This complaint is regarding a property that we rented last week for the Christmas break. It was filthy and had several significant safety hazards that I reported to the owner in writing.
Here are just a few of the many examples that were unacceptable and dangerous:
- There is a substantial roof leak in the ceiling above the car garage. Toxic black mold, linked to health problems, is easily visible. On the outside of the house, the wall is completely destroyed with visible insulation and open to the interior.
- The furnace in the car room died after three days of use rendering the room unusable.
- Smoke alarms were non-functioning and presented fire hazards of their own via bare wires
Multiple electrical outlets sparked when plugging in small devices, posing an additional and substantial fire hazard.
- Some electrical outlets were taped over with shipping tape and others in the gym simply hung loosely by their wiring.
- The house was filthy. I do not use this term lightly. The furniture is old stained and full of dust and old food. The tub in the master bathroom was disgustingly stained and unusable.
We could hardly see out the windows as they were completely covered with months of mold, grime, and mildew.
Front porch decking had substantial dry rot, which was loose and near collapse, posing a safety risk for our elderly visitors.
The bathroom off the kitchen had a completely rotten floor in front of the toilet which was spongey, causing the bricks to be lifted and loose. The floor felt as if it would collapse just standing on it.
In the bunk room, two doors swing easily open to a nearly fifteen foot drop onto the garage floor below posing yet another substantial safety hazard to children.
the front walkway was unlit
there was a bat in the basement
the driveway was unmarked with very large pot holes in which our standard sized car bottomed out.
Multiple old space heaters are placed throughout the home
the wall behind the kitchen sink was moldy and rotten
Simple clearing will not bring this property up to a condition that is safe to rent.
After contacting the owner to request a refund for 50% of the rental fees, he declined unless I agreed to not share my experience on the internet. I replied I would report with or without the refund in order to save others of the same terrible experience.