“Excellent Meal”

Price range: US$1 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We have re-opened under new ownership January 25th, 2017!
Reviewed 23 October 2013

1900's house converted to a restaurant in the small Washington town of Goldendale.
Everything was delicious. Note when ordering "ahi" it comes seared which was fine but menu says "grilled" - fine for me as like it that way, my husband had pork chops and we both had the "small" salad - ample helping and good dressing. We split the flourless chocolate cake for dessert, very rich and so good.

1  Thank 712Savill

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We have been to the Glass Onion several times. The first was a couple of years ago at the suggestion of the owners of Maryhill Winery, Craig and Vicki Leuthold. We now make this a "must stop" whenever we spend the weekend in the Gorge. On this last visit my husband and I shared the Shrimp Pil-Pil - a very different and delicious shrimp scampi, if you will. It arrived hot a bubbling - beautiful roasted garlic, olive oil and smoked paprika - accompanied by the delicious focaccia bread for sopping up all that wonderful sauce. We accompanied our meal the white wine from Maryhill Winery, of course. Hubby ordered the pork tenderloin with whole grain mustard and tomato jam - I ordered the flat iron steak with fried onions. We shared a side of mashed potatoes. Both entrees were expertly prepared and we totally scraped our plates. We have had dessert here in the past - always mouth-watering - but decided to skip this time. Even though we did not have a reservation, the wait staff was able to seat us - but we did observe several people being turned away or asked to return later in the evening - will always be sure to have a reservation from now on. The food is very upscale, but priced affordabily. The location does give one pause - it is a small house on the main street of town and easy to miss, but once inside, the atmosphere is like a calm sanctuary - lovely photography on the walls by the owner. We are already looking forward to our next visit.

1  Thank rfj4453
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We broke a drive from the Seattle area to Bend, Oregon in two segments with a planned overnight stop in Goldendale, Washington. This allowed some wild mushroom hunting in the Cascade Mountains shortly after leaving our home. A stop at the Goldendale Chamber of Commerce resulted in a highly praised restaurant suggestion: The Glass Onion in the middle of town on the main north-south drag. We've been burned by local praise many times and expected the same especially after driving past the restaurant the first time despite being armed with the street address. Realizing our error we turned around and found a old rather nondescript house located next to a seedy looking auto parts store. We went in anyway.

The seating area consisted of three rooms, which at one time must have been the living room, dining room and the parlor. We sat at a table for two in the former living room and were promptly handed a limited looking menu whose items seemed to have come out of some hoity-toity big city restaurant. The only difference was that the prices were down-to-earth reasonable. Our anticipation level was high as we ordered the grilled octopus with aioli and a smoked paprika sauce appetizer. It came, beautifully plated, and was awesome! Fear quickly turned into eagerness to see the next course.

We ordered an heirloom tomato salad along with a Caesar salad. The later consisted entirely of romaine lettuce (as it should), properly dressed, and covered with tiny shavings of Parmesan cheese and crumbled croutons - reminiscent of Mt Adams 30 miles to the west after a snowfall with the rocks exposed from melting. The tomatoes in the heirloom salad were local and nothing like either of us had seen before - ripe and delicious. To wash all this down we each had a glass of locally made wine - she a red and me a white. Both were outstanding. The entrees consisted of a flat iron steak and salmon. Both were superbly prepared and presented - the steak in a reduction sauce with the salmon on a bed of cooked and exquisitely seasoned Kale. We threw in a nice dessert with two spoons. It lived up to those dishes that came before it: outstanding!

Oh, the price tag: about $70 for two with a glass of wine each before tax and tip. One caveat: At the time of our visit the Glass Onion was only open for dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

marenmcgowan, Owner at The Glass Onion, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thanks for visiting, and for writing such a wonderful detailed review! I would like to mention that we are actually open for lunch AND dinner 4 days/week (Wed-Sat)...I'll check with the Chamber and make sure they know that too...Thanks again!!

Reviewed 14 September 2013

They serve fresh hot food in a sweet little spot. Definitely worth a visit to Goldendale for a nice meal here!

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I do not view myself as "hoy-te-toy-te" and feel uncomfortable in certain restaurants. I was a bit skeptical initially!!

This restaurant is in a house, converted to a restaurant. It is absolutely charming.

The service is outstanding. The staff is extremely attentive.

I ordered the Charcoal Grilled Angus Flat Iron Steak. My husband ordered the Zion Farm Field Greens - and well someting else but I was to self absorbed to remember what he had!!

When my meal arrived I looked down at this pretty work of art and thought to myself 'this is not what I was expecting nor is this going to fill me up'.

Ok maybe it wasn't what I was expecting. It certainly did fill me up and it was out of this world deliciously tender, but I could not have eaten another bite.

I thought it was a upscale charming home with food I only wish I knew how to prepare.

It is more of an adult restaurant - certainly not McDonalds and energetic tots probably won't be appreciated at dinner time by other patrons.

I highly recommend trying this restaurant.