“Lucky hobos!”
Review of The Hobo Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elbe
The Hobo Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Elbe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I ended up at the the Hobo Inn more by accident than anything else: invited to a family get-together at nearby Alder Lake (a beautiful man-made lake and recreation area), I chose the Hobo Inn on a whim. That said, my granddaughters and I enjoyed our stay there immensely--they for the quirkiness of sleeping in real converted train cars, me for the comfort and location. The train cars are all mostly converted to sleeping spaces with bathrooms, but they've left some nice touches--the small observation perches looking out the top of the cars were favorites of my granddaughters. Overall, an enjoyable, memorable experience!!

Room Tip: Rooms to the back side may be a bit quieter, but even the ones fronting the road are not noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank James T

Reviewed 28 August 2011

We found the Hobo Inn by word of mouth from friends. Although I feel it is overpriced, the experience is truly unique. We stayed in Red Caboose #1. The caboose was outfitted nicely to pass time with everything you need. Note that the lodging cost includes a morning breakfast. But, be aware that the restaurant next door doesn't open until 9 AM. If you are planning an early start to head to Mount Ranier, this may not be your best option.

We are glad we did it, but we would find a less expensive option next time.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank MSUEngineer
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I have no problem paying $10 for a cheeseburger if I walk away full. But I didn't. The burger wasn't any bigger - or any better - than a QuarterPounder at McDonald's. The hand-cut fries were limp and soggy.
The calamari with garlic aioli, however, were fantastic.
Still, a bill for over $60 for three people to share one appetizer and then each have a burger and a beverage (non-alcoholic) is more than a little ridiculous. Good thing we decided not to get dessert!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank CindyJo
Reviewed 14 February 2011

What a cool hotel! Stay in an actual caboose or railcar overnight. Reasonable rates which included a breakfast from the restaurant, any one off the menu! Don't pass up this chance to stay here.....especially if you have kids!! Right close to the scenic railroad.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Iloveeatingout
Reviewed 3 September 2010

I normally would not have the time to write a review but I speaking as a white average american was discriminated against as a disabled person. I never experienced discrimination before but I was in tears and demanded to have my credit card refunded every penny spent. On my way to write a review of a restaurant in the "Park" Being on the road for several hours, decided to stop, rest and eat. The much older so called maintenance person and the bar maid both told our group to not come to a place if all we could do is complain! There were mice in our particular room and droppings behind the bed. The cars were like a sauna and food cold and undercooked. The waitstaff were obviously drinking as we could smell the alcohol from all of them that we came in contact with. No one seemed to care an ounce what we experienced. Rude, mean and dangerous to eat there DO NOT GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
14  Thank ops58349
Reviewed 16 July 2010

We stayed in one of the cabooses at the Hobo Inn and enjoyed it immensely. The cabooses are clean, tidy, comfortable and quiet. This is a type of hotel experience that will appeal to people who like trains, or just something a little out of the ordinary. The cabooses don't have phones or TV, but then again, we didn't stay there to watch TV. We did fell it was a little over priced at first, but breakfast was included for free and the food was outstanding! Huge portions and very delicious! One of the best omelettes I have ever had and the home made hash browns are incredible! So, considering that breakfast was included, and the breakfast was so outstanding, the price wasn't all that bad. The service at the restaurant was GREAT. The waitress was very attentive and friendly. So, if you're looking for a 5 star hotel, this won't be your cup of tea. But if you like trains and like to be in a railroad-type environment this is a fun place to stay, just because it's different. It's clean, quiet, comfortable and the food is OUTSTANDING! It's also a convenient place to be if you are riding the Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad or are going to explore Mt. Rainier National Park.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank richeaton
Reviewed 14 November 2009

At first you see the train cars and think, " Wow, that would be cool." We went by the first time on our way to Paradise Inn. That was fantastic, but this Inn was more rustic. The cars are redone in a farmhouse style. History writings and snapshots are left in the car for you to read and think back to the time when the cars were homes to people!! There are playing cards, radio/CD and full kitchen!! For $119 it was so quaint and we had to play cards or listen to the pass trucker's radio as there was not anything else to do , which while most city people will find it awkward (no cell phone service! no phone in the room!), I suggest giving it a try and you will not be sorry. The road quieted and the serenity we shared, dancing around a small shanty type railroad car was nothing you can pay for in a fancy hotel/motel. Listen in the morning to the rushing river and people trying to quietly open the fantastic rail car breakfast car!! Don't miss the biggest, most fantastic pancakes in the state! I realize that it looks squirrely from the road, but trust me, if you can let go, you will let go here. The lounge car is where you will listen to all the local folklore! Have fun and make sure you write! Buy a painting off the wall and relish the memory for years....Tina Gunnels, Everett, WA 98208

8  Thank LadyAqua
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elbe
Alexander's Lodge
Mt Rainier Ranch- Farmstays
Nisqually Lodge
Nisqually Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford

Been to The Hobo Inn? Share your experiences!