“Strictly for Special Events”

Woodmark Hotel & Still Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Kirkland
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Strictly for Special Events”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband and I were very excited to be staying at the Woodmark for his 40th HS reunion. Unfortunately, we were faced with several confusions and hassles upon checking in. The "special rate" was still fairly expensive at around $300 per night. The parking garage was a confusing, crowded, labyrinth which cost extra. The room was clean and pleasant enough if small. The bathroom was the best feature of the room. Well designed and luxurious enough. But-- the toilet was way too low, (I plopped down), the toiletries come out of large bottles with minimum squirt ability. There are so many pricey amenities such as a martini tray and gummy bear jar and Keurig coffee maker with minimal cups to get out of the way so you can have counter space, it's ridiculous! The fridge is well stocked but pricey, of course. Go up to the 24 hour Safeway in Kirkland. The event itself was fine, but had a cash bar price of $9 per drink! The mini bar was half that! Our keys got demagnetized three times and needed exchanging and finding the little white arrow on them was difficult in the darkish hallway. The official fitness center is all the way across the parking garage in a room in the office building next door! They have some association with the. nearby Fly Fitness, but that was never explained to us. Just go for a jog. The view is fine and you'll have lots of company. There was a white stain on the blue overblanket on the bed. Good things were the beautiful waterfront location, enthusiastic service, robes, chocolates, comfortable enough room, but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
howard j, General Manager at Woodmark Hotel & Still Spa, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear tonobono and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about the Woodmark Hotel. I am the General Manager of the property and was so concerned to hear the experience was less than stellar.

I am disappointed that myself and the team fell short of our usual high service delivery and wish i had the opportunity to speak with you in person during your visit.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly and can be reached at 425-803-5565.

I hope to remain your hotel of choice when traveling to the greater Kirkland, WA area.

I look forward to speaking with you and best regards,

Howard Jacobs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We went to this lovely hotel last weekend and had the best time. The staff are very well trained and went above and beyond to make sure we had a great stay. We were greeted with a glass of champagne and felt completely welcomed. Upon their suggestion, we rode the complimentary bikes around town, took the kayaks out for a journey and rented the stand up paddle boards. As we headed out for each adventure, the thoughtful staff always made sure to give us complimentary bottles of water and helpful tips. We booked the boat tour around Lake Washington and Lake Union on the hotel's classic Chris Craft boat and had a wonderful time looking at the area from the water. We ate every meal at the hotel and everything was delicious and fairly priced. Even breakfast thru room service was well priced and thoroughly satisfying. This is now my favorite hotel in the world and I look forward to returning as often as possible!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong but if you have kids in tow, splurge for a suite. It's worth it for the e...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Tacoma, WA
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My husband surprised me with a spontaneous weekend getaway at the Woodmark for our anniversary. A great property in a fantastic location right on the shore of Lake Washington in the upscale Carillon Point neighborhood. They offered us a glass of champagne upon check-in, and they provided late-night snacks in the hotel lobby! The hotel has a boat and does lake tours that you can sign up for - it was such a nice day and we had a great time cruising past the spectacular lake-front homes and going through the cut into Lake Union. The room and bathroom were very nice. There happened to be a wedding going on right outside our room, but we had fun people-watching from our balcony. Would certainly stay here again.

Separately from the hotel review as an FYI, we ate at the fine dining restaurant "bin on the lake" right next door which was pretty good (not great), and we had dessert and breakfast at the beach cafe on the property, which was good but service was only so-so. Happily, there is a Starbucks right there in the Carillon Point complex!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hambug
howard j, General Manager at Woodmark Hotel & Still Spa, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank you Hambug for the gracious comments about your recent stay with us at the Woodmark Hotel in Kirkland, Washington.

I was so pleased to read your feedback this morning and you can count on me to share the positive thoughts with our leadership team.

I also appreciate your suggestions on areas we can improve specific to the Beach Cafe service delays and Bin on the Lake's entree comments and will discuss with our Food and Beverage staff as well.

Given you have so many choices in the East Seattle area - I am thankful for your business and look forward to serving you again soon!

Best regards,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This place has a great location on the lake. Rooms are small but very nice. Linens very nice. Bathroom very nice. They have some very cute little touches to make it special, champagne at check in, snacks at 11 pm. But they miss a step or two in both banquets and housekeeping. First day housekeeping left a glass of water from previous night at bedside after cleaning the room. Last two nights no replacement of either coffee or creamers, two nights in a row. The front desk was informed the first day so there is an issue in communication or housekeeping. I was in a large group and the banquet staff was loud in back of house throughout the meetings for all three days, once someone walked in with their lunch surprised we were in the room, another time I had to go and ask them to stop talking. Lots of potential.....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bill P
Maidenhead
Reviewed 25 July 2013

A wonderful located hotel set on the shores of Lake Washington away from the hustle bustle of Seattle city centre.

The staff were very helpful and efficient and the hotel a delight to stop at. There are great views over the Lake from the Beach Café where you can have dinner and also breakfast.

Now the gripe, the initial room allocated suffered from a constant air conditioning rumble, not what you expect from this standard of hotel, we talked to the staff whom were excellent and promptly changed our room, the replacement room was silent and we had a good nights sleep.

Kingsley Top Tip 1...Don't struggle into reception with the bags, the underground car park is very close to the hotel lift at ground level so easy to unload car at leisure

Kingsley Top Tip 2....If you want to get into downtown Seattle then use the nearby Park and Ride, buses run every 30 minutes (no. 255) and takes about 20 minutes. The stops are in Seattle are right in the centre, very convenient for Pike Street Market.

Kingsley Top Tip 3....Eat at 'Bin on the Lake' fantastic meal and outlook at Sunset.

We had a very enjoyable and memorable visit and this hotel was up there with the best on our month long road trip, helped by staff whom have been well trained in customer service

Room Tip: Avoid room 302, air conditioning noise
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KingsleyRoyal
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I booked our reservation on Travelocity the morning of the day of arrival. We arrived at the hotel around 6 p.m. & we were told that we had no reservation, they've been sold out for days & they had no rooms at all. I had the Travelocity confirmation that showed we had a confirmed reservation. I know this was a Travelocity glitch & don't blame Woodmark.

I was very upset because we were exhausted & had really looked forward to a relaxing evening at a nice hotel by the water. Mike was sympathetic and professional. He took charge & found us a room at the Westin downtown Seattle, arranged for Woodmark to pay for our night there, in addition to offering us a refund.

The whole mess ended up being a blessing in disguise because we loved staying in downtown Seattle & got to see so much more than we expected to.

Instead of taking the refund we asked Mike if he had any rooms available for the following night since we were planning to be in the area 2 nights, which he did. After a great night at the Westin & a fabulous day in downtown Seattle, we came back to the Woodmark for the next night's stay. Our room was upgraded & beautiful, the service was impeccable, the location was spectacular and we absolutely loved the Woodmark & will definitely stay here again. The "raid the pantry" was so fun too! Free snacks from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m.

This was our first trip to the Seattle area and we can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: we loved the balcony in the room
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank De H
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This property is truly beautiful. Perfect location on the Lake. Nice restaurants. Lots of Microsoft, t Mobile and Costco money running around. Rooms are nice, but a notch below Four Seasons level. Biggest complaint is the Junior Varsity staff that runs the place. I check in at 10:50 and the 22 year old girl tells me that I'm "good" to order room service. Well, thanks, "dude". I order and a high school intern puts me on hold for 11 minutes and the returns saying "dude, the chefs are like totally gone". I then eat whatever is in the minibar for dinner, cursing Spicolli and his burn out friends. What type of 4-5 star hotel doesn't have 24 hour room service? Come on! This is Seattle not Yakima! This place has potential, but clearly needs new management and staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mr_Four_Star
howard j, General Manager at Woodmark Hotel & Still Spa, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Thank you Mr. Four Star for your feedback about your recent stay at the Woodmark Hotel. My name is Howard Jacobs and as the General Manager of the Hotel am very concerned about the challenges you encoutered with the Reception team.

I can assure you that this is not the typical type of interaction our guests receive or would expect and will certainly address across our staff.

I know you have many choices when traveling to the Greater Kirkland, WA area and look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to discussing your comments with the team today.

Best regards,

Howard Jacobs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkland
Hyatt Regency Bellevue
#1 of 29 in Bellevue
Downtown
Kimpton Alexis Hotel
Kimpton Alexis Hotel
#3 of 101 in Seattle
Grand Hyatt Seattle
#6 of 101 in Seattle

Been to Woodmark Hotel & Still Spa? Share your experiences!