast.

Best Wishes,
Charles

Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
#3 of 11 in Orcas Island
Rosario Resort and Spa
Rosario Resort and Spa
#2 of 5 in Eastsound

Been to Kangaroo House Bed & Breakfast on Orcas Island? Share your experiences!