“Steak lovers dream” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Blaine, Washington
“Steak lovers dream”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is another local hide away the name has been changed to Herb Niemann's Steak and Schnitzel House. do not mistake this location with the 2 other black Forrest steak houses owned by Herbs brother Jack.

I wouldn't say there completely different but this single location is unique in its atmosphere and local appeal.

If you like steak I would recommend the filet mignon bacon wrapped and the owner Herb will hand cut you a portion to order my magic numbers is 13 oz.

and if you on a budget order the bar steak budget minded same great beef server in the bar seating area.

They open at 5pm and the local charm might wear thin if your in for dinner much after 9pm as the close at 10 pm if you get my drift

• Visited May 2014

Sandpoint, Idaho
“Best Steak for Hundreds of Miles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I don't usually order steak in restaurants because it is almost never as good as I can grill it at home. There are only a three restaurants I have found within a few hundred mile radius of me that are the exceptions (this includes well known, over priced steak houses in both the Seattle and Vancouver BC areas), one of which is this one. Well aged, perfectly seasoned, always perfectly grilled. If you find yourself within 50 miles of this place, and you are Jonesing for a great steak, make the drive.
A couple of things, though. I am basing this review on the steak. While the service is also good and the dining area comfortable, it is not a jacket and tie type establishment. Also, my wife can't wrap herself around the idea of not having any baked potato available. I personally enjoy the fried potatoes they offer.
Oh ya....did I mention the prices are better than reasonable?

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank mmik3
Bellingham, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Ordered the schnitzel cordon blu, a great German beer, and an order of escargot.
Food and service was good with one exception. The schnitzel was a bit dried out like it had been taken out of the freezer defrosted and flash heated but was ok. I asked for some of the mushroom gravey which helped. The downside to the otherwise great dining experience was tha the manager charged me almost $5.00 for the mushroom gravey which would have been ok but she didn't say anything about an up charge. I didn't find out about it until the bill came. When brought to their attention, the manager chose to Do Nothing!
To spend 1/3 of the entre bill for a small very small cup of mushroom gravey is not good customer service. And not to tell customer about an additional charge is very deceptive.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
WA
“Favorite steak, but poor food handling hygiene”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We have been eating here for over ten years, usually sit in the bar. Hands down best steak I have ever had. However, on a recent visit, we noticed our waitress, Angel, using her bare hands to grab the salad croutons. I would have preferred she used a utensil or gloved hand. This is gross. We watched her do this several times. She packed out salads to a large party next to us. We had already had our salad. Not appetizing after she had been handling money, picking up dirty dishes, ink pens and the little folders your bill comes out in. That's disgusting to think we paid to eat contaminated food.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank meelm
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best food and service... EVER!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

My boyfriend and I came in and got the most amazing service ever I was service name was Angel and boy she was just that the food was phenomenal and the service was spectacular I choose to come back almost 5 days a week now!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank lovestofidget

Been to Black Forest Steak House? Share your experiences!