“Very poor service”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Myself and four friends went there for dinner a few weeks ago. I ordered a veal dish, which was so tough that I could barely chew it. When I let the owner know as he was walking by ( he was chatting with nearby diners) he kind of brushed me off and sent I believe, his wife over. She took my dish, then came back with it and said "I cut off a bite of the meat and tasted it. The part you were eating was just a grisly part of the cut. The rest should be tender." I was shocked, first that she cut a piece off of my dinner and tasted it. Was my word not good enough. Then made an excuse for a poor cut of meat. I don't eat veal often, my friend does and said the whole thing should have been very tender. It was one of the more expensive items on their menu. The grisly meat, really spoiled my appetite and I barely ate anymore of the dish, leaving 3/4 of it. To me, they should have offered me a new piece of veal or comped my meal. They did neither.

One lady in our party ordered Salmon Picata, was brought something totally different and then asked if she would like to have what they brought her mistakenly. She said "No, that's not what I ordered." Her meal finally arrived just as everyone else was finishing up.

This is the first and the last time we will eat at this restaurant.

2  Thank veebeeque

Reviewed 1 June 2011

I have heard wonderful things about this restaurant and was eager to dine here. The food was excellent, the atmosphere is also okay (but very cramped). They have serious staffing issues. Half the wait staff just stood around, the hostess was also, bar tender, waitress, cook and chief bottle-washer. She was so frazzeled. Our waiter did not offer us drinks, salads, soups, appetizers or dessert. All we got was an entree. We couldn't even get a fork. Huh? He was so rude.

1  Thank DisneyFan30
Reviewed 25 May 2011

A friend lives up at Gig Harbor and recommended this restaurant. It was good. It's set in a strip mall type area so there really isn't "view". I was very impressed with the chef coming out and asking us what our tastes were so that he could put together something fabulous. I loved this personal touch. I had the cioppino and my friend had the lobster ravioli. Both were very good. The portions were huge so we didn't have room for dessert.
I do have to comment on the wine selected for us... it was not good. Okay, I admit I'm a foodie and a wine snob. The night we were there they had offered 50% off the wine. Since they were deciding what to serve us we decided to also let them choose the wine. I hate to return a bottle but we had too.
Overall the food appeared authentic and the personal service made it special. The menu was extensive and I will be back to try more!
Unfortunately I cannot really write more about the restaurant since we were exhausted from boating all day by the time we got there.

Reviewed 21 March 2011

My girlfriend and I have eaten here about a dozen times and have never had a bad bite. The food is absolutely delicious and the staff are very friendly. The chef and his wife are very friendly people as well as the staff. It can get very busy at dinner so you better get reservations if you want to get a seat. My favorite dishes: Halibut Puttanesca, Chicken/Beef Gorgonzola, Lobster Ravioli. This place is a MUST TRY for everyone!

2  Thank PhilipNunn
Reviewed 25 February 2011

We enjoyed our visit to Il Lucano very much. My Mom and I are both gluten intolerant, so I had done some research online prior to visiting Gig Harbor for our Son’s Wedding. I have never seen such an extensive selection of gluten free items! We found our waitress to be very helpful in explaining menu items and specials. Four of us enjoyed appetizers, wine, dinner entrees and dessert. Everything was fresh, delicious and beautifully presented. Some of the items we enjoyed were the carpaccio, seafood linguini (exquisite!), spaghetti with meatballs, calamari with squid ink linguini, a smooth, beautiful Valpolicella, and a melt in your mouth chocolate custard, WOW! If we lived in Gig Harbor, this is a Restaurant we would frequent often!