“Pretty on the outside, not so much inside”

Emerald Queen Hotel & Casino
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Fife
McKinleyville, California, United States
“Pretty on the outside, not so much inside”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We booked two nights because we needed to stay for business. The Casinos that I have stayed at before in California and Oregon were always nice and so that's what I expected. The check-in is in the middle of the casino. You must walk through the casino to reach the lobby and elevators. Poor planning. My "non smoking " room was not . The second hand smoke from the casino floor made me ill. I had to sleep with a wet wash cloth over my face for fresh air. All of our clothes smelled awful. Even the ones we didn't wear stunk. Guards were rude and made us feel like criminals because we had a laptop bag. It was not welcoming. My husband didn't even feel invited to play any slots. I would have left after the first night, but I had booked on line and that is difficult to get out of. Never stay here again. The buffet was good and the bed was the best thing about the room. our window had an ugly rooftop view. No fridge. Terrible coffee. You could tell the construction cut corners and the management was using the cheapest possible avenues.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are all smoke filled.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Everett
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We had booked our room online and the website clearly states "It’s easy to check in to our special $83 concert rate! Simply show your ticket stub at the hotel front desk and we’ll take care of the rest." but once you arrive the front desk tells you that they cannot honor that because the room was prepaid through a third party(they do not take reservations directly through them online). I asked, since I was not offered, a dining credit or even a play credit, they (Jasmine) simply stated that no they cannot do that. I bit my tounge and begrudgingly took my room key. Once I arrived upstairs in the room, it was about 90 degrees and no thermostat, called down the the front desk and they told us to open the window. Nope, stuck shut. Called back again, they said sorry there was nothing they could do. My boyfriend went to use the bathroom, and the toilet seat wouldn't stay up. To put the icing on the cake, we had come for a concert and were told that the shuttles run every 15 minutes until the show started then every half hour there after. We showed up to catch the shuttle at 8p (show started at 8) and waited until 915 before asking a security guard about the shuttle- and ultimately ended up having to call a cab. Took the cab over to the Tacoma location(by this time its 10p) to see the show, only to find out the show started at 7 instead of 8 like the tickets and advertising stated, and it had been over for 30 minutes. Needless to say I will NEVER stay here, gamble here, or tell anyone to stay here.

Room Tip: Stay across the street at the Days Inn
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Fife hotels

Ocean Shores, Washington, United States
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We called for a reservation and got a great King Bed non-smoking room. We hadn't visited this hotel for several years. The rooms are clean and have been updated. The casino at the hotel has tripled in size. And the food in the hotel's buffet was very good. We had a great time.

Room Tip: Non-Smoking rooms the best.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2012

This place is great. We had a very good time here. The room was clean and well kept. The casino was great and the slots were fun. The Buffet that they offer was one of the better buffets around. Over all we had a excellent stay I wish we could have stayed longer than we did. I would recommend the Emerald Queen as a must go to destination.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Darthraider
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Stayed one night here in August, really enjoyed it... evening Buffet very good, breakfast
in Restaurant upstairs was excellent. Room simple, quiet and very good value.
Makes a wonderful, (and easy to find) stop-off on trips South...have a good rest and
fun at the Casino, or take the shuttle bus to the busier Casino (also Emerald Queen)
a few minutes away...that place is FUN!
Highly recommend!
valerieg21@yahoo.com

Room Tip: Make sure you know that the 2nd casino a few minutes away, is where the table games and poker are...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2012

After reading many reviews and speaking to some friends who had stayed at EQC, I was prepared for a less than average experience. I was pleasantly surprised.

The PROS:
- Great staff everywhere we went. Front desk, players club, security, and serve staff were all professional, friendly and smiling.
- Food - my wife and I ate in the buffet and the restaurant. I would rate the selection in the buffet as very good (Saturday night was surf and turf) and the quality excellent (the prime rib was delicious and the fish was well cooked).
- Rooms are large with all the basic. This is an older hotel but it is clean and everything worked well. The bathroom has a mirror and sink outside of the toilet/bath tub area. The shower head is basic but there was lots of hot water.
- Free wireless internet in the room.
- Casino offers self serve fountain drinks, coffee and bottled water. The alcoholic drinks were all very reasonably priced. One question - why can't I take a bottle of water back to my room after I have just gambled for 3 hours in the casino. No drinks allowed in or out of the casino.

THE CONS:
Smoke, smoke and more smoke. While I felt and smelled it initially when in the casino after a while I didn't notice it any more. However, I had a sore throat after about an hour. Even though we were on a non smoking floor the smell of the smoke does cover the entire property except for the non-smoking area of the casino which is closed in and relatively smoke free.

Overall, a pleasant surprise from what I was expecting.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank edinbc
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We spent a night here on our way back to Seattle. Our room was large, clean and comfortable. We also used the hotel pool, which was quite nice. As others have stated that property does smell somewhat of smoke, but that is not uncommon in a casino hotel. Overall this is a fine place to stay for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: there is a good pizza place / rock and roll venue in a strip mall right near the hotel - unique!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fife
Quality Inn & Suites
Hotel Murano
#3 of 28 in Tacoma
Extended Stay America - Tacoma - Fife
Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel

Been to Emerald Queen Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!