“Don't Go!”

Le Grand Bistro Americain
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Grand Bistro Americain is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 275 Restaurants in Kirkland
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lake Washington Blvd
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This restaurant has a terrific location with a beautiful view. Unfortunately it is terrible. We went as a small group for a weekday dinner. Kirkland has beautiful sunsets during the summer so we were excited to go.
There were several issues and we left frustrated and disappointed we spent money here at all. First, the restaurant did not have our reservation ready when we arrived. This was a small issue but we waited for ~10 minutes to sit down. The server was mediocre... decent but nothing great. They accidentally gave us double the amount of oysters that we ordered which was a nice mistake but also then tried to charge us for them. The appetizers came out in a timely fashion but our entrees did not arrive for another 60+ minutes. Typically there is no reason for there to be such a long delay between courses. The manager came over and said it would be very soon but it was still another 10 minutes.
Overall I wouldn't recommend this restaurant. The Beach Café is right next door and is less expensive with better service.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is one of the best reataurants my family has ever been to. The food was excellent and our server Rachel was outstanding. She was attentive without being overly so.
If you like oysters, this is the place to go. We had oysters called "Fat B__tard", they tasted of the sea, were creamy and delicious. When we go back to the Seattle area, we will definitely return here. All of the entrees we had were fantastic.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The entire family enjoyed the meal and we wanted to go back but we wanted to explore other places. If you are in Kirkland, sit outside and enjoy a great dinner. My wife really enjoyed the seafood.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Le Grand Bistro Americain

My husband really wanted to try this restaurant since the last time we were at The Beach Cafe as the menu looked quite inviting. The decor was very nice and "high-end" looking, and it had a great view of the water. We finally made a reservation and were excited to have our dinner there.

As I left the car, my husband asked me to inquire about seats by the window. When I entered the restaurant, I dutifully asked the hostess about our reservation for 3 and asked if we could have a window seating as I could see clearly that there were 2 four-diner tables in front of me right by the door. I was told that those were being saved for customers celebrating their anniversaries, which (to me) meant that people had made reservations indicating as such. We were promptly seated in a booth at the very back of the restaurant.

When my husband arrived, our server showed us their feature menu. It was to my disappointed when I saw that the "foie gras" had been crossed out. He indicated that they had 10 servings, and had just sold the last one. This was at 7:15.

I ordered the Onion soup gratinee for appetizer with escargot bourgignon as an entree. My daughter ordered their macaroni side. My husband could not decide between the beef bourgignon and the housemade sausage, so I suggested ordering both to try. (That way, he can share some protein with my daughter.)

The bread came first. It was the the typical hard crusted French bread, so we were able to enjoy the slices without gum torture. My soup (1 cup) was perfectly seasoned (not too salty) and with just the right amount of onion and cheese ratio. My daughter's macaroni was a huge platter which she enjoyed by finishing about 1/3 of it. She commented that while it was supposed to be with 3 cheese, it was not too cheesy (meaning she liked it.) I found it a bit bland to my taste. My husband's beef bourgignon was OK. The size was good, but I found the meat stringy, and I did not particularly like the sauce. It occurred to me that it may just not be a dish I would ever order. The sausage was a bit dry or my liking as well and not amount of mustard could help that. The most disappointing item on the menu was the escargots. The butter was bland and very much reduced to oil. I have had escargot many times before where the butter was so delicious that I would dip my French bread into it after I finished my escargot. Let me just say that I found it difficult to eat the last two escargot pieces, and I did NOT bother with the dipping.

Overall, this was a disappointing visit. While the service (by our server) was top notch, the rest of the restaurant experience was mediocre. To top it off, as we were leaving (within the 1.5 hour parking limit), we walked by the 2 empty four-diner tables by the window. I would give this restaurant a MISS.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We dine out on a very regular basis and tend to gravitate to "sweet spot" restaurants where the food, service and ambiance are at high levels but the price is still reasonable yet not "put the napkin on your lap" pretentious (you know what I mean). We want to have a good regular menu but especially want regular rotating, chef-prepared specials to keep things fresh and surprising. Obviously the service needs to be attentive but not obnoxious.

We eat at Le Grand Bistro Americain two to three times per month because it is a sweet spot restaurant that meets all the above criteria. We generally order from the specials board the wait staff brings to the table because we like the variety. Throw in water views, chef-prepared EXCELLENT specials (always try the fish specials!), creative cocktails (hint: get the Le Pamplemousse!) and a good selection of wine. Two cocktails, salads and entrees off the specials board will run you $120 or so.