“Nostalgic and Fun!”

Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Elbe
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Fourteen-mile excursion on a train using vintage 1900's steam locomotives on a scenic trip through the Pacific Northwest to Mineral Lake, passing within 25 miles of majestic Mt. Rainier.
University Place, Washington
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Nostalgic and Fun!”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I purchased the tickets for the train on Groupon for half-price.....what a GREAT deal. The train staff was very friendly and helpful. The steam engine that pulls everything is BEAUTIFUL...clean and shiny. There are 4 big cars to hold passengers...we chose the open air car which we feel was the best of the four. The clickity-clack of the tracks, the fresh air and the beautiful scenery was well worth the trip to Elbe. We had a GREAT afternoon!!! A MUST for vintage train lovers!!!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank cardsbysailor

Carson Valley, Nevada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Train lovers rejoice!!!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

As a huge fan of steam rail travel I try to find places that have them for little road trips. Mt Rainier is 4 hours from my house and I have dogs so it was always a bit unattainable. However my son decided I should have the ultimate train fan experience and purchased tickets for me for the train ride by Mt Rainier. So with that said, I didnt get any ordinary tickets. He bought me a ride in - wait for it - drum roll please............ the CAB.
We left the house at 5 am and drove to the station. Made good time with no road construction along the way. There is still snow on the mountains so it was a pretty ride. So the getting there was fun. \
Once we arrived at ELBE, we checked in and as soon as the ticket guy knew who was riding the cab I was treated like royalty. I had access to the train from the moment I stepped onto the platform. As a photographer, they gave me access to the front end of the engine while moving.
Ok so it isnt that long of a ride ( 7 miles) and it is a bit rough ( they should fix the tracks) but the round trip is a train fans paradise. There is a new museum they are going to be opening very soon at the end stop in Mineral and they have the shops open for viewing of rebuilds etc. The staff are fabulous and are never too busy to stop for a photo op. Everyone is very knowledgable about their particular role in this and they are all volunteers. I cannot say enough good things about this experience. I smiled for about 4 days afterward and even now while typing I am smiling just remembering. Just a fabulous experience. Go......

Visited April 2014
9 Thank Helen N
Eatonville, Washington
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Santa Train with Family”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

As our children grew up, we made it an annual tradition to ride the Santa Train just before Christmas each year. They loved this! An old-fashioned steam locomotive chugging through the beautiful countryside while sipping hot cocoa, singing Christmas carols and visiting with Santa.

The kids have outgrown this now, but one day I hope to bring the grandkids back and do it all over again.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Farmboots
Kent, Wa
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Fun Trip on the Train”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband and I did the fall train ride. We liked it, but I think next time I will opt for one of their Wine Tasting ones. The train was packed with kids who seemed to be enjoying themselves, but for me it was a little dull. The trains themselves were very neat, but the views didn't seem to be anything that you couldn't get on a drive.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Katie S
Lakewood, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Misleading”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

There was nothing scenic or even a glimpse of Mr. Rainier in this ride. It was a plain train ride from the station to their garage. If you're a train lover and or collector of old engines, then you might enjoy it...

Visited August 2013