“Great staff at the front desk...”

Extended Stay America - Seattle - Federal Way
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Federal Way
Spokane, Washington, United States
“Great staff at the front desk...”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

...but the rest of the employees there are suspect at best. I arrived to find out that my King bed reservation via Expedia was not available (first time ever in 25 years for me going to hotels). I was offered a queen which is fine. Went up to room and it was a disaster. Apparently house-keeping lied and said it was done but it was clearly not. I was then offered a twin-bed room which I accepted only under the agreement that I be compensated. The great front desk lady actually called the manager at 10pm and arranged the compensation which I was very satisfied with. The next morning the manager (Kelly) was very apologetic and obviously sincere about how she was very disappointed in how my check-in experience was. Overall the facility is better than Motel 6 and other 1 star places and I could see why it is convenient for longer stays.

Room Tip: Double-check with the hotel about your reservation, and get the name of the person you talk to.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick E
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Federal Way, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. I sincerely apologize that we did not have your room ready for you which caused you to switch room types. To prevent this from happening again, I have explained the importance of communication between departments with my team.

Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. Please contact me, at sfw@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Overall average hotel, halls had a hint of smoke smell. the staff called at 1101 to ask if we were going to extend our stay. I was a bit surprise by this call, but I guess they need to know who still is in the room. The breakfast was pre package sweet bread and coffee. Not sure I will return

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jesfire415
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Federal Way, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Hi there,

The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. We appreciate the high cleanliness and location scores; however, we apologize that we had not communicated our departure time more clearly. We usually call the room prior to sending our housekeeper into a room that still shows as occupied to prevent an uncomfortable situation for everyone involved. I have discussed your comments with the team, and we are working on providing better communication to our guests. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at sfw@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Federal Way, Washington
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Was the first time I ever rented a hotel room with a kitchen and loved the experience. The room was like brand new, thought I would have to pay more for the quality but got such a great deal. I've stayed at many hotels and if I could just take that room anywhere it would be great. Very quite at night, internet and all appliances worked great. Bathroom is very nice and clean. Maid service was very sincere and awesome. Laundry room has very easy access and use. Parking not a problem, I could always find a spot right by my room. Staff would always say hi to me as I was leaving and coming, almost felt like part of the family. It is my new go to hotel forever, look forward to staying there again soon!!

Room Tip: From what I seen all rooms are good.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank urdaddy22
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Federal Way, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you for your impressive review of our property. I am proud of our team for providing you with the "home away from home" experience at our hotel that you deserve. We are also happy to hear that our housekeeping staff provided you with a nice, clean room and you will consider us again for future stays.

Colombia, S.A.
Reviewed 6 August 2013

After having what must have been the worst check-in experience in the history of mankind, the rest of the stay, I have to say, was quite good.

I researched pretty much every hotel in western Washington before finally settling on this hotel. A friend was coming to the US for the first time and I wanted everything perfect. I visited the hotel 3 times over a month to confirm everything as set, and after feeling confident that it was based on assurances by hotel staff, I waited for check in day.

When I arrived to check in, the room that I was promised suddenly wasn't available, inexplicably. I won't mention any names, but the front desk staff at the time of check in was as clueless as could possibly be, and was actually quite rude towards me, considering the nonsense I was being put through. At this point I had been at the front desk for about 1/2 hour with no idea how this could have possibly happened considering my extensive planning, and had about 1/2 hour to get to the airport to get my friend, still no room and no answers as to what the hell happened. I was dumbfounded at the incompetence that was unfolding right in front of me. Stressing that I needed to get the airport ASAP, in I-5 rush hour traffic no less, I received nothing but blunt and brusque responses.

She finally gave me a key to a room, promising to change it at a later date since I was in a rush. I grabbed my stuff and ran to the room (top floor, last room in the hall) - IT WAS STILL OCCUPIED!!!! Imagine my surprise when I walked in on a couple and a baby in the room. I'm not sure who was more shocked. Apologizing to the occupants, I grabbed my stuff and ran back down the stairs and just went off. Needless to say things got pretty heated from here.

Thank God Kelly showed up and within 5 minutes the situation was resolved. She made everything right to my satisfaction in the end.

The hotel itself is nice. Some complain about the entrance and how difficult it can be to find. Personally I like that, as it is a bit out of the way and off the road. The only pain is when leaving a driver isn't supposed to make a left (I did most of the time anyway). There is a Q'doba, Chipolte, as well as other restaurants within easy walking distance, a supermarket literally across the street, drug store, gas stations, movies, mall and just about anything anyone can need, with I-5 less than a mile away.

I would stay there again, but I will only deal with Kelly when making reservations or checking in. Deal with anyone else, and you're rolling the dice on possibly having a really, really bad experience.

Room Tip: Deal with Kelly only.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank inspectorjavert70
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Federal Way, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation you described regarding your check-in process and being given a room that was already occupied is truly regrettable. We are very sorry. In response to this feedback, I am sharing the comments from your review with our Guest Service staff to ensure that the hiccups you experienced are not repeated again in the future. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve.

I also want to thank you for the positive comments in your survey about the location of our entrance, and while the right turn only can be frustrating at times, it's for the safety of our guests entering a busy road. Our hotel is a convenient walking distance to popular restaurants and shopping, as you'd mentioned, while maintaining a quiet and somewhat private setting.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to complete a review of our property. Please feel free to contact me directly, at sfw@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.
Silverdale, Washington
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I was in Federal Way for a short term job. This extended stay was very easy to find and a well maintained property close to shopping and the freeway. Kevin, working the front desk the day I checked in, was most helpful with my room! I would most definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The kitchenettes are great.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Federal Way, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for mentioning how Kevin had helped you and your mother get settled. We truly are lucky to have him on our team. We are also pleased that we were able to provide you with a "home away from home" experience during your working vacation.

Thank you again for taking the time out of your schedule to share your review. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2013

What a nightmare - lost reservations, not enough beds, no cleaning. The hotel is nice but the staff was completely unorganized. I had a group booking which was lost and then I was given fewer rooms than I asked for and several were smoking despite having requested non smoking. I arrived at 6pm - we did not get all of our rooms until 10pm. Half the staff had no idea what was going on and even at check out I could not get a straight answer to how much I paid for the rooms. I will never, EVER stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Federal Way hotels

Eatonville, Washington
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed for only 1 night (had an interview to go to), but would definitely recommend the hotel. Absolutely loved the kitchen! It was like I was home (took away some of those nerves). The staff are wonderful and very helpful. Got the job too!

The location is nice also. Lots of restaurants around and Seattle isn't far away either.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor and at the very end of the hallway (facing the parking lot) are quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
It is so rewarding to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you enjoyed our great service, your clean room and our convenient location. I am happy to hear that we were able to be part of this exciting new chapter for you and hope the interview went well!

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area during your relocation transition.