“Mt Kilimanjaro trek - Machame route”
Review of Mountain Gurus

Mountain Gurus
Ranked #4 of 7 Tours in Issaquah
More attraction details
Owner description: Mountain Gurus specializes in leading Treks & Tours, Northwest Climbs and mountaineering Expeditions to many of the most exciting destinations on earth. As adventure travel experts we offer a personalized service and we'll take the time to make sure all your questions are answered. We only offer the best guides, accommodations and outfitters to ensure you have a safe, successful and amazing trip.
Sydney, Australia
“Mt Kilimanjaro trek - Machame route”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Mountain Gurus: thank you for your assistance in planning our trip: we had a fantastic time. The team supporting us were fabulous: the guides looked after us incredibly well and we enjoyed getting to know them. As we climbed, we came to appreciate how important their advice was to our prospects of reaching the summit (pole pole!), yet they still made the journey to the top enjoyable and informative. Coming into the camp each day to a song from the porters was an unforgettable experience, and we are grateful for how comfortable they made the trip for us. Camping 200 vertical meters higher than other groups on the night before we summited meant reaching the top was much easier: that special permit is gold! We always felt like we were in the hands of the best and this helped to make the experience truly unforgettable.

Visited June 2014

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
5 attraction reviews
“Kilimanjaro & Safari”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

An amazing trip. It was great to have someone else take care of the details, so all I needed to know was when to be packed up and ready to go the next day. The guides were very knowledgable and great to hike with. The porters had camp set up each day when we arrived with snacks and hot water for coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. I highly recommend the extra cost to stay at the crater camp. It allowed us time to go check out the glaciers and "take it all in" before the trek down. Note that this is not a luxury trip with the best of everything. I didn't have any expectations and appreciated the services that were provided. If you like to be pampered or are a person who complains about any little detail, I suggested you "pay up" and travel with a company that caters to a higher level of service.
The safaris were awesome as well. Loved sitting on the stone deck with a glass of wine overlooking the Tarangarie. Accomodations during safaris were VERY nice!
I am going to Everest Base Camp with Mountain Gurus this fall 2014.
(kili trip was fall 2011. Date wasnt available to select below, so date below says 2013)

Visited September 2013

Burien, Washington
“Mt Rainier”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Myself and two of my friends booked a trip to summit Mt Rainier. Dennis gave us guidelines of what to bring and how to train. He even went on a few hikes with us up Tiger Mountain in preparation. The day we left they even rented us some of the gear that we would need for the trip. It was great trip with great weather. The training day went well and we decided to do an evening summit and watch the sun set rather than do a summit that would let us see sunrise, the typical timing for a summit. We decided in advance that whatever the guides said about a summit opportunity would be the gospel and we would follow direction. Unfortunately one of my friends had not trained as hard and at Disappointment Cleaver, Dennis and his partner decided that my friend should turn around and was not going to have what it took to summit. I had trained hard and was having a tough time keeping the pace myself. My friend turned around and was not able to summit with us. We did make the summit at a pretty fast pace and descending even faster. It was a great view and it is awesome to see the mountain on sunny days and realize that I made it to the top. Thanks to Mountain Gurus and Dennis in particular for making sure I was prepared and able to make the summit. It is a memory I will cherish forever. The accommodations we great, the service was top notch and the knowledge and passion of mountaineering that they shared was exceptional.Rick

Visited July 2013

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Kilimanjaro”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

There is a lot a could say about Mountain Gurus but I will try to keep it short....Like the reviewer below said there wasn’t a lot of communication before the trip which would have been helpful.
Example; we were never given a weight limit on our bags so the evening before the hike we were forced to spend hours going through our gear, having to go back and forth outside to the 100 year old scale hanging from the tree.....
HOTELS: could have been better, to include the "hotel" in Arusha and the accommodation on the safari.....
GEAR: half of the tents provided were mesh with no lining, usually got little sleep and woke to frost inside the tent. The "chairs" didn't have backs on them, after a long day of hiking we would get back to the camp site and have to sit on stools, which were so uncomfortable we would just end up going to bed instead of hang out in the dinning tent.....
FOOD; our group was 6 people with one solo traveler added, this solo traveler was a vegetarian, because of this our group got almost NO MEAT the entire hike, enough said.....
STAFF: we tipped the staff more than the percentage that Dennis told us to. Following the hike (while still on the mountain) the entire group of staff 20-25 people surrounded my father in the parking lot demanding more money from our group. They kept him surrounded for almost an hour before we were able to convince them to please bring us back to the hotel where we would talk more about it.....this was a scary situation that I never personally got an apology for.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank Mark B
MountainGurus, Manager at Mountain Gurus, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
So let me first say, we’ve made a lot of changes to our Kilimanjaro program since this trip. We do listen to all our customer feedback and strive to do a better job. Here is a quote I just received from our Feb 2014 climb. “Hey Dennis, we made it back to Arusha and all of us made it to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro!!! I cannot tell you what an amazing experience you and Julius our guide put together. We will be writing more once we get back to faster computers but so far this has been the most perfect trip and honeymoon so thank you!!!!

One of the problems we faced before with our Kilimanjaro trips was inconstancy… this has all been corrected. We’ve now upgraded our program dramatically. The trip which I planned for the reviewer started out as a custom trip. It was very clear from the beginning the group was very cost conscience and looking to save money. Often times customers are looking to save cost verse quality and often regret it following a trip. I’ve personally planned nearly a hundred expeditions to Mount Kilimanjaro since 2000. I’m very knowledgeable about the mountain, services and what it takes to climb the peak. It’s simply inaccurate that I didn’t communicate before the trip. Mountain Gurus provides all our customers with a comprehensive pre-climb departure book that informs them exactly what’s required to do a climb. I have so many emails archived with regards to planning this particular trip.

I do regret and apologize for the tipping situation. But it’s not true the reviewer didn’t receive an apology. My head of staff in Tanzania apologized repeatedly and took action to correct the situation. Following the trip I always send my customers an evaluation. I never received any feedback from the reviewer until this review. Although I did speak personally with the reviewers father who was the target of this tip situation and apologized multiple times as well as took aggressive action to ensure this would never happen again. I personally worked with this particular Tanzania guide multiple times and I was embarrassed and angered to learn about this situation. He betrayed my trust and he has since never worked for Mountain Gurus again. One last note. A week before the trip departure, I provided an email discussing and giving detailed instructions on how best tip the Kilimanjaro guides and staff. It was acknowledged by the group my instructions weren’t followed. I’m not making excuses for this situation, a tip should always be earned and never expected. It was also acknowledged by multiple customers on this trip that the guides and staff had done a terrific job on the mountain up until this situation at the bitter end. Everyone had summited the mountain.

Since the trip the reviewers father has since referred a customer to Mountain Gurus and we’ve traded multiple emails. Lastly we’ve taken many steps to improve our mountain experience. We’re working with a “new” set of experienced guides and staff, we’re providing high quality 3-person mountain tents and expedition dining tents with full back chairs. We only offer 4 and 5 star hotel accommodations while in Arusha. Moving forward we prefer running a much higher quality experience on the mountain as with all our trips.
Bellevue, Washington
“Everest Base Camp Trek”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I had a great trip with Mountain Gurus. The accomadations in Kathmandu were top notch and the Sherpa staff in the Kumbu were super friendly and accomodating. I did a fall trip which was superb, the mountains are like nothing on earth. Definetly worth the time and quite affordable.
RJ