“Only as a last resort”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Edmonds
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Only as a last resort”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We ended up spending one night here after a planned stay at a vacation rental came apart at the last minute. ABVI was reasonable ($63.00-Night) but you do get what you pay for. Now for the pros and cons...
Pros -
1. Room was clean but dated. Worn furniture.
2. Bed was surprisingly comfortable but don't look underneath (Yuk!!)
3. Free WIFI worked good.
Cons -
1. Location. Not a good area.
2. Shady characters in the parking lot. Was nervous parking my rental car there.
3. Elevator had a urine smell
4. No breakfast. Just watered down coffee with powdered creamer
5. Dated hallways (At least they're indoor)
6. Only 2 pillows, not comfortable ones either.

Value aways comes a a cost. We were grateful they had a room for us but agreed we could ony do this for one nght. If you have no expectations and just ne a place to sleep, this is your place. If not, don't stay here. Next day we found other lodging.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Coder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
seattle
Reviewed 7 July 2013

we experienced a friendly reception & good response to any question/need.
the room was clean & spacious, sufficiently furnished & not in disrepair.
bath towels were provided upon request & i did not miss a radio/clock,
shampoo or kleenex
only coffee (styrofoam cups + container of sugar & old powdered creamer)
provided in the morning & only 2 pillows,
but the price was very economical (no, i would not have wanted to spend $20-30 more for the
accommodations to be more perfect)
& no problem with parking or complaints
about location or security (except there were no screens on windows, but
air-conditioning was good & came across no offensive tenants or loiterers)
.wi-fi/tv worked good.
our 'non-smoking' room did still had a smoke scent, but elevator, hall & lobby
were quite acceptable = not as bad as some previous reviews imply

Room Tip: it was pleasant on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Carson Valley, Nevada
Reviewed 3 May 2012

TRANSCRIPT OF EMAILS BETWEEN MGR AND GUEST AFTER I COMPLAINED ON AMBVI WEB SITE:
Mr Kim: We are sorry that your stay at the Americas Best Value Inn was not comfortable.
Our housekeepers and staff do their best to ensure all our guests have a pleasant stay
but may have come short that day. We care how our property appears to our guests.
Our parking lot was pressure washed and yards landscaped two weeks ago. Lobby is mopped
every night but unfortunately there times when we come up short. We apologize for your inconvenience and would like to give you a discount of $8If your housekeeping had an off day then there must be a lot of them.
REPLY:The room was absolutely horrible and I will reflect that in my review. There are holes in the bathroom walls, light bulbs didnt work, tv remote didnt work, the pillow might as well not have even been there and trim peeling off walls. The landscaping was terrible. The parking lot has dead cars in it, there was an obvious oil spill covered in cat litter that hadnt been cleaned up, the floors in the lobby were filthy. I was not given any face cloths at towel change on Saturday. The whole experience was one of absolute disgust. I have stayed at AMVI in several places, this one was by far and away the worst. Even your desk clerk said that the manager didnt care what it looked like when I asked her if the rooms were cleaner than the lobby. The room smelled cloyingly of a some kind of spray when we got there. I had to turn on the ac fan to get rid of that smell.
After reading other comments and the Mgr stating that they will fix or retrain, it obviously didnt happen because my complaint is from this weekend 04/27/2012 and i have more complaints about hotel than any of the others put together.

Room Tip: I dont know if there is a good one here. Just choose another place to stay
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Helen N
, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Edmonds/Seattle North, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear Helen N I am truly sorry that you were not satisfied with your accommodations here at our Inn. We do work hard to provide our guests with a clean comfortable room and are disappointed when we fall short of that goal. You never pointed out any of these items while you were staying with us and did not give us a chance to remedy the problems. When you contacted us after your checkout we did offer you a partial refund but you refused to accept the refund saying that it needed to be more. We checked the room after the fact since you did not tell us while you were here and found none of the items you are describing. We apologize for your inconvenience.

Travellers are raving about these Edmonds hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I'm not overly picky when I choose budget hotels like this one, but I do expect them to be clean, comfortable and provide a sense of security...this hotel provided none of that.

There is a hotel right next door that advertises weekly rates for $29, and when we arrived (at 9:30 pm) there were several shady looking characters hanging around. That didn't do much for our sense of security.

The elevator reeked of something, I don't want to know what, our “non-smoking” room smelled smokey, and I'm not sure if the bathroom was actually dirty, or clean and covered in stains. The bedsheets had cigarette stains and tears in them, and the smoke detector was missing from it's mount on the ceiling. We didn't take our shoes off, except when we were in bed, and we kept our toothbrushes packed in our toiletry bags as I had visions of bugs crawling around the bathroom at night...Didn't pass the criteria for clean, either.

The beds were only marginally softer than sleeping on the ground...So much for being comfortable.

We were given no amenities except a bar of soap and a shampoo. I'm not one to complain when hotels skimp on the amenities like shampoos, lotions, etc. as I understand they need to save $$ here & there, but a bathmat would have been nice. We were only given 2 sets of towels for our family of 4, and we had to use one of the hand towels as a bathmat! I would have complained, but we didn't notice until the morning, and by then we just wanted out of there, so we had the kids shower when we arrived at our next destination instead. Also, there was no alarm clock, tissues, or even cups!

Even though we were only there about 9 hours, I wish we would have spend the extra $30 and stayed at the Best Western instead.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank 1ove2travel
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 5 August 2011

The people who were working for the two days I stayed were kind and helpful. I feel the need to write a review, so that people have a better understanding of the condition of this hotel before booking a room online. For some people, it may be fine. Maybe if you are a smoker, it would be OK. Even though my room was supposed to be non-smoking, it and the entire hotel smelled of cigarettes from the moment I walked through the door (and through the staff who were standing in the doorway of the lobby taking a smoking break). The elevator smells of rotting, moldy carpet--I think. The hallway on the third floor is an array of food, body odors, smoke, mold, and heavy deodorizer that made me almost throw up every time I walked to and from my room. Ugh. The building is very old and in tremendous need throughout. The walls must be thick because it was quiet, but it is also must be pretty drafty because the odors of foods cooking (at all hours of the night) travel easily! The lights in my room went out several times for no apparent reason. I was very uncomfortable due to allergies to the mold, deodorizer, and smoke. Fortunately, the people were kind and let me check out two days early. I found a Best Western nearby for $20 more a night and was thrilled!

Room Tip: If you can't find a hotel in Edmonds, check neighboring Lynnwood--There are tons there!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank MediocreExpectations
Jeff K, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Edmonds/Seattle North, responded to this review, 26 August 2011
Thank you for posting your review, we appreciate your comments and they are used to evaluate our product and service. Your comments are also used to schedule future updates and provide additional training for our staff.

We have addressed your concerns and are making needed changes to ensure that our standards are the highest possible and provide for maximum comfort for our guests. We do apologize for the conditions which you describe and hope that you will come back and give us another opportunity to be of service to you again.
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I stayed at the hotel for one night with a friend while visiting the Seattle area. The location of the hotel, size of the room, and basic ameneties were certainly adequate. The bed was comfortable and the rate ($66) I paid was very reasonable. However, there were areas in the hotel such as the staircase that were in serious need of vacuuming, which always makes you wonder what else is not being cleaned thoroughly. Also, the strong smell in the elevator was really offputting.
Although price point and location were key in booking this hotel, I don't think I'll be back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank zebedeesolive
We appreciate your review and value your comments. We apologize for the conditions in which you found the stairways and elevator. We have provided additional training for our housekeeping staff and have created more frequent daily schedules for cleaning our public areas as well as our guest room facilities. We do provide free Wifi in both our lobby and in all of our guest rooms. We appreciate your business and hope you will return and give us another opportunity to be of service to you.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 March 2011

very clean rooms. great location, rates are great and has grocery store half a block away

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, your comments are valuable to us and we appreciate them. Our staff works hard to provide you with the best possible accommodations at the most reasonable rates and we are happy that you found our Inn comfortable and convenient for you. We look forward to your next visit to Edmonds and another opportunity to be of service to you
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edmonds
Best Western Plus Edmonds Harbor Inn
#4 of 13 in Lynnwood
La Quinta Inn Lynnwood
La Quinta Inn Lynnwood
#7 of 13 in Lynnwood

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Edmonds/Seattle North? Share your experiences!