“Dishonest, Rude and Outrageous”

Comfort Inn and Suites Kent
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Kent
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Dishonest, Rude and Outrageous”
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I looked on-line at this hotel before I reserved my rooms. The internet add specifically states that this is a pet friendly hotel. I arrived on a Thursday evening and checked in. My daughter and her service dog in training accompanied me to my room to get a package I had brought to her. The man at the desk, Nate, saw my daughter and the dog come in with me and get on the elevator. My daughter and the dog stayed about 25 mintues and left. The next morning I left for a meeting and then went to dinner with my daughter. I arrived back to the hotel at about 9:00 and could not get into my room. I thought my key had demagnetized and went to the front desk. When I got there I was informed that I had been locked out of my room and could only gain entry by paying $250. They said I had a pet in my room and since this was not a "pet room" they had to sanitize the room and that cost $250. I told them that the dog stayed about 25 minutes, that Nate had seen the dog enter, that the internet add said this was a pet friendly hotel. The clerk said I would have to take this up with the Manager, Michelle Chung on Monday. I aksed the clerk what was wrong with the room and she said there was dog hair on the comforter. I assured her that the dog was not on the bed but that I had taken my suitcase out of my daughter's car and that there might have been hair on it. I did acknowledge that I put the suitcase on the bed. I said I had my medication that I had to take in my room and I did not have $250. She said she was sorry but I could leave or pay the money. She was holding my luggage and medication hostage. I thought about calling the police but I had to have my medication immediately and so I had to put the charge on my debit card. The clerk told me that I could dispute the charge with the manager on Monday and that she would be in at 7:00. I had a 9:30 flight so I was in the lobby on Monday at 7:00. Michelle Chung, the manager did not get to work until 7:25. I explained the situtation to her and told her that if the dog was not allowed in the hotel why didn't Nate, the clerk say anything. She told me that was not his job. SHe said the whole room had to be sanitized. I told her that I saw a dog in the lobby that morning and again on the elevator and asked her if the whole lobby, hallway and elevator had been sanitized. She told me that I was making a scene. I told her that I wanted the charges taken off of my debit card immediately, I felt she had treated me dishonestly and was going to complain to the Corporate Office if she did not remove the charges. She told me, "Since you are making a scene, I am not going to remove the charges". By this time I was late leaving for the airport and asked for the Corporate number. She mumbled something and I did not get what she said and asked for it again. SHe turned to help another person at the desk and left without returning and giving me the number. My daughter came in at this time and had to yell, "Hey you have a customer" before Ms. Chung would return to the front desk and I had to ask three more times for the number for the corporate office. I called the corporate office on the way to the airport. the woman I spoke to was very kind and said that I should have been treated in this manner nor should I have been charged $250. She asked me to hold and she called Michelle Chung. When the woman from Corporate came back on the line, she said that Ms. Chung said she would reduce the charge to $100 if I would not file a formal complaint. I did not have $250 extra dollars so I agreed to the reduced amount. The woman from corporate advised me to wait until the charges had been reapplied to my account and then write a letter to the the Coporation. She said this Comfort Inn was privately owned but the Corporation needed to hear about what had happened to me.
I find this treatment despicable, dishonet and humiliating. I have stayed in Comfort Inns for many years but until I get assurance from the Corporate office that this will never occur again, I will never stay in a Comfort Inn or any of their affiliates again. I have shared my experience with my supervisor and he has assured me that he will never use this Comfort Inn again. This is a loss to them since one of the employees travels to Kent each month for four or five days.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Nancy F
gm_wa020, Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites Kent, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear Guest,

I apologize that you had to experience such an unpleasant stay with us. This situation could have been handled better and should have been addressed with sensitivity. We are sincerely sorry that you had to feel so horrible during this trip. I would like to let you know what changes we have made since your stay in September. Here is a couple of things we have done to better our hotel:
*currently working on all online websites to clarify our pet policy*
I have noticed that even on our website it doesn't say we have specific rooms- it only allows you to reserve the room type that says "pets allowed"
*we have changed management*

As for the charges there isn't much more that we can do since we have adjusted $150. We used the $100 and had to spend out of pocket for the remaining cost.

Our procedures: It is the guest service agent's duty to get the proper initials reminding guests of their rate, no smoking in Non-smoking room policy and no pets in Non-pet room policy. It is also our duty to acknowledge and question when a dog is heading into the elevator and we failed to do that part. The guest service agent on duty should have asked your daughter when she came in solo with a pet and went to the elevator to meet with you on the third floor.

Everything could have well been prevented and it would've made everything proactive. This is lack of training and lack of accountability.

As a hotel we try to understand that people come in different sizes, forms and need different accommodations. Because we respect that we try to house pets and try to respect the non-pet owners as well. I hope you can try to understand.

Our Director of Sales- Gina will get in touch with you in the next few days to see what else we can do to. Again, we are so sorry that this happened.

Bok Oh
Kent Comfort Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Oregon
Reviewed 1 July 2011

The manager was very friendly and accommodating but we didn't get what we were promised which was two rooms with an adjoining door. We checked in on a Friday and needed the room next door for Sat and Sun nights. Seems those that were there on Friday decided to stay an extra night and instead of moving them they moved our out of state company. And I just hate it when you are told "we're so sorry" but not one thing is done about it! All told we stayed at this hotel 7 nights in the month of June but we will not be back again.

We were in room 112 and the walls are not very sound proof and the sound between floors is bad too. We had to call the front desk at midnight as the party next door was really loud. I really thought this may have been another hotel chain that had taken the Comfort name, but was told it was always a Comfort Inn. I've stayed in many, many Comfort Inns and Suites and have never stayed in one that was as noisy as this one. The room decor is just tired and needs to be refreshed.

Didn't eat the breakfast so can't comment on that. Did find black hairs on the blanket and asked that it be changed as we don't have black hair...ugh..

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
salesmanager30, Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites Kent, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
Dear Valued Customer,

thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We are sorry that you were disturbed by such noisy guests during your stay. We take all the reviews very seriously and utilize them to improve our services for our valued guests.

If you do choose to stay with us again, give us a heads up for joint room bookings and when you are disturbed by other guests we need to be notified immediately so we can respond to the situation as soon as possible.

Once again thank you for your valued reviews and do hope to see you again as we value your business with us.
Oregon City, Oregon
Reviewed 14 April 2011

I was visiting some family thats in the area. The service was great!! I had my nieces over to use the pool and they justed loved it. The breakfast was great love the waffles!! I will be back to visit again in a few months and will defiantly be staying here.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Dear Valued Customer,

We would like to thank you for your great review on our hotel. We are looking forward to accomodate you and your kids on your next visit.
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 19 May 2010

All the employees used my name and were friendly which made my stay relaxing. This would be the perfect place to stay if it had an onsite restaurant. I did use the food delivery service recommended by the staff and it was fine. The shuttle bus was generally available when my wife wanted to go somewhere (special Mr.Oh, the driver and front-desk specialist) there was an ample breakfast every morning and Inn door pool & Jaccuzzi for relxataion every night. I highly reccommended, and we will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for taking time to write a review about us. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the near future.
Oregon
Reviewed 16 February 2010

I was concerned about this hotel when I saw all the negative reviews. I was relieved to find out personally that the room was clean, lots of TV channels, extremely helpful staff (they spent a lot of time looking up public transportation and pertinent information for me).
Overall, a very pleasant experience!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. You gave us the benefit of a doubt and came to see for yourself and for that, we are ever so grateful.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon as we value your business.
Bend, OR
Reviewed 20 August 2009

Had to cancel reservations because we were not told about the pet fee. Later to find a $600 charge for a 3 night stay. I NEVER STAYED THERE!!!!! The manager is RUDE and all of the staff is uninformed.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chrisilou
salesmanager30, Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites Kent, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
We are sorry for your inconvenience with our establishment. We just want you to know that we are a pet friendly Hotel with a little fee to maintain the rooms.

For the charges, we apologize, please contact us at hsoaladaob.comfortinn@gmail.com so we can remunerate you for your inconveniece..
Ponca City
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Had feces/blood covered towels in room. Bed hard as rock. Manager refused to give discount/refund. Charged me twice. Manager would not work with me!

• Stayed April 2009
4 Thank cmiller8708
Dear Valued Customer,

We would like to acknowledge the fact that you took some of your valuable time to give us areview about our hotel. It has been a while since you did this review but I can assure you that we have made alot of improvements at our hotel. Please dont hesitate to e-mail me at hsoaladaob.comfortinn@gmail.com if you have any questions or concerns about Kent Comfort Inn.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kent
Ramada Kent Seattle Area
Best Western Plus Plaza By The Green
Red Lion Inn & Suites Kent Seattle Area
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Kent/Sea-Tac Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Kent
Best Western Seattle Airport Hotel

Been to Comfort Inn and Suites Kent? Share your experiences!